Explanation of HSC Marks (Moderating) (1 Viewer)

conics2008

HSC
so as long as im coming 1st my school wont do anything.. how about if i come 2nd or 3rd ????

will i be affected ?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
conics2008 said:
so as long as im coming 1st my school wont do anything.. how about if i come 2nd or 3rd ????

will i be affected ?
If you come 2nd or 3rd, you will potentially be affected by those who are in front of you (and probably behind you). Their external marks may become your internal mark.

Last edited:

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
lyounamu said:
If you are coming first, you will have no influence from your school mates whatsoever. If you come first in your subjects, all that matters is your HSC result. Considering your subject, I think you can get 85 UAI with Band 4s & Band 5s. (It is highly possible for you to get 85 UAI purely with Band 4s or Band E3s).
I wouldn't say "you will have no influence from your school." Whatever the top mark is in your school for that subject becomes your assessment mark, and you keep your exam mark. The guy who topped english in my grade internally got like 92 or something for his assessment and only 84 on the final exam, but he got 92 for assessment because the guy who ranked 2nd did really well in the HSC exam.

Of course, if you come first, you're quite likely to get your own exam mark as your assessment mark, depending on the quality of the other students in your classes.

conics2008

HSC
lyounamu said:
If you come 2nd or 3rd, you will potentially be affected by those who are in front of you. Their external marks may become your internal mark.

wtf is that spose to mean, there is no such thing as marks swapping anymore ??

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
conics2008 said:
wtf is that spose to mean, there is no such thing as marks swapping anymore ??
Ok, let's say you came 2nd at school. Then you did well in HSC and came first in your year with 90. You keep your external mark of 90 however, your internal mark won't be 90. Your internal mark will be adjusted to the 2nd top mark from your cohort.

conics2008

HSC
im more confused.. who cares, im just aimin for 85+ because it doesn't require a high uai my course..

im just plannin to do some where in fields of maths and business. i'm plannin on gettin a scholarship... what good coursers are there.. and yeah 100% going to take up pure maths and applied maths as a side course.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
conics2008 said:
im more confused.. who cares, im just aimin for 85+ because it doesn't require a high uai my course..

im just plannin to do some where in fields of maths and business. i'm plannin on gettin a scholarship... what good coursers are there.. and yeah 100% going to take up pure maths and applied maths as a side course.
I am sorry for poor explanation. But one thing that you need to keep in mind is that school will barely affect you if you get high rank and high marks in HSC.

conics2008

HSC
lyounamu said:
I am sorry for poor explanation. But one thing that you need to keep in mind is that school will barely affect you if you get high rank and high marks in HSC.
fair enougg.. i will just aim high and do the best i can do....

naa your good at explanin its just me, i dont understand quiet quickly, and your a fast poster, i praise you for that.. youve been really helpful =)

what are you plannin to do after the hsc in 2009

me121

Premium Member
HSC
lyounamu said:
Ok, let's say you came 2nd at school. Then you did well in HSC and came first in your year with 90. You keep your external mark of 90 however, your internal mark won't be 90. Your internal mark will be adjusted to the 2nd top mark from your cohort.
that is not enirelly correct. its not a matter of hading out the marks, because if it was then it would only be the raw rank you get in school that matter, but infact it is your rank and the relative differences between ranks.

the simplest way to explain it is, the school assessment marks are moderated in such a way that the average hsc exam mark equals the average school assessment mark, and the max hsc exam mark equals the max school assessment mark.

doing this process does not result in exact mark swapping as you described.

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Me121 is correcto. Relative differences are EXTREMELEY significant. My friend's marks were adjusted (upwards) from 45 to 48 in HSC assessment, due to this factor. (45 would have been given in the case of a simple mark swap due to ranking).

So if you're not first, try to be as close as possible to it! :)

cHoWiiE!

HSC
live.fast said:
Me121 is correcto. Relative differences are EXTREMELEY significant. My friend's marks were adjusted (upwards) from 45 to 48 in HSC assessment, due to this factor. (45 would have been given in the case of a simple mark swap due to ranking).

So if you're not first, try to be as close as possible to it! :)

DUDE...how did you get 100/100 and still be equal 3rd in the state..:S

ur bloody amazing lol

AND AHHh right about now i've given up on the hsc...

im gettn 80 for adv eng, pe and sor1unit

70s in a couple of other subjects

60s in ext eng and gen maths..

my uai is looking at 50 the rate im goin!!! a far cry from the 80+ i wanted AHHHH

HSC
im really unsure about whether this has been covered previously.

ill give you a situation of mine.

my business studies class has done 50% worth of assessments so far, with trials in 2 weeks. in the second i bombed out and got about 65%, with the top mark as 90%, the second being 70%:eek: , the third around 68% and then me. This is out of a class of 12.

Now assume I maintain a ranking of about fourth in the class and get about a 75% internal mark. I come out all guns blazing in the external exams and pull a raw mark of 90%, a mark beating all my classmates. what happens now? can i move up within my class rankings? or will the people above me in class rankings get my mark and im forced to sit beneath them?

second situation: im topping legal studies out of 10-15. if i get 80 in my exam while the person coming second gets 90, what happens to me? do i get bumped up to that 90 mark? or will i get put somewhere between.

thanks for any help- im really struggling to get my head around everything HSC!

iEdd

HSC
cardinalsfan70 said:
Now assume I maintain a ranking of about fourth in the class and get about a 75% internal mark. I come out all guns blazing in the external exams and pull a raw mark of 90%, a mark beating all my classmates. what happens now? can i move up within my class rankings? or will the people above me in class rankings get my mark and im forced to sit beneath them?
Your class rankings are exactly that, they are determined ONLY by your internal assessment mark. If you are coming 4th you get:

HSC Mark: 90 ("guns blazing")
Assessment mark = HSC Mark of whomever came 4th in the exam.

cardinalsfan70 said:
second situation: im topping legal studies out of 10-15. if i get 80 in my exam while the person coming second gets 90, what happens to me? do i get bumped up to that 90 mark? or will i get put somewhere between.
HSC Mark: 80
Assessment Mark: 90 (as this was the HSC exam mark of the person that came first)

Total HSC = (Assessment mark + Exam mark) ÷ 2 = 85 (simply put)

HSC
iEdd said:
Your class rankings are exactly that, they are determined ONLY by your internal assessment mark. If you are coming 4th you get:

HSC Mark: 90 ("guns blazing")
Assessment mark = HSC Mark of whomever came 4th in the exam.

HSC Mark: 80
Assessment Mark: 90 (as this was the HSC exam mark of the person that came first)

Total HSC = (Assessment mark + Exam mark) ÷ 2 = 85 (simply put)
okay thanks =D

so if i come like 20th/ 60 in adv eng, am i pretty much rooted? because even if i get a high external mark, my internal will be whatever the new 20th gets in the externals?

HSC
can i get something straight?

just looking through this thread iv seen a few contradicting opinions so can someone answer this for me?

If i come first in a subject at school, do i then have my own external mark no matter what? or if i do badly will it be made up if anybody does better?

iEdd

HSC
If you come 20th, you are correct, you will get the 20th person's (more or less) HSC exam mark as your HSC assessment mark. You are not necessarily rooted - you seem to be assuming that the 20th person is doing badly (which at the moment, remember, is YOU). If you get a high external mark, you get that as your HSC Exam mark. (Exam mark + assessment mark) / 2 = Total HSC Mark.

If you come first in BOTH your assessments and the final exam, than your mark will be exactly your final exam mark.
Remember if you are ranked first, you will get the highest HSC Exam mark as your HSC assessment mark. No matter what you get in the final HSC exam, you get the 1st place mark as your assessment mark. And your HSC Exam mark is always your own.

I'm going around in circles explaining this, but hopefully you get it now. Read page one of this thread for the best explanation.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
cardinalsfan70 said:
okay thanks =D

so if i come like 20th/ 60 in adv eng, am i pretty much rooted? because even if i get a high external mark, my internal will be whatever the new 20th gets in the externals?
no. in general you will not get the 20th external mark as your internal. see http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=3465156&postcount=260

iEdd said:
If you come 20th, you are correct, you will get the 20th person's (more or less) HSC exam mark as your HSC assessment mark.
the more or less part is more correct that saying you will. because as noted above it will not in general be exactly the same.. however it will be fairly similar and by how much depends on the marks.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
The only external mark that will definitely be given to someone at your school is the one of the person who came first (assuming that the school didn't send in = 1s as then they average the top two marks for their moderated assessment mark).

After 1st place they have a formula to award the marks keeping the total marks earned by the class and the average marks the same. Often the last person's moderated assessment mark will be the last person's exam mark as well but not always.

danz90

HSC
Moderating kind of sucks for me - since im coming 1st in most of my classes and in some by a large margin, my assessment marks do nothing for me, my HSC mark is determined solely by my exam mark. :( Big pressure on me for HSC exams..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)