Extension One Revising Game (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Timothy.Siu said:
i've asked a few people and the answers i get range from 100k-500k....but now even less lol
What's the point of asking if you don't have the answer?

cyl123

HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
do mine please

All the letters of the word ENCUMBRANCE are arranged in a line. Find the total number of arrangements, which contain all the vowels in alphabetical order but separated by at least one consonant.
This is the technique used for questions involve placing 2 different sets of objects such that one set of objects must be separate from each other (such as placing 5 girls and 3 boys with all boys separate)

So first of all place all the consanents (N C M B R N C) in a line. There are in total 7!/4 arrangements.

Now consider the spaces in between each consanent as a possible position to place a vowel, since in this way the vowels will be separated. There are 8 spaces in total (counting space outside each end. The vowels are A E U E.

So now only consider number of arrangement where vowels are separate not necessarily in alphabetical order. There are 4 letters to place so there are 8 spaces to place first letter, 7 spaces to place second letter and so on. There are 8P4/2 ways to do this (counting repetition)

Now note that there are 12 possible ways to arrange the letters A U E E in a straight line but only one arrangement is in alphabetical order. So when the letters are placed in the spaces, when ignoring the consonants, only 1 in 12 arrangements are in alphabetical order. Thus out of the 8P4/2 arrangements, only 1 in 12 are in alphabetical order.

Thus total number of arrangement = 7!/4*8P4/2*1/12 = 88200 arrangements.

i think this is right...

lolokay

HSC
cyl123 said:
Now consider the spaces in between each consanent as a possible position to place a vowel, since in this way the vowels will be separated. There are 8 spaces in total (counting space outside each end. The vowels are A E U E.

So now only consider number of arrangement where vowels are separate not necessarily in alphabetical order. There are 4 letters to place so there are 8 spaces to place first letter, 7 spaces to place second letter and so on. There are 8P4/2 ways to do this (counting repetition)

Now note that there are 12 possible ways to arrange the letters A U E E in a straight line but only one arrangement is in alphabetical order. So when the letters are placed in the spaces, when ignoring the consonants, only 1 in 12 arrangements are in alphabetical order. Thus out of the 8P4/2 arrangements, only 1 in 12 are in alphabetical order.

Thus total number of arrangement = 7!/4*8P4/2*1/12 = 88200 arrangements.

i think this is right...
to order the vowels, rather than treating them as different letters I would just straight away consider them as identitcal (since they can't be ordered), so to order them it is 8C4 rather than 8P4/2 (ie. it is the number of ways of choosing 4 of the 8 spots to have a vowel in them). this simplifies it a bit (still the same answer)

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Question: ( to keep things going, its 4U tho)

a)If z1=1+i,z2=rt3-i, find the moduli and principal arguments of z1,z2 and z1/z2
b) If z=(1+i)/(rt3-i), find the smallest postive integer n such that z^n is real and evaluate z^n for this integer n.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Here's a random one :p

Prove that log23 is irrational.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
ln 3 / ln 2?

Since both are irrational? I have no idea. :p

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
Here's a random one :p

Prove that log23 is irrational.
log(2) 3 = ln(3)/ln(2)

hm....

wait...

ln(3)/ln(2) = (ln(2) + ln(1.5))/ln(2) = 1 + ln(1.5)/ln(2)

Ah...doesn't make much difference...

Last edited:

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
addikaye03 said:
Question: ( to keep things going, its 4U tho)

a)If z1=1+i,z2=rt3-i, find the moduli and principal arguments of z1,z2 and z1/z2
b) If z=(1+i)/(rt3-i), find the smallest postive integer n such that z^n is real and evaluate z^n for this integer n.
isnt that MX2...

azureus88

HSC
Suppose log(2) 3 is rational

then log(2)3=p/q
2^(p/q) = 3
2^p = 3^q

but LHS is even and RHS is odd so by contradiction, log(2)3 is irrational.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
azureus88 said:

then log(2)3=p/q
2^(p/q) = 3
2^p = 3^q

so you are basically saying that p and q are irrational from there...

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
azureus88 said:

then log(2)3=p/q
2^(p/q) = 3
2^p = 3^q

yeh, i think that's a great way to prove something is irrational - by contradiction with the p/q stuff

well done

(i would also add that p and q must be integers, q cannot = 0, and p & q have no common factors, if you wanted an even 'better' solution)

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
so you are basically saying that p and q are irrational from there...
yeh he is, he missed a crutial step for ppl who havent seen a proof like this to understand it:

the definition of a rational number is a number that can be expressed in the form of p/q, where p & q are integers and q cannot = 0

so he assumes this, but if assume this u come up with a contradiction, which means it cannot be true, ie the number is not rational

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Pwnage101 said:
yeh, i think that's a great way to prove something is irrational - by contradiction with the p/q stuff

well done

(i would also add that p and q must be integers, q cannot = 0, and p & q have no common factors, if you wanted an even 'better' solution)
Yes, that's very interesting. Answering using the notion of contradiciton seems very useful. I guess I will take that method on board, haha.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
There are proofs that e and π are irrational as well using proof by contradication, but they are far more complicated than this lol (see Extension 2 HSC 2001 and 2003)

Pwnage101

HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
There are proofs that e and π are irrational as well using proof by contradication, but they are far more complicated than this lol (see Extension 2 HSC 2001 and 2003)
lol i still remember my first lesson of 3 unit maths in year 11...i had a great teacher, and the very first lesson he gave us all these definitions of rational numbers, etc then showed us the proof that e is irrational via that contradiction method

i still have my book, and although i didnt understand it at the time, it's times like these when you see that it has actually been tested in MX2 (with direction, of course) that you appreciate a great teacher

gurmies

Drover
HSC
Pwnage, on the first day of year 11 3 unit maths, our teacher did the exact same thing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)