Ext 2 Maths??? (1 Viewer)

stargaze

HSC
my teacher said to do really well in it 3,4 hrs on it alone per day... so that seemed pretty unreasonable..

im not a big believer in tutoring/coaching classes etc.. Unless u are really having that much trouble.. I personally get things better once I can figure it out myself or just ask someone to explain it slowly..

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
^^^ yeah, if your good at maths you can do well without a tutor, tutors are really a preference.

normally people go to tutors for an hour or 2 a week

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by stargaze
my teacher said to do really well in it 3,4 hrs on it alone per day... so that seemed pretty unreasonable..

im not a big believer in tutoring/coaching classes etc.. Unless u are really having that much trouble.. I personally get things better once I can figure it out myself or just ask someone to explain it slowly..
dude 3 to 4 hours per day lol, if u did that 4 every subject. *shudders*

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by JamiL
is it possible 2 do well in Ext 2 mathermatics if u do not have a tutor or would it be high reommended that a tutor is hired...
and how time consuming is it????
1) yes
2) depends on how much you are capable of and how well you want to go.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
My teacher says 1 1/2 hours a night for a capable student

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
Most people I know that do 4u have a tutor, but it really depends on the individual. If you're understanding everything, then there isn't really a need for one.

Rahul

Dead Member
tutors also help by the motivation they can give you, often forced [ie- do these dot-points for me for next week or else] helps, imo.
for some, it is often the fact that they lack motivation.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
the majority of people i know who do ext 2 maths get tutored for it. theres some that dont get tutored because theyre the naturally smart people. As rahul said, tutors can motivate you. in the time youre spending at tutor, what wouldve you dont instead at home? It walso depends on what tutor you have too. if you get a shitty one, well obviuosly in that case tutoring isnt worth it. when you do get tutored, make sure you know that they know what theyre doing.
ext 2 maths is time consuming. it depends on your capability of understading and learning. i mean, some people may study for 3 hours of maths and get nowhere and other just half an hour and run along in the top group. if your teacher recomends that you do ext 2 maths at the end of year 11, then you obviuosly have capability and should find ext 2 maths like any other 2 unit subject. when it came around to pricking ext2 or not, i got reccomended, but there were a few people who didnt and just attended class. teacher obviuosly couldnt say anything and those that ended up staying who didnt get reccomended didnt do really well. so i would listen to your school teacher because they know your abilities best :)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
If you do E2, you have to think about it carefully. It will increase the impact of E1 on your UAI by 100%... now that can be a good thing or a bad thing.
It will also mean your 2U maths mark doesn't count... and again that can be good or bad.

AGB

HSC
im doing 4u at the moment, and i would definitely recommend getting a tutor... there is so much material to cover in the 4u course, but more importantly there are heaps of little tips and tricks, and if you manage to get a good tutor (as i have just gotten) you can pick up all of those tricks that your class teacher may not know...

im sure there are plenty of people who will disagree with getting a tutor, but i think it would be the best move... i go to a good private school and all of the maths teachers are pretty top teachers, but still all of the top boys (like most of the top 20 or so) still get tutored...

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by wrx
what if u only have the ext1 and ext2 course fo yr12 maths, is there still heaps to learn?
if you are doing ext 2 maths, the only courses you do are the ext 1 and ext 2 courses i.e. come hsc time you will only sit the 3u and 4u papers....

but in answer to your question... yes there is a fair bit of work to do for the ext 1 and 2 courses

edit: but then again, if you enjoy maths the workload wont seem too bad :)

Last edited:

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Hardly any of the people in ex 2 at my school have tutors. I am of the opinion that if you need tutoring for a subject you shouldnt be doing it (unless you really struggle with gen maths/std. english or something basic)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)