Failing year 11 (1 Viewer)

musing

HSC
So far - for most of my assessments, I have been getting around 70% range, which is pretty shit if I'm aiming for 90 ATAR and over. I know it's only preliminaries and it DOESN'T count but I don't want to end up having a shit ATAR next year with same study habits (non-existent) I have. Right now - all I do is complete my assessments and do homework. My organization skills isn't that bad either, yet I'm still doing shit.

I need some advice - seriously.

mioumiou

HSC
So far - for most of my assessments, I have been getting around 70% range, which is pretty shit if I'm aiming for 90 ATAR and over. I know it's only preliminaries and it DOESN'T count but I don't want to end up having a shit ATAR next year with same study habits (non-existent) I have. Right now - all I do is complete my assessments and do homework. My organization skills isn't that bad either, yet I'm still doing shit.

I need some advice - seriously.
I've got some of my assessments in the 70% range too and my aim is about 90+, even though everyone said that Preliminary doesn't count and everything, but you still need to build up some basic foundations for each of your course. I might go and find a good tutor who can help me with understanding concepts and guide me through. For every of your assessments/ assignments try and get it done earlier and maybe fix it with your tutor or let your teacher to have a look and ask which part you should focus/ improve on. Some people learn stuff faster than others and therefore, if you're a slower learner, spending more time focusing on the subject maybe necessary.

If you complete all of your work from school, set yourself extra work to do (even 15 mins a day is fine ^^)

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I've got some of my assessments in the 70% range too and my aim is about 90+, even though everyone said that Preliminary doesn't count and everything, but you still need to build up some basic foundations for each of your course. I might go and find a good tutor who can help me with understanding concepts and guide me through. For every of your assessments/ assignments try and get it done earlier and maybe fix it with your tutor or let your teacher to have a look and ask which part you should focus/ improve on. Some people learn stuff faster than others and therefore, if you're a slower learner, spending more time focusing on the subject maybe necessary.

If you complete all of your work from school, set yourself extra work to do (even 15 mins a day is fine ^^)
I'm getting a huge range of marks. Ranging from high 60s to 100%. I'm also aiming for the 90s. Keep track of your rank and improve your marks as much as possible by testing out studying techniques to maximise your study efficiency in year 12.

mioumiou

HSC
I'm getting a huge range of marks. Ranging from high 60s to 100%. I'm also aiming for the 90s. Keep track of your rank and improve your marks as much as possible by testing out studying techniques to maximise your study efficiency in year 12.
Hey, thanks a lot Ipodnano!! :)
And good luck with your studies too!

HSC
Uni Grad
Atm I seem to continue having the inconsistencies that you're having. It seems to be rather annoying in a way that I won't be able to achieve the goals that I want to achieve.

My range of marks are between 45% and 98% - physics and maths respectively...
wow, what a contrast between two concept similar subjects >_<

For maths extension 1, I only seem to be able to hit the 70% range. I think maybe the problem is that I don't have enough competition and not enough practice of exam papers. (idk about mathematics as of now because my main goal is getting into extension 2 maths)

Hmm I suggest looking for study techniques online... that's all I can do for now, as I have this similar problem >_<

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
Like lpodnano said, use year 11 as a time to test out as many strategies as possible. Practice learning by reading, listening, explaining or doing. Identify exactly what you don't know how to do and work out who you can ask or what steps you can take to fix it. Form a study group with some friends who are good workers and will challenge you. Get a tutor if your parents will agree to it.

What subjects do you do and which ones are causing you the most trouble? You might be having a similar problem across a range of subjects - eg you might need to work on your essay skills or maybe you don't memorise facts easily enough.

Ask your teachers for advice and any older students you know and see what their tips for success are too.

mioumiou

HSC
Like lpodnano said, use year 11 as a time to test out as many strategies as possible. Practice learning by reading, listening, explaining or doing. Identify exactly what you don't know how to do and work out who you can ask or what steps you can take to fix it. Form a study group with some friends who are good workers and will challenge you. Get a tutor if your parents will agree to it.

What subjects do you do and which ones are causing you the most trouble? You might be having a similar problem across a range of subjects - eg you might need to work on your essay skills or maybe you don't memorise facts easily enough.

Ask your teachers for advice and any older students you know and see what their tips for success are too.
Thanks for the awesome advice!
But with the study group thing, but no one seems to be interested in my school because there's too much "competition" going on.

For maths extension 1, I only seem to be able to hit the 70% range. I think maybe the problem is that I don't have enough competition and not enough practice of exam papers. (idk about mathematics as of now because my main goal is getting into extension 2 maths)
same here, but for me, there's lots of international students in our school and they're just so good at maths! (probably because they've learnt it before....)

musing

HSC

Thanks!

My subjects are mostly essay based, I think I'm having problems with essay writing.. as seeing my assessments mostly consists of essay writing. :(

hscishard

HSC
We need a thread on:

What do you do to achieve 90+ in assignments?

But in general, from experience, using the subjects terminology (geo terminology, scientific terminology) play a big role.

HSC
Uni Grad
But with the study group thing, but no one seems to be interested in my school because there's too much "competition" going on.

same here, but for me, there's lots of international students in our school and they're just so good at maths! (probably because they've learnt it before....)
yeah well in my recent test, got 73%, beat everyone in the class...
the mainlander was 2nd on the list with 68%
but omg the mainlanders are crazy....
and with the other classes not getting their exams back
im gonna be screwed if the average of the other classes is 60% and above
which means likely i wont be in the top 20...
and thats the selection criteria for 4U...

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
You're welcome. Too much competition ... ick, but doesn't surprise me. Keep checking around though ... it's only year 11 and there's plenty of time for things to change. If it's not happening though, try a different route. Ask older friends for help, work on things individually etc.

Thanks!

My subjects are mostly essay based, I think I'm having problems with essay writing.. as seeing my assessments mostly consists of essay writing. :(
If you are having problems with essay writing there's a lot you can do. Check with your teachers as to what exactly they think you need to improve on - it could be any number of things. You can also check out essay help guides on this site and a bunch of others. From there you can do practice essays, work on essay plans and spend time refining your technique. You've got time, it'll be okay.

Don't underestimate the power of preparation w.r.t. essays either. The question of whether you should memorise essays is a controversial one but I've always found it's a lot more reassuring to go into an exam room with something concrete in your head. Adjustments along the way are a lot less stressful than inventing an essay from scratch.

We need a thread on:

What do you do to achieve 90+ in assignments?
Ahahaha. If only there was a definitive guide.

musing

HSC
Thank you so much guys.

I'm just a bit disillusioned. I will ask advice from my teachers about where I went wrong in my essays and hopefully it will go up from there. :)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC

+1

Use your 11 to work out what your best method of study is. Seriously, sit down and think about what you are doing right now when you study, identify what you could do better and do it.

Also, identify your weakest subject and work hard on pulling your marks up for that subject. Your ATAR is based on a combination of your best 10 units after all - if you're acing one subject and getting crap marks in another your ATAR will be dragged down. If your weakest subject is a "back up subject" and you don't give a crap about it, then you shouldn't be keeping that subject in the first place.

mioumiou

HSC
You're welcome. Too much competition ... ick, but doesn't surprise me. Keep checking around though ... it's only year 11 and there's plenty of time for things to change. If it's not happening though, try a different route. Ask older friends for help, work on things individually etc.

If you are having problems with essay writing there's a lot you can do. Check with your teachers as to what exactly they think you need to improve on - it could be any number of things. You can also check out essay help guides on this site and a bunch of others. From there you can do practice essays, work on essay plans and spend time refining your technique. You've got time, it'll be okay.

Don't underestimate the power of preparation w.r.t. essays either. The question of whether you should memorise essays is a controversial one but I've always found it's a lot more reassuring to go into an exam room with something concrete in your head. Adjustments along the way are a lot less stressful than inventing an essay from scratch.

Ahahaha. If only there was a definitive guide.
Once again, thanks for your advice! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)