expelled = ? (1 Viewer)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Better get your act together because in current circumstances, if you think you're going to uni, you're kidding yourself.

Jinpoo

HSC
Muz4PM said:
I have a question, will the illegible posts in this thread be translated into English so as we may render assistance to this person? I am willing to give my opinion, but it is difficult when I am reading something tantamount to gibberish.
Was the post really illegible? I mean, if Tulipa can draw meaning from the original post, then is there any reason you couldn't? The internet community has thrived from convenient and often humorous colloquialisms that are often an abbreviation of a word. So if she says "sku" instead of "school", then so be it. You shouldn't flame her for typing something she obviously feels comfortable with saying! If you can't see the "sku" is "school" (in the post's original context), you yourself are the Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron. Don't be so condescending because she didn't type with flawless grammar, spelling, and punctuation, or for abbreviating words with other words. The point is to convey a message, and if that message has been successfully communicated, then job done.

I'm sorry if i seem to be blowing up here, i'm in fact a social introvert that bottles his anger :)

But really, it fucking shits me to see internet jerks flaming the life out of a thread because the post involves bad spelling. All of you, get off your high horses and realise that every time you type LOL and MEAT (in the place of "meet" - bloody funny) you are being hypocritical!

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Jinpoo said:
Was the post really illegible? I mean, if Tulipa can draw meaning from the original post, then is there any reason you couldn't? The internet community has thrived from convenient and often humorous colloquialisms that are often an abbreviation of a word. So if she says "sku" instead of "school", then so be it. You shouldn't flame her for typing something she obviously feels comfortable with saying! If you can't see the "sku" is "school" (in the post's original context), you yourself are the Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron. Don't be so condescending because she didn't type with flawless grammar, spelling, and punctuation, or for abbreviating words with other words. The point is to convey a message, and if that message has been successfully communicated, then job done.

I'm sorry if i seem to be blowing up here, i'm in fact a social introvert that bottles his anger :)

But really, it fucking shits me to see internet jerks flaming the life out of a thread because the post involves bad spelling. All of you, get off your high horses and realise that every time you type LOL and MEAT (in the place of "meet" - bloody funny) you are being hypocritical!
I've done the translation thing a looooot lately because of the hideous nature of many posts on BoS.

First of all, it's rather infuriating to give a serious answer to a serious problem when the OP is using such bastardisation of the English language.

Also "internet-speak" is lazy and ugly. There's no good reason to encourage its proliferation. If the best excuse is that it's quicker or they don't know better than for the former, get your typing speeds up by typing out words properly and for the latter, well fuck, that's just depressing.

People who abbreviate like the OP are just being lazy, they aren't "uncomfortable".

Finally, I wouldn't classify Muz4PM's post as a flame, just constructive criticism really. It could've been a lot worse.

HSC
Jinpoo said:
my problem is more that there is no effort made to make it readable.
i dont care if they use a few colloquialisms.

just... if they want to complain about something theyve caused themselves, then can they please at least let us read it without having to decipher what it means.

because, honestly, i spend enough time trying to decipher physics and shakespeare.

Dundasbro

HSC
-fei0x3 said:
sarcasm is the lowest form of wit
Funny how everyone seems to quote that, despite the fact that whoever said it first (Oscar Wilde? I can't remember...) was actually being sarcastic when he said it.

whatusername?

HSC
Jinpoo said:

exactly. finally someone with common sense. ive never seen the abbreviation "sku" for school before ( i normally type skool), but i still understood it. There is no need for it to be A-grade english as long as we understand it. and dont pretend u dont. do any of u text with queens english?

whatusername?

HSC
Tulipa said:
First of all, it's rather infuriating to give a serious answer to a serious problem when the OP is using such bastardisation of the English language.

Also "internet-speak" is lazy and ugly. There's no good reason to encourage its proliferation.
The english language is a degenerate form of communication. It has done away with the basic phonetics inherent in almost every other language. "Internet speak" on the other hand, by the very fact that we can understand through reading it alone (without any prior knowlegde of its pronunciation), is actually more phonetic in many cases. It may be the only way to realise Bernard Shaw's dream of a reform of the English language into one that is logical.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
whatusername? said:
do any of u text with queens english?
Actually I text using the exact same English that I use for essays, on the internet and in emails. I very rarely use any sort of abbreviation.

whatusername? said:
The english language is a degenerate form of communication. It has done away with the basic phonetics inherent in almost every other language. "Internet speak" on the other hand, by the very fact that we can understand through reading it alone (without any prior knowlegde of its pronunciation), is actually more phonetic in many cases. It may be the only way to realise Bernard Shaw's dream of a reform of the English language into one that is logical.
Also, are you actually arguing that internet speak is a superior form of communication? God you're a moronic 08er. There are currently 600,000 words in the English language with a number of phonetic nuances that I've love to see you whittle down to internet speak and make them all understandable.

Last edited:
HSC
Tulipa said:
Actually I text using the exact same English that I use for essays, on the internet and in emails. I very rarely use any sort of abbreviation.
i also use normal english except for a few acronyms. and when i say "few" i mean less than five overall.

internet/text speech is annoying to read in large doses. i tolerate it in sms form, and i rarely speak to anyone online who uses it. i wonder why?:rolleyes:

Muz4PM

HSC
Jinpoo said:

Well, mainly because I found it difficult to read and comprehend. A “sku” is a stock keeping unit. I am sure no Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron would have known that in Brave New World.
<O:p
I can handle some abbreviations and mistakes; I understand that it is easier to sometimes use abbreviations are easier to use, but sometimes posts and messages can become illegible. If one makes a few grammatical errors or spelling mistakes, I don’t mind, it is human nature to make errors. Indeed if I was such a grammar Nazi I would have flamed you for not using a capital “I”’ where appropriate, or beginning a sentence with but. However, I don’t mind because your post was legible and your message was able to be comprehended.
If one prevailed themselves to read my follow up posts, after Tulipa’s kind translation I was good to my word. I posted my opinion on the matter and gave what I believed to be some form of assistance to the problems posed by the original poster. I also suggested to them that they could, in future use better English as it would assist us who wish to help with our job of helping. <O:p
If I make a grammatical error, I do not believe that I am being hypocritical, we all make them, which is a fact that I highlighted earlier, however when a post becomes difficult to read I may just skip over it, and the person may not gain the advice they wished. <O:p</O:p

Muz4PM

HSC
whatusername? said:
exactly. finally someone with common sense. ive never seen the abbreviation "sku" for school before ( i normally type skool), but i still understood it. There is no need for it to be A-grade english as long as we understand it. and dont pretend u dont. do any of u text with queens english?

I don’t text in the Queen’s English. However, I do generally text with full words, rarely abbreviations. I find it easier to read and comprehend when it is in words as opposed to abbreviations and in “internet speak.”

whatusername?

HSC
Tulipa said:
Also, are you actually arguing that internet speak is a superior form of communication? God you're a moronic 08er. There are currently 600,000 words in the English language with a number of phonetic nuances that I've love to see you whittle down to internet speak and make them all understandable.
i didnt say that it was superior in all ways, simply that in many cases it is more phonetic that english- even the word English is illogically pronounced "Inglish". By opting for phonetic spelling (eg "sk" instead of "sch"), hopefully there will b a steady trend towards phonetic spelling. obviously not all words can be condensed into a phonetic form- many are too far gone down the track of irrationality. im not even advocating retarded even more illogical net spellings (of which i admit there are many). what im saying is we shouldnt be stopping a trend towards simplistic, pronounciation based spelling.
maybe one day we'll even be rid of that worthless letter "q".
if ur trying to argue that english IS logical then i suggest u open ur eyes. even scholars of the language admit that it is no longer phonetically spelled. It's also regarded by immigrants as one of the hardest languages to learn

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
what im saying is we shouldnt be stopping a trend towards simplistic, pronounciation based spelling.
You know absolutely nothing of the beauty of language. As a writer there is something stunning about the English language. It may not be "logical" as you say but whittling down words to phonetics is just plain ugly.

I'd say that a number of Asian language are actually much more difficult. Vietnamese for example - the same thing is said in about five different ways to give five vastly different meanings. Which when looked at in reverse is perhaps one reason why English is difficult for Asian immigrants.

if ur trying to argue that english IS logical then i suggest u open ur eyes.
How are you arguing that language is logical? By saying that we should write how we speak? That's a bit absurd considering the variety of accents throughout the world. Keeping the same spelling but allowing for different pronounciations is one of the best things about English in my opinion.

I'm not arguing that it makes sense because it's not phonetically spelled - that is something that makes it difficult (but then again any time you try to learn a different language it's going to be hard) but again, it allows for various accents and also for the beauty of language.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Jinpoo said:

thank you for the very intelligent post :uhhuh: . I think the people just went overboard here attacking the o.p on spelling and obviously looking down on her for being suspended when they have no idea what kind of position in life she is at the moment. They automatically assumed 'suspended+short hand spelling = dumb person'.

edit:

thought i'd add that if she is only in year 9 and worried enough to post on BOS she must care about her education to some extent.

whatusername?

HSC
Tulipa said:
You know absolutely nothing of the beauty of language.
i know enough about the beauty of language to have attempted to steer well clear of the topic. it is IMPOSSIBLE to argue beauty. just as it is impossible to argue love or religion. just doesnt work. however i will say one thing. every speaker of any language will claim that theirs is the epitome of beauty. just ask the french. so maybe a language can be beautiful and phonetical? (Note French rivals English for lack of logic so i am not using that to support my suggestion)
p.s in case u r wondering, english is the only language i speak

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
whatusername? said:
i know enough about the beauty of language to have attempted to steer well clear of the topic. it is IMPOSSIBLE to argue beauty. just as it is impossible to argue love or religion. just doesnt work. however i will say one thing. every speaker of any language will claim that theirs is the epitome of beauty. just ask the french. so maybe a language can be beautiful and phonetical? (Note French rivals English for lack of logic so i am not using that to support my suggestion)
p.s in case u r wondering, english is the only language i speak
I didn't say English did I?

I said language.

:)

boris

Banned
HSC
I always get pissed off at language arguments.
"Why can't we abbreviate?! We all know that sku meant school, so if we know what the OP was implying it doesn't matter how it was spelt!"

Well it does fucking matter. Show some pride in written language, damnit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)