English Advanced vs English Standard (1 Viewer)

zergcave

HSC
guys? im still in preliminary atm doing the notorious english advanced course...its heading closer to the end of year 11 tho and i have to make a decision soon whether or not to drop advanced and do standard english instead....arrgH fk.....
im havin a bit of trouble in ad...barely passing but these are the only units im worried bout - ill do well in the others.

so pplez?....how would we compare advanced english against general english.?
its apparently far easier than advanced isnt it?? :vcross:
but what else ?...will i be encountering extensive shakesspearean texts, and the like in standard.
hows the scaling...? i reckon its better for me to get a 70% in stndard than a 50% in advanced dont u fink
and sht! we do the same HSc exam paper :confused:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Of course they scale different...so advaced scales better than english becasue it's...advanced...but in theory you should get the same mark either way. The texts you do depends on your teacher...if their autocratic and Hitler like (such as mine) then you have no say, but if your teacher is the kind and mousey type, cut and thrust I say! twist their arm and do texts YOU want...construct your OWN world - UP THE BRITISH...ahem...We do 2 papers in english. The first paper is done by all engliso compadrees, whilst the second is unique to your level, you silly naughty ninny.
I find standard challenging enough and it's very cool and i like it and it's fun and it's something to look forward to and debate in and its not like 'this is the work, learn it' and its fun and fuzzy and introspective and a bit of a stuff-around...like this post. Good-day.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I propose that the last comment be striken from the record; reason: It's devistating to my case

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
i did advanced for a while in yr 11 as well and barely passed too. So you can be put down by all the clever people around you who get like 18 or 19 out of 20 all the time.
Standard english is waaay easier. Texts are not discussed in as much detail and very easy to understand. There's pretty much no competition between students at all.
In my case, my marks are much better compared to when i was in advanced.
i reckon you should drop too if ur suffering in advanced

santaslayer

HSC
Iron woman said:
I propose that the last comment be striken from the record; reason: It's devistating to my case
Hey, I only knew a few months after my HSC! :p

shazzam

acta est fabula
HSC
hmm...standard english gets capped, you can't get into band 6 doing
it. That's why all the selectives force students to do advanced.

santaslayer

HSC
One student out of the entire state last year got a band six for standard English. I don't know where you get that idea from. :p

C

CaR

It's a good idea to have a go at standard english if you really do find difficulty in advanced english. There's no point staying up there in Advanced English aiming for a band 6 and struggle with the entire course because you're bound not to achieve a band 6. @.@

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
i think the person who started this thread has since died of a severe pepptic olsar

astro

HSC
my teacher told us that advanced automatically get ten marks before we even before we sit for the exam...i guess most of the class was conned...probably accounted for many of them dropping down to standard after first assessment

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
CaR said:
There's no point staying up there in Advanced English aiming for a band 6 and struggle with the entire course because you're bound not to achieve a band 6. @.@
it's sad how people always refer to advanced english as 'up there' and standard english as 'down there'

onigiri

HSC
I'm in prelim as well and was faced with that problem. my teacher told half my class that half of them should consider dropping to standard english. And I was faced with that dilemma when I got my marks from my exams. But I decided I would stick to advanced. Because you should try to work harder rather than dropping to standard and running away from the problem.

zergcave

HSC
yea mayb i could drop down to general english....but then theres all this scary talk with bad scaling.
Now ive heard (from a teacher's pet) that because im born in australia, my mark will be scaled down more than those who've been in australia for less than 5y. can someone verify this for me?
this is possibly a means of discouraging aussies from choosing the 'dumber' english course

santaslayer

HSC
I think what the teacher's pet is referring to is Standard English Vs ESL. I've heard ESL is actually scaled higher but I can't verify it. You don't really need to worry since you'll never be eligible to do ESL anyway.

nathan_ernest

near black Mt which is near guyra which is near ur
HSC
You people need to be really careful about what you say about the course. IT IS POSSIBLE to get a band 6 in standard english. Most people dont realise how your moderated mark comes back. It works of your HSC EXAM mark and your ASSESMENT MARK. You can get band 6 if your marks are higher than those in advanced, thats why teachers really try to push you down to standard if your no good.
E.G. A student gets 15/20 for their hsc mark in advanced while another get 18/20 for standard. The standard students mark will come back greater because of the gap between the top mark in advanced vs the top mark in standard. I know that probably doesn't mean much to alot of people. Its not capped.
4 students in NSW last year (2003) got band 6 in english and only studied the standard course. Its the same problem as the UAI. 6 of the students who acheived a UAI of 100 did advanced but not 3 or 4 unit english, music, general maths, japanese, legal studies adn buisness studies. They did subjects which may seem easy but they still got very high marks and acheived such a high UAI. You don't need to do the 4 unit maths and 4 unit english and bio and chem and physics in order to get a high UAI. Think about it.

Gemstone

Standard and advanced english scale the same. They use the AOS paper as a moderator. If they didn't have a common paper then Advanced would scale better.

Standard is capped and you can't get band 6. However if you do well in the AOS paper it pulls your marks up. The top of standard is above the bottom of advanced anyway. So if your doing bad in Advanced it might be good to come down to standard. The main differences in the courses is that Standard doesn't have as big a focus on text analysis and is more focused on the themes.

This is all what my English teacher explained to us so I think it's right. Sounds right anyway.

Gems

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)