ee-pc (1 Viewer)

iversion

HSC
N/A
hi,
im looking to get a small netbook thingy like an ee-pc but not exactly ee-pc. main reason is its small/portable and all i need is internet connection, word processing/ms office and maybe windows media player. does anyone have any suggestions for which brand laptop would be good to get?
i saw in jb hifi that they rent out these little laptops, is it a good idea?

thnx for any suggestions.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Hi.

If you plan to do any amount of writing or programming on it, then you really are going to need a 10 inch model (e.g. MSI Wind, HP Mininote, etc). The reason for this is simply that otherwise the keyboard becomes too small and typos become frequent.

Besides that, all netbook models will be able to handle your movies and music just fine (forget what the dealers say - they just want to you to buy a netbook AND a laptop/desktop).

It'll even be able to handle your old games (I'm thinking pre-2004), if you have any.

My suggestion: MSI Wind.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
MSI Wind.

Having one as part of my collection it is quite powerful for its size.
I use MS Office 2007 and watch anime on it with Windows Media Player and/or VLC player and it works a treat.
It can connect to the internet if wireless is enabled, through Ethernet or USB.

InV0ke

HSC
only 1 thing to be aware of:
Never EVER get an Acer Aspire One, Dell Mini or EE-Pc
i used to work at officeworks, and LOL @ amount of repairs we had to raise for those machines, theres a really unlucky guy who has came in for about 8 times as far as i've counted to repair/exchange his Acer Aspire One he rentsmart-ed. And also, dell mini was DOA (dead on arrival.)

oh and HP, if you dont want to deal with HP or dont have time to, don't get it because they only deal directly with the customers.
best customer service after purchase is Toshiba

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
i've used the asus eee-pc and it is basic (and good for stuff like internet/word etc), but my hands are way to big for the keyboard. if you're a chick/asian it might be easier for you.

For the record i ended up buying an asus eee box for use as a server, it's awesome and runs on low power

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
MSI wind, I love mine, and i have never regretted my purchase, jsut get the 6-cell model, or buy a nine cell, although the 9-cell battery can get bulky

kokodamonkey

HSC
Only buy it if you are planning on portable use. These sort of things are NOT a substitute for a proper laptop for permanent use in a bedroom etc. these are only good for travelling. Don't buy them and think you can do kickass word processing on it.. these are designed for and only good for one thing... Internet, Internet, Internet and oh by the way did i mention Internet?

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Only buy it if you are planning on portable use. These sort of things are NOT a substitute for a proper laptop for permanent use in a bedroom etc. these are only good for travelling. Don't buy them and think you can do kickass word processing on it.. these are designed for and only good for one thing... Internet, Internet, Internet and oh by the way did i mention Internet?
mine is my primary computer. i don't see why one can not be.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
small screen and small keyboard - not very practical for long sessions infront of a computer.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
the only thing that a bigger screen so far has come into handy for is powerpoint

iversion

HSC
N/A
thanks for all the replies everyone.

yeah, i was thinking the keys/screen might be a bit too small for long sessions of computer work but i figured that the portability/ability to use whilst travelling overrides this drawback..

by the way, i dont need it for programming. just writing word documents and streaming music/vids and browsing internet.

Last edited:

iversion

HSC
N/A
so it seems like msi wind is the outright favourite then.

is it small/light though?? im looking for portability in particular.

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
Don't buy an HP whatever you do.

Get an MSI Wind.
what's wrong with hp? i'm using mine right now, and am very happy with it (well, everything except the shiny screen which is a pain outdoors). a hp mini 1001TU to be exact. has the closest thing to a full-sized keyboard that i could find on a netbook (mini portable laptop) for under $1000 locally. and the full-sized keyboard was the main thing i was after :)

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
so it seems like msi wind is the outright favourite then.

is it small/light though?? im looking for portability in particular.
It's almost spot on 1kg iirc. I'm using it now, it's exceeded my expectations.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i have the eeepc 1000HD.. 2gb ram and 250gb HDD

works a treat.. have used the MSI wind too both are fine.. the price point for the wind is very decent tho.. the U100 and U90 ... but no the U110.. due to the 1gb ram limit..its soldered onboard

although the U120 from msi looks promising too

also consider the samsung NC10 and NC110 very nice netbooks..

i got mine cos it was cheaper than the MSI wind..at the time.. and i prefer the keyboard.. its heavier i think too.. just see what works for you...they are pretty similar... but stick with 10inch unless you like squinting.. i have 6/4.5 vision so i have no problems as this being my primary computer

get 6-cells they can last you about 1/2 to a full day at uni..

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
the MSI wind is very very light, i keep it in my handbag, in the slip to take to uni, i just put 1GB of ram in mine now, i have 2gb not noticing much difference, i don't think it needed it much i just did it so in the future i don't need to bother.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
the MSI wind is very very light, i keep it in my handbag, in the slip to take to uni, i just put 1GB of ram in mine now, i have 2gb not noticing much difference, i don't think it needed it much i just did it so in the future i don't need to bother.
i notice the improvements post-hibernation and with multiple tabs and youtube :)

*Jezzza

HSC
Uni Grad
MSI Wind, I know people who have them and they tell me that it is quite good, light, good battery life etc. I intend to buy one unless my school gives me one for free :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)