enantiostasis (1 Viewer)

felafel

ah this is such an ambiguous term . . .

what have you guys learnt at school?

what's the difference between enantiostasis and homeostasis?

queenie

I know what ur thinkin...
HSC
? this is manintaing a balance man..

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
yea... enantiostasis is the maintaining of relative stable internal conditions wif great variations in the surrounding conditions such as salinity (mangroves, best eg!!!) pH (uhm, not entirely sure, but yea... ) and so on...

if my memory serves me right, then you also need to remember an eg... i remmeber mangrove, so easy to remember:
exclusion, secretion, accumulation... =)

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
and homeostasis is the maintainance of a relatively stable or constant internal environment. eg. kangaroos licking their forearms lol. a personal fave eg

kittycat552

enantiostasis is the maintenance of metabolic and physiological conditions in response to variations in the environment

Abtari

HSC
enantiostasis...is this correct?

i still dont understand the definition though. Enantiostasis seems similar to homeostasis. From what i know, enantiostasis is the maintenance of metabolic and physiological conditions in response to fluctuations in the external environment, in the absence of homeostasis.

Take for example, osmoconformers. Little crabby creatures that do not regulate their water and salt concentrations in their body (fish - osmoregulator). How do their enzymes function optimally, if their osmolarity is varying with the tide? They do not have any complex homeostatic feedback systems for it, rather they "nullify" the change by establishing another process in the body that cushions the effects of the first.

This is what i think anyway. If anyone has any ideas pls let me know. :) :)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
that's basically true...
but in homeostasis, u are trying to maintain relative internal conditions
whereas in enantiostasis, u are trying to maintain physiological functionality despite the external fluctuation conditions... (so internal condition can fluctuate... so long as u r still healthy)... so if u can live in a salt concentration between 1M and 111M, then enantiostasis does not have to be homeostasis

valour

HSC
N/A
enantiostasis vs homeostasis

Homeostasis is usually fairly clear for most people, the organism's body adjusts factors so that the conditions of its internal environment (pH, temp, solute concentration etc ) remains within a fairly narrow range - close enough to say that it is maintained at a constant level or balance.

Enantiostasis is where an organism can maintain maintain its normal functioning despite the outside environment changing. It can do this whilst NOT maintaining homeostasis - e.g. the salt levels in an organism can increase (therefore not homeostatic ) as the tide comes into an eusteuary but it has mechanism so that its normal metabolic and physiological functioning can be maintained as per normal. If an organism didn't have these mechanisms of coping with the fluctuating external environment which in turn affects its internal environment (as it does in an eusteuary) then the organism would simply die if the level fell outside its homeostatic range. It doesn't die because of the mechanisms its employs for enantiostasis - i.e. the ability to keep functioning normally despite fluctuating internal environments.
Hope this helps - it is a stupid hing to have in the syllabus anyway as it is such a narrow thing to study - all references on the entire www (except a few spanish ones) are directly linked to the NSW HSC. No-else in the world seems to study it. Obviously some professor studying and teaching mangroves got into the ear of the BOS as they were making this syllabus amd pushed his own narrow blinkered barrow - still its in there, so you have to know it -
Good luck.

Twiggyy

twiggy
HSC
hey

hey i just studied this 2day so its a good practice lol

ok the difference between homeostasis and entanoisasis isnt very big but there is a difference.

ok the difference is those living in estuaries and areas where there is variations and salt differences in their surroundings do not have the ability to maintain their internal temperatures through homeistatis.. so instead they exhibit/have entaniostasis to ensure their survival in their environment.. some species are crabs and saltfish who cannot control their internal water and salt levels. So it is much harder for these organisms to surviive and maintain a stable internal environment...So to respond to these daily changes in salinity, its important for them to do it through the process of entaniostasis as they cant do it thru homeostasis..

so in other words they have entaniostasis instead of homeostasis..

lol i hope that helps :)

Bokky

HSC
ok "enantiostasis" and "homeostasis" is both in the MAINTAINING A BALANCE topic, not blueprint of life.

ENANTIOSTASIS:
Maintenance of metabolic and physiological functions in response to variations in the environment. An estuary is where river meets salt water from the sea. Estuarine organisms must be able to respond to changes in salinity. eg. Eels and Trout that move from the sea to rivers must have adaptations to deal with the salt and water problems in both freshwater and marine environments. Eels have special cells in their gills that can act as salt absorbers and salt excretors.

HOMEOSTASIS:
Process by which organisms maintain a relatively stable internal environment.
eg. Temperature increases --> Body sweats --> Temperature decreases. The nervous system which carries out the feedback mechanism is vital for this role.

Michiru

HSC
did YOU know that the term was only included in the syllabus after some dude found it in a university biology dictionary and decided it was cool to stick a techy term in the course?!

is that nutty or what?! =P

morgan28

HSC
Re: hey

hey i just studied this 2day so its a good practice lol

ok the difference between homeostasis and entanoisasis isnt very big but there is a difference.

ok the difference is those living in estuaries and areas where there is variations and salt differences in their surroundings do not have the ability to maintain their internal temperatures through homeistatis.. so instead they exhibit/have entaniostasis to ensure their survival in their environment.. some species are crabs and saltfish who cannot control their internal water and salt levels. So it is much harder for these organisms to surviive and maintain a stable internal environment...So to respond to these daily changes in salinity, its important for them to do it through the process of entaniostasis as they cant do it thru homeostasis..

so in other words they have entaniostasis instead of homeostasis..

lol i hope that helps :)
OMG I LOVE YOU I GET IT NOW :D:D:D ah it feels so good THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU. :D

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
lol

enantiostasis - Google Scholar

53 references in the entire literature and it's been included in a high school syllabus (for comparison, platypus has 17,800, and antidisestablishmentarianism has 375)

PubMed gives 1 paper, 454 for platypus, and 2 for antidisestablishmentarianism, which has nothing to do with the life sciences

we can therefore conclude that 'antidisestablishmentarianism' is more justified in being in the biology syllabus than enantiostasis

what a fucked syllabus, lol

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A
also, there's ppl at my uni who work on mangroves, and the word wasn't in the ecology course that they run even once

so basically

more hsc kids know the word than the entire world's population of biologists, and it's appeared approximately 50 times in the literature in the entire history of science

they might as well just make shit up for u to learn

Lukybear

HSC
also, there's ppl at my uni who work on mangroves, and the word wasn't in the ecology course that they run even once

so basically

more hsc kids know the word than the entire world's population of biologists, and it's appeared approximately 50 times in the literature in the entire history of science

they might as well just make shit up for u to learn
Mangroves don't utilize entantiostasis (correct me if im wrong). But the blue crab does, and it varies its internal pH conditions in relation to saline concentration of estuary to ensure proper metabolic functioning.

Gedi-Master

HSC
Mangroves don't utilize entantiostasis (correct me if im wrong). But the blue crab does, and it varies its internal pH conditions in relation to saline concentration of estuary to ensure proper metabolic functioning.
Yep that's right,

mangroves use homeostasis,

and the blue crab alters its internal pH conditions so that they are at the optimum level for enzyme function in order to compensate for the loss of metabolic efficiency caused by a change in salt concentration

:)

Matt2233

HSC
enantiostasis is the maintenance of metabolic and physiological conditions in response to variations in the environment
Mangroves maintain their physiological and metabolic conditions in response to changes in the environment, therefore they do use enantiostasis

Also, if you look at the syllabus it pretty much spells it out that mangroves are the suggested example.

Last edited:

Lukybear

HSC
So then define homeostasis vs enantiostasis. And it dosent really spell it out. Organisms can still use homeostasis in an estuarine environment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)