Extension English worth it? (1 Viewer)

dan2452

HSC
Its almost the start of the prelim, and I've handed in my subject selections (I chose advanced english), but I was wondering if I should try to see the teachers and take extension english as well.

I got a band 6 (just.) in the school certificate for english, and I like english and I read a lot of books.

Did any other people have trouble in extension? Is it hard, and does it scale well against the other subjects? Worth it?

Thanks ;)

smelnizzle

HSC
Uni Grad
totz worth it :)
it wasnt until year 12 though that i finally got the concept of eng ext.. use year 11 to try diff essay styles. even if you go shit, year 11 is nothing, and take in all the criticism from your teacher!

you know that it's high scaling already :p
an essay and a creative..
just apply yourself (Y)

CecilyMare

HSC
Yes it's worth it! Writing essays is so much more fun than writing chemistry equations or writing math gobbledigook!

itszen

HSC
Yups im also interested in extension English also. But right now im planning to drop it,because i heard its tremendous work load. Buts does anyone (that does ext. English ) can give an insight of how much work is expected in Extension English?

dan2452

HSC
What sort of work do you do in ext. english?

Do you have to go more in depth with your replys/essays, do different kinds of work, or is it just more workload of the same kind of stuff from adv. english?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
It's a different syllabus to the advanced course. You only have 1 major topic area, and you study this for the year. You do need a greater command of language than advanced. However, it's basically the same sort of thing. Essays, creative writing, discussions etc. With your marks, you should be fine.

xMaFF

HSC
totz worth it :)
it wasnt until year 12 though that i finally got the concept of eng ext.. use year 11 to try diff essay styles. even if you go shit, year 11 is nothing, and take in all the criticism from your teacher!

you know that it's high scaling already :p
an essay and a creative..
just apply yourself (Y)
+1, thanks for the advice :)

It's good to hear this kind of encouragement / tips.

I didn't know English Extension scaled well, so that was a bit of a bonus for me ^_^

@ OP: I'm doing English Extension too, let's do our best :)

Yes it's worth it! Writing essays is so much more fun than writing chemistry equations or writing math gobbledigook!
Gobbledi-- huh? :D

I've heard from a lot of users that there's a decent amount of work in English Extension and plenty of independent study; you have to find your own style of writing, one which is most efficient and effective for you.

If you manage your time well and do plenty of practice essays you'll do fine.

alex09hsc

HSC
it was all shit but it did me good in the end.;)q

firstneg

HSC
I am only doing extension one because I want to do extension two and I was pressured into doing ext. by my mother.
I hope that we do crime and not science fiction

firstneg

HSC
for the genre module for the hsc year, I have no qualms for prelim.

klaris

HSC
I am doing it. I had my misgivings at my ability but then I scored a 94 in the SC so now I am thankful I chose it.

I love English.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
Definitely worth it =D

In my experience, it's basically the same thing as Adv. Just that you would study a different concept. But the essay format is quite similar, as is creative.
I personally didn't find the workload (in year 11 at least) very daunting at all. Actually, I didn't do any work in it except practice essays (and not very many of them at all), and I still managed to get full marks/very close to it. Which just goes to show: EE1 is easy to bs :D

For our first assessment this year, we had to do a little bit of outside research, but my teacher practically did it all for us xD.

What I love about EE1 is that you're allowed to be different. With Adv, there seems to be sort of a formula you have to follow in terms of essay-writing, but in EE1, you're encouraged to come up with your own concepts and make them different and it's more enjoyable :)

And of course, awesome scaling =D

PH011

HSC
I'm doing it :D wayy better than advanced... which is mostly remembering bs
English and maths extension 2 anyone? :)

ruchira2122

HSC
Its almost the start of the prelim, and I've handed in my subject selections (I chose advanced english), but I was wondering if I should try to see the teachers and take extension english as well.

I got a band 6 (just.) in the school certificate for english, and I like english and I read a lot of books.

Did any other people have trouble in extension? Is it hard, and does it scale well against the other subjects? Worth it?

Thanks ;)
extension english is certainly worth doing :)
the creative part can acctually be alot of fun.

also in the hsc they take your 2 best units of english... so if you do somehow mess up advanced.. you have a small safety net

future-doctor

HSC
Generally, if you love English you would love extension. I find it to be more expressive, which i like, unlike advance where it seems that it is very direct. Also, the topics for extension are quite interesting. Although, imo it is far more easier than advance, be prepared for the workload, especially if you are doing 13+ units, it is often difficult to juggle which i had quickly learnt. :bomb:

Ostentatious

jfK1c45g2f4Of56Eyd4f57cxZ
HSC
Prelim Extension English is the best, its like the biggest release that you could get from typical work such as that offered in Advanced. I dropped in my HSC year though because it took an ugly turn for me, but it really boosted my English grade.

NewiJapper

HSC
I personally LOVED ext eng and I still do :) You actually learn about literature and don't just study a text so much that you hate it. You actually understand why they wrote the book for a purpose and you can engage better with the book. It's ACTUAL study of the english literature and language. Plus the HSC test is just one essay and a creative ;) which is awesome instead of 4 essays a creative and comprehension.

GO FOR IT!

gleninnes

HSC
Do it. I consider myself not to be a fantastic or even above average English student and extension english really helped my Adv English mark and counted towards my ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)