Evaluating the effectiveness of the legal and non-legal responses in the Caroline Byrne case (1 Viewer)

tbrooke18

HSC
Hi there.

I have to write some PEEL paragraphs for an evaluation of responses in the Caroline Byrne case -- if anybody is unfamiliar, you should look at it. It's really quite an interesting case, and my opinion on Godron Wood's guilt changes a lot.

I am aware of what the criteria mean, however, I'm struggling to select ones to write about as I'm not totally sure how to produce A-level essay paragraphs evaluating these criteria -- my worry is writing unrelated things or rambling nonsense that doesn't make sense.

As a reminder, here are the criteria mentioned in the preliminary course syllabus:
  • Resource efficiency
  • Accessibility
  • Enforceability
  • Responsiveness
  • Protection of individual rights
  • Meeting society's needs
  • Application of the rule of law
  • Has justice been achieved?
The final criteria is one that links heavily with each of the other criteria also, so I always make sure to speak about how they are effective/ineffective in helping justice to be achieved.

My legal studies teacher highlighted protection of individual rights, meeting society's needs, and application of the rule of law as suitable criteria and she provided us with exemplary A, B, and C-level paragraphs for the protection of individual rights criteria. I managed to write a paragraph for that same criteria, as well as one for accessibility of non-legal responses such as the media impeding the achievement of justice for all parties involved. But, I don't know how to talk about the other two, or any of the others in relation to this issue.

Any help or ideas in relation to how to talk about any of these criteria?

Thanks a lot.

specificagent1

HSC
Responsiveness
The legal system was certainly responsive but has this response really substantiated into an practical justice for the family of the victim and has justice been achieved?

Protection of individual rights
Wood proceeded with a civil case after this. What does this say about individual rights?
Additionally the struggle between individual rights and society's right. Should he be allowed to sue the state?
Did he have access to a fair trial?

Application of the rule of law
Did the jury over step their responsibility? Maybe sometimes the legal system fails to enforce the rule of law. While we have strict laws in place, sometimes compliance and enforcement may be an issue. How was the responsiveness to the actions of the jury?

Resource efficiency
What has all these legal proceedings achieved? justice? retribution? Has this been a waste of resources? or should we pursue all possible paths towards justice even if it means wasting resources because the right of society and individuals towards justice is paramount?

tbrooke18

HSC
The legal system was certainly responsive but has this response really substantiated into an practical justice for the family of the victim and has justice been achieved?

Wood proceeded with a civil case after this. What does this say about individual rights?
Additionally the struggle between individual rights and society's right. Should he be allowed to sue the state?
Did he have access to a fair trial?

Did the jury over step their responsibility? Maybe sometimes the legal system fails to enforce the rule of law. While we have strict laws in place, sometimes compliance and enforcement may be an issue. How was the responsiveness to the actions of the jury?

What has all these legal proceedings achieved? justice? retribution? Has this been a waste of resources? or should we pursue all possible paths towards justice even if it means wasting resources because the right of society and individuals towards justice is paramount?
Thank you! I'll have a go at it later today.

tbrooke18

HSC
This helped me so much, I think it will be good for you.
Thanks so much for this! I just read over it and it definitely explained them in a bit more depth than I'd pieced together previously. We don't look at consistency as one of our criteria, perhaps because it's not included in the BOS syllabus, but it's interesting to see how that can help evaluate the legal system and the law.
I'll have another go at writing later, thanks for your help! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)