Ext 2 Maths??? (1 Viewer)

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by Calculon
I am of the opinion that if you need tutoring for a subject you shouldnt be doing it
what crap! the guy who is top of my year for ext 1 and 2 maths (and has got 100% for EVERY assessment so far), plus he does maths olympiads, plus he gets invited to maths conferences all over australia, plus he received some medal recently for placing in the top 40 mathematicians in australia for some competition from the australian maths society, has a tutor which he sees for 2 hours a week...

also, a guy at my school three years ago who got in top 10 in the state for ext 2 maths was tutored three times a week...

there is absolutely no way in hell you could say these people shouldnt be doing (or shouldn't have done) 4u maths... they would woop your arse anyday calculon, and they have tutors :)

Last edited:

is a roflcopter
HSC
i think our maths dux didnt have a tutor (he came 2nd in the state after keypad LOL OWNED :D )

but he went to all these workshops and shit

having a tutor helps
4unit was about 1/2 an hr a night for me plus 2 hours of tutoring a week
thats if you want a mediocre mark like me though :O

Last edited:

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
Originally posted by stargaze

im not a big believer in tutoring/coaching classes etc.. Unless u are really having that much trouble.. I personally get things better once I can figure it out myself..
same here...:)

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Originally posted by stargaze

im not a big believer in tutoring/coaching classes etc.. Unless u are really having that much trouble.. I personally get things better once I can figure it out myself or just ask someone to explain it slowly..
roolly depends....if ur studying solely for the sake of marks....u dont need tutoring as u can plagerise, memorise, and regurgitate in most subjects in HSC.....if u want to understand concepts throughly then i wud say do get tutoring......make use of hsc in futute!! it certainly taught me alot ;)

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
What I am saying is that if you are having trouble with something specific, by all means get tutoring, but not long term. In response to AGB's statement, I said if you NEED tutoring for a subject you shouldn't do it. This guy you are talking about obviously didn't need tutoring. I feel that maybe this form tutoring has a placebo effect, ie it more provides motivation and encouragement rather than any real help, and that people who need tutoring in this way are perhaps bored with the 4u maths course as they feel that it is too easy. Imo these people do not need tutoring, they need to learn self motivation something which gets more and more important in later education. Tutoring only provides a temporary solution to a bigger problem. I will also point in keypad's general direction as he was obviously highly motivated, and this is reflected in his result. This is all my opinion, feel free to disagree with me if you like.:)

Last edited:

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by wrx
no but i mean if u do ext 1 and 2 u still have to do the 2unit book, but if u have done ur 2u hsc in yr11 is it still a large workload?
most 3 unit books cover the 2 unit stuff in them anyway. The only book i know that doesnt do that is the Fitzpatrick book. there shouldnt be a large workload, though 3 unit revisits 2 unit concepts anyway and builds on further. you really shouldnt lose touch of 2 unit stuff, though if youre doing extension 2 maths, then it is assumed that you know your 2 unit stuff well. 2 unit in year 11 is nothing compared to ext 1 and 2 in year 11 ;)

Heinz

The Musical Fruit
HSC
Originally posted by JamiL
is it possible 2 do well in Ext 2 mathermatics if u do not have a tutor or would it be high reommended that a tutor is hired...
and how time consuming is it????
Alot of people I know do not have tutors and still do considerably well. From memory, the dux of my school a couple of years ago didnt have a tutor (or so his sister tells me). I myself have never had or will ever want a tutor and am currently 3rd (out of about 50) and 2nd (out of 7) in ext 1 and 2 maths respectively. This is just a personal peference. I like the idea of not having any help and still being able to do well. That way people wont go "he only did well because he gets tutored 24/7"

I think the main reason why people say tutoring is useless is because the large majority of people who do get tutored dont really do well. I know alot of people who get tutored in almost every subject they do and still end up with mediocre marks. It kinda makes you wonder what the point is. rather spend the money on other stuff. If however you have a natural gift to do well, then tutoring will surely complement it. In the end though it comes down to how hard the individual is willing to work.

AGB

HSC
Originally posted by Calculon
What I am saying is that if you are having trouble with something specific, by all means get tutoring, but not long term. In response to AGB's statement, I said if you NEED tutoring for a subject you shouldn't do it. This guy you are talking about obviously didn't need tutoring. I feel that maybe this form tutoring has a placebo effect, ie it more provides motivation and encouragement rather than any real help, and that people who need tutoring in this way are perhaps bored with the 4u maths course as they feel that it is too easy. Imo these people do not need tutoring, they need to learn self motivation something which gets more and more important in later education. Tutoring only provides a temporary solution to a bigger problem. I will also point in keypad's general direction as he was obviously highly motivated, and this is reflected in his result. This is all my opinion, feel free to disagree with me if you like.:)
sorry... i misunderstood you :)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by JamiL
yer but isnt 2u yr 12 similar 2 ext 1... it seem heeps similar 2 me...
yes, but there are "extra" topics in ext 1 that 2 unit does not cover. in simplified terms, you do year 11 3 unit which give you a ground for further year 12 stuff. this year 11 3 unit stuff is mainly 2 unit stuff anyway.

what i was saying was that HSC 2 unit load of work was nothing compared to ext 1 and ext 2 load ;)

Calculon

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by wrx
he is saying that cos he did 4u in yr11
OMFG how could you think Kimmeh was a he???

Calculon

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by wrx
Sorry :) hmm prob cos u had a pic of a guy in ur avatar b4

btw ur repeating 4u rite??? What did u get for it last yr?
SHE hasn't told me HER exact mark, but I know that SHE stuffed it baaaaaad. Ok I'll stop now...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)