EU: Nepal faces danger of collapsing as a state (1 Viewer)

Comrade nathan

HSC
Don’t fail Nepal

9 October 2005

THE European Union has warned that Nepal faces the danger of collapsing as a state. The EU delegation was hardly exaggerating when it warned that unless all parties concerned took immediate corrective steps, the landlocked Himalayan country could completely collapse. By underscoring the necessity of restoring democracy and normal political process to put Nepal back on the track, the EU has put its finger right on the spot.

It is not as if the world’s only Hindu kingdom was the model of good governance before King Gyanendra dismissed Prime Minister Deuba and suspended political process in the country. But there is little doubt that the monarch has exacerbated the political and social chaos in the country and added Himalayan dimensions to his impoverished people’s woes.

The king seized power accusing the government of Prime Minister Deuba of failing to deal with the Maoist problem and conducted elections on time. However, since the king took power, the Maoists have become all the more powerful. There is no rule of law in Nepal today and tens of thousands of families are fleeing to neighbouring countries to escape the crushing poverty, violence and lawlessness in the land which once was a favourite tourist destination.

The only way to save Nepal is to restore democracy and form a national government of all parties until fresh elections are held. Earlier the king realises this the better for his country and people. For far too long, the international community has watched the goings on in Nepal with detached indifference. It’s time to get involved and save a helpless nation.

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/Displayarticle.asp?xfile=data/editorial/2005/October/editorial_October22.xml&section=editorial&subsection=editorial

Let's hope it fails, and with it brings the emergence of a peoples state.

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Which will then fail and become a capitalist state.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
lol, Maoist rebels. What exactly makes a rebel 'Maoist' and does this then mean they are backed by China, if not with physical assistance then at least with a mutual ideological understanding?

If I was Bhutan, I would invade the province that had the least Maoists and build a few mountaintop resorts, and create a fledgling tourism economy.

Comrade nathan

HSC
The Maoist control 60% of the country. They have not for a long time lost a major gun fight against the Royal Army. They have enough power to make blockades on the capital, and do education work at high schools in the urban areas. There main support power is in the peasants, who wish to remove the years of Religious and caste opression. They are not supported by China, and China has support the King's suspension of multi party democracy.

This has pushed many of the parties to call for the removal of the King, and now they have showed more support for the Maoist and are looking towards a government with the Maoist. They have stated that they support what the Maoist want, but do not wish to use violent means.

The King is the most unpopular he has ever been, his riegn is coming to a end.

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
Wasn't the current King the guy who shot up his royal family with a machine gun? Or was it a relative?

My memory eludes me.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I believe the current king might be the psychopath's uncle, since I recall the uncle was the only survivor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)