Explanation of HSC Marks (Moderating) (1 Viewer)

Jmee1058

HSC
Ok so kinda new here but this is what i have been told again and again

Take this hypothetical situation

internal assessment -

John - 90
Therese - 85
George - 80

Say these were the top three marks

Now in the exam

Therese - 85
John - 80
George - 75

Again say these were the top three. Now there exam marks get moderated as follows.

John came first in the assessment so he gets his mark plus the highest ranking mark from the test (Thereses') averaged

80 + 85 divided by 2 = 82.5.
This becomes his exam mark. His hsc mark is then the average of this mark and his assessment marks.

82.5 + 90 divided by 2 = ~86.25

This of course is after scaling has been applied.

The same process then happens to therese.

Her exam mark > 82.5

Therefore hsc mark > 83.75

Is this information i have about determinging the exam marks correct?

Thanks

P

pLuvia

John's moderated assessment mark will be Thereses's exam mark as he came first internally. Then his HSC mark will be the exam+moderated assessment mark i.e. 90+85=87.5
etc

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
pLuvia said:
John's moderated assessment mark will be Thereses's exam mark as he came first internally. Then his HSC mark will be the exam+moderated assessment mark i.e. 90+85=87.5
etc

I think you need to re-read the marks.

John's internal mark was 90 but as the highest exam was 85 his moderated assessment mark will be 85 and then he will keep his own exam mark of 80. This makes his final mark 83.5.

As for the other students in the group not knowing the full number of students and the range of marks we are only guessing as the to possible marks for the other students.

HSC
sorry but ragerunner, your sig is doing my head in!!

just had to say :p

um yeah i'm not sure about all this scaling stuff... .

me121

Premium Member
HSC
Just another note, one of the Reasons the Board does not provide you with your raw internal school assessment marks is because the school may standardise each individual task prior to weighting the tasks and calculating your aggregate.

The Board's policies state that,
"The final assessment mark may be determined by the simple aggregation of the assessment task marks or by statistical standardising procedures. Marks submitted must show relative differences between students' performances."

Initially, I did not understand why the marks would need to undergo statistical standardising procedures, as they undergo further statistical standardising procedures when the marks are moderated, and any statistical standardising procedures done prior to the moderation by the Board would not affect the marks (except for a small rounding error, perhaps). However upon further investigation I realised that if statistical standardising procedures are done on each assessment task prior to weighting and aggregation, then this ensures the fairness of the system. For example, if a particular task was marked harshly compared to another, then the differing weightings could adversely affect students who did good, compared to their peers in this particular assessment task. I am pretty sure that this would only become a problem when tasks have different weightings, and the smaller the weighting difference the less the affect would be.

However, it is my belief, that this is the only valid reason that prevents the Board notifying students of the school assessment mark that was submitted by the school. If it was not for this little, minute issue, the whole process could be transparent, removing the possibility of wrong doing, clerical errors or corrupt conduct. I support a transparent system, and I know that the current system is not clean with no problems. (Case study. My high school, notified me of the task weightings at the beginning of the year, and they also notified my of the marks I was awarded for each task, additionally they notified me that no statistical standardising procedures were used, yet the mark I calculated was different to what my school submitted to the Board. Now obviously this should not happen, the marks should be the same, or at least within a rounding tolerance, which they were not. I never found out the reason for this, but if happened to me, then surely the problem is more widespread than most would think.)

Last edited:

me121

Premium Member
HSC
knguy3n said:
wow this is helpful, but still a little confused in a way
Raw School Assessment marks (sent to the BOS), is that your average school exam+assignment marks put together?
The raw school assessment mark is made up of the marks from your internal school assessments. 'school assessment' refers to both/either exam and/or assignment.

Your school should have given you an assessment schedule at the beginning of the year that details what tasks will count and their weighting. The school may choose to submit your raw weighted aggregate marks, or they may use statistical standardising procedures.

knguy3n said:
and exam marls (on the external exam) is that your HSC exam at the end of the year?
Your exam mark is the aligned mark from your external hsc exam. its not your raw exam mark, as its has been aligned to the course standards.

knguy3n said:
&& HSC mark (average of Assessment and Exam) is that the UAI?
the HSC mark is the average of the aligned exam mark and your moderated internal school assessment mark. that is NOT your UAI. the uai is a rank, not a mark, and the uai is more complex.

knguy3n said:
sorry it may sound stupid but im so stressed and like WORRIED i wont be getting a good uai!, because lately for my assignments + school exams for my subjects ive only been doing average, im not sure bout ranks as of yet, but im sure its top half and above. Recently i've been getting say ranging from 50's - 70's. so im scared that my uai wont be great at all. im tryna aim for a 80. and or above EVEN BETTER but yeah keep doubting myself, but im gonna try as hard as i can, ah!
the marks you are awared at school don't mean much. they are not aligned to the course standards.

eg. you could get 50% in your school assessments and still get 90 for your hsc mark.

best to ask your teachers how they think you are going, and what HSC mark (or band) they think you would get if you kept going as you are.

Here is a flowchart of marks:

me121

Premium Member
HSC
knguy3n said:
...so the uai is determined through the moderation process, not by how your doing in school itself, and the external exam?
well yes. you uai is determined from your hsc mark (which is your (raw exam mark(but SAM and scaling data takes/uses the aligned hsc mark) + moderated school assessment) / 2), this hsc mark is then scaled, and you best 10 scaled marks are added up to get your aggergate. then your UAI rank is determined from the marks of everyones aggregate, and taking into account the SC cohort.

knguy3n said:
sorry its just a lil confusing because all those uai predictors, from people in different threads, make it seem as though how your marks so far in school determine your estimate UAI! so i was worried, cause i was averaging my marks so far, and the approximate marks i could get if i studied harder and everything, but it seemed to have not been good enough as i was doing poorly now!
Your school assessment marks cannot be put into SAM to determine your UAI. Your school assessment marks have not been aligned to course standards.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
knguy3n said:
AND OMG SC! CRAP! i only done avergae. round 70s GEEEBUS!
ahh ill just try my best!
Your individual SC marks do not affect your UAI or HSC results.

Im not exactly sure what they do, but they use the cohorts SC results so that the rank is of all SC students rather than HSC students. e.g. if your UAI is 0 it means that even the people who dropped out of year 10 and didn't do the HSC, still beat you in terms of the UAI.

But don't worry about your SC results, it doesn't affect your UAI.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
I have a question... which I kind of need for my assessment where I have to write about if a high HSC mark means superior intelligence...My question is...

Can moderation be used to a students favour in order for them to achieve a higher HSC mark? Or is the system completely fair.
I think it is pretty fair. I mean, why wouldn't it be? You basically get the marks you deserve for your external (HSC) and your internal mark is moderated according to HSC mark. So, it's pretty fair, I reckon

me121

Premium Member
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
I have a question... which I kind of need for my assessment where I have to write about if a high HSC mark means superior intelligence...
No, a high hsc mark does NOT mean superior intelligence. because there are many subjects out there, that people can just rote learn/memorize facts, dish them out in an exam and still do okay. also there are subjects like English, where someone can just pay a tutor, or someone to write a really good essay, memories it and dish it out in the exam (or hand in as an assessment) and still get good marks.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
knguy3n said:
i was just wonderin.

you know how our UAI. is a rank where we compete against all NSW schools. or something. .yeah
so then. if my marks have been quite crap. around 60s-80s min only?
does that mean the moderated marks and uai is on how well NSW GOES? or how my school does. because someone said it also depends how well your school goes. but arent we competing with NSW schools too? im so confused and your prob annoyed of me asking so many questions.
Moderated marks and uai are different things. moderated marks refer school assessment marks that have been moderated.. uai is something completely different. the UAI depends on the aggregate of scaled marks of the whole state. the moderated marks are determined by how well the students at your school go in the hsc examination.

knguy3n said:
and also. so once your marks are moderated, does that mean that your uai is calculated from the moderated marks? Say if the majority of your grade did bad. and the marks didn't vary much. what happens? do we all get a bad UAI?
as i have already posted, refer to this diagram...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Road Runner said:
Ok. I have a question.

Iam currently coming 1st out of about 78 people for standard english and the results im getting for assessments / exams range from 75% - 80%.

since im coming first, does this mean that my assessment mark will get moderated higher than 80%?

thanks.
No. Since you are coming first, what you get in HSC becomes both your internal & external marks (if you come first in external as well). So, if you get 90 in Standard English HSC and that is the top mark at your school, you get 90 as your internal and external.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
No. Since you are coming first, what you get in HSC becomes both your internal & external marks (if you come first in external as well). So, if you get 90 in Standard English HSC and that is the top mark at your school, you get 90 as your internal and external.
yeah, what you mean is,

if you come 1st in the school assessment, then your school assessment mark will be equal to the highest hsc exam mark that someone at your school obtained for that subject.

iEdd

HSC
Road Runner, I don't think you quite understand. The marks you get from your school are (to simplify things) only to determine your rank. Think about it, if you got your raw school assessment mark, then every school would have to have the same assessments, which they don't. If you come first, you get the first HSC mark as your assessment mark + your own HSC result as your "HSC examination" mark. :)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Sorry for poor explanation. Re-reading my post made me go "WTH? What did I just say?". I didn't mean to say what I said earlier. I was going to say that you are going to get the top HSC mark as your internal once you are ranked top in your year. As for your external, what you get in HSC is your external.

conics2008

HSC
Hello guys, I was just wonderin if you get top 3 in all your subjects eg...

1st 1st, 2nd 2nd 1st or 1st 1st 1st 2nd 2nd or 1st 1st 1st 1st 2nd etc etc but you go to a low rank school that is 640 in the state xD

am I disadvantaged or what ???

btw i do 4 subjects its in my sign.....

like they say ranks matter not mark, what marks should i be aimin for if i want to get a UAI of 85+..

Thanks =)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
conics2008 said:
Hello guys, I was just wonderin if you get top 3 in all your subjects eg...

1st 1st, 2nd 2nd 1st or 1st 1st 1st 2nd 2nd or 1st 1st 1st 1st 2nd etc etc but you go to a low rank school that is 640 in the state xD

am I disadvantaged or what ???

btw i do 4 subjects its in my sign.....

like they say ranks matter not mark, what marks should i be aimin for if i want to get a UAI of 85+..

Thanks =)
If you are coming first, you will have no influence from your school mates whatsoever. If you come first in your subjects, all that matters is your HSC result. Considering your subject, I think you can get 85 UAI with Band 4s & Band 5s. (It is highly possible for you to get 85 UAI purely with Band 4s or Band E3s).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)