• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Extension courses for year 12? And what are you dropping? (1 Viewer)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
hahaha yes, esp in a thread full of pretentious brainiacs discussing extension courses :p

Im kidding..sorta..nah I've been through 4 ext courses (dropped 2), so dont get so worked up about the "pretentious" issue ok? :p

tamz

Perhaps pick up ext 2 english, if I can cope. Maybe ext for ancient as well. Drop physics & maybe ext maths - can't stand calculations! :vcross: We haven't even receieved any info on this yet! Don't know what to do..

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
tamz said:
Perhaps pick up ext 2 english, if I can cope. Maybe ext for ancient as well. Drop physics & maybe ext maths - can't stand calculations! :vcross: We haven't even receieved any info on this yet! Don't know what to do..
u hate calculations and yu are doin ext 1 maths... pffff drop all subject that have nething 2 do with maths... that mean no maths, physics, chem, Bio(would u believe), eco etc... lol are you sure u typed the right word???

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
To clear up a big misconception: ECONOMICS BARELY HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH MATHS!

The most I've ever done in almost two years of Economics is basic Yr 7 algebra or simple equation solving. As in, bring this to the other side by minusing it :p

I originally didnt want to do eco cos, "wah wah, I cant do maths! I suck at maths! it's all finanical stuff!"

Yes, there is a topic on financial markets but it's not what you think it is. Analysis and synthesising essay skills are MUCH more important in eco.

Last edited:

JamiL

HSC
Sarah168 said:
To clear up a big misconception: ECONOMICS BARELY HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH MATHS!

The most I've ever done in almost two years of Economics is basic Yr 7 algebra or simple equation solving. As in, bring this to the other side by minusing it :p

I originally didnt want to do eco cos, "wah wah, I cant do maths! I suck at maths! it's all finanical stuff!"

Yes, there is a topic on financial markets but it's not what you think it is. Analysis and synthesising essay skills are MUCH more important in eco.
Eco does have maths in it.. there is a little in high school, prob same as phy or chem... but latter on in uni there is an huge amount of maths in it... it is simple maths, stuff that i can do but your are introduced 2 new formulas...

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Im too lazy to quote but, yes, I should have specified HIGH SCHOOL economics, not economics in general. My bad :p

BTW, the formulas are nothing. Gin co efficent? MPS? MPC? Economics Growth? Those arent exactly tough work :p

tamz

JamiL said:
u hate calculations and yu are doin ext 1 maths... pffff drop all subject that have nething 2 do with maths... that mean no maths, physics, chem, Bio(would u believe), eco etc... lol are you sure u typed the right word???
So I may not hate all calculations, just some for specific subjects. :)

JamiL

HSC
tamz said:
So I may not hate all calculations, just some for specific subjects. :)
1+1=2 in maths, physics, chem, bio, eco, english, arabic, french????
mathematics is a universal language, how does it differ in different subjects. i will agree the difficulty and amount of calculations done are different in different courses... but they are all the same lol

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
He means the type of calculation. Like Stochiometry in chem, vectors in motion in physics, and surds in amthematics. They're all rpety different concepts, but still mathematics and calculation.

blondynka

I'm probably gonna keep 3u maths - there's no way im dropping that, but im definately dropping 3u english. im good at it but its so... pointless. Picking up 4u maths wouldnt be too bad because i absolutely adore maths, but im performing quite average in 3u atm so i dont know if i'd be able to do that, even with the motivation i have to do maths. :( if i also drop polish and economics i'll have 11 units - but is that too risky? or say if i screw up chem, will only half of that unit be counted? im not too sure how it works for 11 units...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
If you have the motivation, then I suggest you go for it. With that kind of motivation, it's not a matter of doing well in year 11, it's a matter of reading ahead, devoting a lot of ime to mathematics, and finally consistently going over it.

afta???

HSC
Slide Rule said:
If you have the motivation, then I suggest you go for it. With that kind of motivation, it's not a matter of doing well in year 11, it's a matter of reading ahead, devoting a lot of ime to mathematics, and finally consistently going over it.
true...
n if u really don't like it later on ... then drop it...no one's gonna stop u
u have until two weeks b4 the hsc to drop ny subjects

so i would say ... give it a try

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
I think i'll say it here because this thread seems pretty active. Have any bOS memebers here applied for the extension art course? If you have tell if you get in :)!
cheers!!!!

JamiL

HSC
Slide Rule said:
mate sorry im goin 2 have to disagree with you here. if you are doin 3u maths and trying hard, but still only do avg, dont even think about 4u. if u are not putting in and are doin avg then i say try harder and then make up ur mind. but dont listen no me slide rule or any1 else, u will know if yu are capable of doin 4u... my heart has always told me to do it. it has been somthing i have wanted 2 do since i was in Yr7. i then listen to people and started douting my ability, it wasnt till this year, that i started putting the effort 4 maths and i have seen the results.

JamiL

HSC
afta??? said:
true...
n if u really don't like it later on ... then drop it...no one's gonna stop u
u have until two weeks b4 the hsc to drop ny subjects

so i would say ... give it a try
i no some1 that dopped 4u maths 2 dayz b4 the exam?? wots the go there?
oh and is there any type of ext music subjects and are they uai subjects

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Ext Music is a UAI subject.
Wish I could do it... our school doesn't even offer music 1 or 2... . :(

4u is definitely not a smart choice unless you really like mathematics... I'm thinking it's a decision that wouldn't be heavily UAI positive for me. Something to do because you enjoy the subject...

blondynka

JamiL said:
mate sorry im goin 2 have to disagree with you here. if you are doin 3u maths and trying hard, but still only do avg, dont even think about 4u. if u are not putting in and are doin avg then i say try harder and then make up ur mind. but dont listen no me slide rule or any1 else, u will know if yu are capable of doin 4u... my heart has always told me to do it. it has been somthing i have wanted 2 do since i was in Yr7. i then listen to people and started douting my ability, it wasnt till this year, that i started putting the effort 4 maths and i have seen the results.
hmm i kinda agree with u, i mean ive been telling ppl that im gonna do 4u maths for years now, but then after ending up with so many units i completely stopped considering it. i do like maths heaps, and maybe everyone else in my class does have a tutor, but i admit im not performing to the highest of my ability. guess having 16 units does that to you. thats the only thing that discourages me from doing 4u maths, i mean, im still trying to figure out what to drop... :|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)