• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Extension courses for year 12? And what are you dropping? (1 Viewer)

afta???

HSC
JamiL said:
oh and is there any type of ext music subjects and are they uai subjects
my friend is really wanting to do it...
music freak
she says itz all about composing n gettin ppl to help record ur piece
is that true??

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
JamiL said:
it has been somthing i have wanted 2 do since i was in Yr7. i then listen to people and started douting my ability, it wasnt till this year, that i started putting the effort 4 maths and i have seen the results.
Exactly - so why add more doubting?

He can do it if he tries hard enough, so don't make him think otherwise.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Extension Music scales quite well. Higher than Chem, physics and economics.

afta???

HSC
*girl04* said:
music!?!?!? higher than chem and eco
yep...actually eco doesn't scale too high at all (at least in my opinion). i guess music has really good candidates that's why it scales so high

the thing i cant believe is that chemistry scales higher than physics...i always thought physics was harder...

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Well, economics actually scales higher than physics, too. :p

At least, according to the scaling sheets for the 01,02,03. Whether or not each course is harder than the other I don't know. I'd be inclined to say physics is harder than chem. Still, their scaligns are all very close together, so choosing one over the other based on theri scalign would be silly. =P

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
bAhuMMMMMMY psssssssssssssssssssssssst Physics harder then Chemistry!

alessandra

HSC
year 11 im doing ..... ext1 english, 2unit adv maths, italian, french, legal, bio and 1unit re

year 12 im doing..... ext 1 english, 2unit maths, ext italian, french, legal and 1 unit re... but re doesnt get added to our UAI so its like a "whatever" class! lol

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
yer alot of those subjects like lang and stuff like that scale realy well, cos no1 does them and yu have to be realy in2 the shit 2 do it. chem scale better then phy yer but wot do they scale compared 2 Ext 1 n Ext 2 maths.
And Phys Chem and Eco scale prob the best out of all the acedemic subject (2u not ext subjects).

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
4U Maths: 18.9
3U Maths: 14.8
4U Eng: 12.9
3U Eng: 12.4
Chemistry: 6.5
Economics: 6.0
Physics: 5.3

Trev

stix
HSC
wtf

Slide Rule said:
what the? can you explain what those scalings mean...
n i wanna pick up ext2 math (got ext 1 math, adv eng, chem, ipt, bus, re1 - fuk re, it stuffs everythin up) n i wanna kno the difficulty of ext2 math compared to prelim ext1, and if i should drop chem so i hav 11 units (coz my chem teacher is a total fuk of a teacher, he forgot to teach us 1 of the 4 topics in the textbook so we would hav had 2 do 2 topics in 1 term, so hes makin 1 topic an assessment assignment :| ). how many units do the people here that do 4 unit courses do?

Kulazzi

HSC
i was happy with my subjects.........but the more i think abt it, i thought, i can't handle 3 major works for my hsc. So, i was gonna drop SDD, but then i thought, i could have that as a back-up subject in case i go crap in one of my hsc exams, especially mathematics.
So then i weighed out the thought that i could go down to general maths and definitely get over 80/90% (instead of averaging 60-something% in mathematics) AND drop SDD, which will make me happy cos it will cut down the amt of work in my HSC year. And thats what I'm gonna do (I love my dad, he understands me very well :) )
If i kept SDD, then i would have THREE major works which I know that I cannot handle! :(
so yeah, for my HSC YR-----> general maths, adv. eng, business studies, textiles and design and society and culture :D

astro

HSC
yeah..i'm thinking about dropping to general maths becasue it's my absolute worst subject, however will it affect my chances for a good uai and opportunity to study eco and nsw or sydney

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
Slide Rule said:
I don't think these specific numbers are really that relevant here because they're subject to change from year to year. A little too confusing maybe ;), would probably be easier to put a link in for the scaling chart.

Kulazzi

HSC
astro said:
yeah..i'm thinking about dropping to general maths becasue it's my absolute worst subject, however will it affect my chances for a good uai and opportunity to study eco and nsw or sydney
well, i always thought its better to get at least over 85% in general maths than getting 60% in mathematics, AND in doing that, i am confident i will get over 90 in my UAI cos of how well i'm going in my other subjects. maths dragging me down

BUT if u wanna drop it then go ahead, join me :D

blondynka

noooooooooo i hate my school! they're not letting me drop economics and have only 9u at school! (4 outside of school). :( ive talked to a coupla ppl from other schools and they have like 8u at school only! this is year11 i mean.
last term i talked to the careers advisor and deputy, they both said i could have 9u at school, but now this new deputy says that my school supposedly requires 10u at school :( argh! im so pissed off! :( i want 11u - but 12 is a better safety net. i REALLY wanna take up 4u maths.. but ive been 2 scared 2 hand in the note- the deputy convinced me eventually. she's also telling me to rethink my decision again. ive thought about this so much, im going crazy!! polish and economics seem 2 me 2 be the most useless subjects i have - anyone know wat i should do?

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
oh god no, I KNEW I should have done economics instead of legal, legal doesn't scale at all, and it doesn't prepare you much for uni law *buries face in hands* why, why didn't I do economics?
Definitely picking up english 4 u. As for maths 4, will have to see how I go in the 3 u this year...if I bomb out I'm doing ext hist. They both scale pretty well, but maths more so than hist, am I right?

afta???

HSC
o god....4 unit english......cant even stand any english myself ...as for maths ...i'm in love
legal isnt too bad ... i got a friend in uni who does law at uts n found it easier coz she did legal.....
u should check the scaling/ capping page linked at the homepage of BOS ... they would tell u the scaling but im sure maths is one of the top scaled topics

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)