English Advanced vs English Standard (1 Viewer)

Scanorama

HSC
Last yeat there was one person got Band 6 in Standard English. My tutor told me it is possible, but you have to write lots of fantastic essays through out the year. Very high assessments mark and very high exam marks is a must to get to Band 6. My tutor also said if that person was doing Advanced, she will also got Band 6.

So it is possible to get Band 6 in Standard but is just very very hard.

santaslayer

HSC
mushroom_head said:
4 students got band 6?!? didn't someone just say there was only one person who got it?
There was only one who got a band 6 in Standard English last year. Who told you 4? :confused:

santaslayer

HSC
Tell him he's wrong and I'm right. I have the whole BoS backing me up.
Alternatively, ask Lazarus for confirmation. :p

onigiri

HSC
santaslayer said:
Tell him he's wrong and I'm right. I have the whole BoS backing me up.
Alternatively, ask Lazarus for confirmation. :p
lol. yeh it was only 1 person who got band 6 in standard. it was in the newspaper last year to confirm! I think you can look up newspaper archives.

Gemstone said:
Standard is capped and you can't get band 6.
Standard isn't capped. But essentially the average skill of a standard student is a band 4. Therefore when your going crap in advanced, teachers tell you to go to standard cos it seems like ur skills most likely won't get you a band 5 or 6.

Mizuki

HSC
N/A
I'm in year 11 this year and did the advanced HSC course but I stopped (right before the trials -_-) cause my assesment marks were extremely low and so I'll be changing to standard next year^^

zergcave

HSC
Saudah said:
I'm in year 11 this year and did the advanced HSC course but I stopped (right before the trials -_-) cause my assesment marks were extremely low and so I'll be changing to standard next year^^
dropped before the trials? so then what happens to your assessment marks during that year?

they still count dont they? how else are u going to be skool assessed

Mizuki

HSC
N/A
no, they won't count. I intend to do the standard course next year and do all the assessments over again...I just won't sit the HSC paper for english this year, yay!

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
i have a question:

you know how standard scales exactly the same as advanced as mentioned somewhere before, then why doesn't everyone do standard english since it's so much easier and you're bound to get a higher mark than if u did advanced?

Mizuki

HSC
N/A
errrr...dunno, maybe some people like a challenge<.<

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
If you work hard you can do anything! My friend was so crap before now he's coming 6th in our class I think. I was coming 5th last year in advanced now im coming 1st! Just take it a bit at a time, improve with every task you get. My friend just got 17/20 for a task and she's over the moon, 2nd best in the class for that task and is usually getting very average marks. Im so happy for her. Its just a matter of pushing forward and continually trying to achieve your personal best. Also read lots of essays, pick up on words, use them, add them into your vocabulary, practice essays,etc. Its worth it if you work hard. Dont give up so easily.

Just a few words of encouragement. :)

Antwan23q

God
HSC
the father of your mother's children

hmmm what about the people who are like me, I do english advanced, and im going average, im still waiting on my marks for my yearly and last task, but i'm not to sure about staying in it. I plan to do extension 2 maths, and my teacher recommended me to drop because of the work load. But my brother told me that I should keep it, because when he did his hsc, he did extension 2 maths, physics, chem, and standard english, but because im doing legal studies instead of chem, he thinks that this will bring my uai down if I do standard. I think standard will be better for me. What do you people think?

zergcave

HSC
Antwan23q said:
hmmm what about the people who are like me, I do english advanced, and im going average, im still waiting on my marks for my yearly and last task, but i'm not to sure about staying in it. I plan to do extension 2 maths, and my teacher recommended me to drop because of the work load. But my brother told me that I should keep it, because when he did his hsc, he did extension 2 maths, physics, chem, and standard english, but because im doing legal studies instead of chem, he thinks that this will bring my uai down if I do standard. I think standard will be better for me. What do you people think?
im in a similar situation to urself.
my assessment marks in advanced english have been crap (despite feeling that ive understood the texts very well). and so - ive had enough!! thats it!!
im dropping to standard!!!
im also doing 4u maths next year so hopefully this choice will ease my workload?

ive had plenty of advice from my past-hsc friends, but none of them can realli help me make the imporant decision - drop or keep. So many of my post-hsc friends that i have come across have had their uai ruined by english *suprisesuprise*. and even someone doing 4u maths (1st in the form) is not immune to the adverse scaling of english. my friend aced 4u but completely bombed out in adv - resulting in uai of only 89 (low for someone doing 4u maths, economics, chem). pft. he advised me to drop - dont make the same mistake he did and overestimate urself.
others had their university hopes dashed due to poor english marks.

in short, 85% of the hsc candidature do the standard english. therefore in doing advanced - you are saying youre in the states top 15%.

ask yourself honestly...are you capable??

zergcave

HSC
mushroom_head said:
i have a question:

you know how standard scales exactly the same as advanced as mentioned somewhere before, then why doesn't everyone do standard english since it's so much easier and you're bound to get a higher mark than if u did advanced?
why doesnt everyone do standard?
even though the scaling is the same (supposedly)..........
the texts studied in advanced are much more ... sophisticated ...and thus follows a higher quality of responses from the adv candidature?
whereas in standard the texts are not as detailed and not studied to as great in depth. therefore your responses from the standard pple are not as high in quality. Also the pple in standard tend to be DUMB!!! (they dont know jackshit, half of them dont give a jackshit) hahaha? yes its true - does any standard class have a truly smart person in there. no they (generally) are in the advanced classrooms.

cameron0110

HSC
Well the main reason people don't do standard rather than advanced is that they don't scale anywhere near the same. Standard has a scaled mean of 18. something and advanced is 31 or 32 out of 50- plus i think standard is capped as well so you can't even get certain marks in standard rather than advanced. I have no idea what sort of marks would make it better for you to be doing standard rather than advanced but if you had a slight chance of getting band 5 or 6 in advanced then you would be better off doing it than standard, even in terms of lower marks in most cases advanced would be better than standard. Plus I actually reckon AoS is the hardest part of english and I do advanced, so in my case there would be no point dropping down to standard (not that i have the choice)

Antwan23q

God
HSC
cameron0110 said:
Well the main reason people don't do standard rather than advanced is that they don't scale anywhere near the same. Standard has a scaled mean of 18. something and advanced is 31 or 32 out of 50- plus i think standard is capped as well so you can't even get certain marks in standard rather than advanced.

wha??? i read at this site, the scaling link, it says that english standard and advanced are scaled the same!!! so i decided to drop that shit advanced, and im also number 1 at school for maths, 3u + 2u

Symone

I did three unit english and then dropped to standard, it is heaps easier and if you are an advanced student youshould be able to go well in it, therefore your scaling shouldn't be too bad

thebearcub

shazzam said:
hmm...standard english gets capped, you can't get into band 6 doing
it. That's why all the selectives force students to do advanced.
that's not true, I go to a selective school and we have 2 classes of Standard students.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)