fair or unfair (1 Viewer)

shell.q

HSC
someone who has really bad anxiety (who was not on medication at the time of trials due to severe reactions) get an estimated mark with the mark they got and their other assessment marks throughout the year averaged.
they couldn't study and would panic in exams.

HSC
i know many people that panic in exams.
they dont get the advantage of estimated marks.

samthebear

HSC
the BoS actually has allowances for things like this lol. its called the EAS. if the BoS does it why can't your school? fair's fair - the person has a serious issue and that is going to put them at a disadvantage. If that person has this so bad that they must be on medication then its only fair for them to be put on equal ground with other people.

What seems to be an unfair advantage to you is just a tool to level out the playing field.
their assesment marks may not even be that great anyways - so i have no idea what the big issue is.

tl;dr: get over yourself.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
sometimes, just sometimes

LIFE IS UNFAIR
haha, when i read the op, my thoughts exactly.

i went and had a chat to my dp the other day, which consisted of a lovely uneloquent breakdown, and he basically said that to me. he also hinted at the unfairness of it all, but think about it, schools can't do anything if the person has a valid reason on a doctor's certificate.

i have a history of anxiety due to certain experiences in my life, but i deem it as cheating to use it to my advantage. i don't deal at all with stress, but in my opinion, some people crack and some people don't. it's just a way of life. some people choose to exploit the system with, basically, lies, whereas others have valid reasons for special provisions.

people exploiting>>>>>>people with valid reasons unfortunately.

anything to get the upper hand apparently.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I reckon it's unfair, but meh. In a Selective school, about 90% of the cohort are fairly stressed, and about 20% of those are on the verge of breaking point. So to get an estimate...it's a bit unfair, but not much you can do about that.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I reckon it's unfair, but meh. In a Selective school, about 90% of the cohort are fairly stressed, and about 20% of those are on the verge of breaking point. So to get an estimate...it's a bit unfair, but not much you can do about that.
Thing is the op insinuated they was taking medication for it, which leads me to believe its not just a bit of stress and more of a major anxiety disorder. Anxiety disorders can be pretty serious, they can really fuck with and inhibit peoples lives. So i dunno, i just don't think the two should be viewed on the same level.

Revacious

o-o
HSC
N/A
nice statistics you got there thomas, are you sure its not more along the lines of 99%/10%?

pman

Banned
HSC
the school, shouldn't give an estimate, the student should apply for EAS and accept the mark given, they then compete against EAS students so shouldn't have an estimate, make them fight fairly against every other EAS student

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
nice statistics you got there thomas, are you sure its not more along the lines of 99%/10%?
Doubt it....we get people like...*cough* Hungwell1337 who leaves a 3 hour exam half way through. Not once, not twice, but three times.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
of course its fair, the dude obviously has a serious problem. give him a break. the school obviously doesnt want to take responsibility if this guy pulls a Virginia Tech.

Sarebs

HSC
I think it's unfair.

I had to leave my English modules paper after 1hr20min because I had 'the runs'. It's life, I got over it, and I'll accept the mark I got.

Mithead

HSC
Its not as though this person woke up and was a little nervous about an English paper. THEY WERE ON MEDICATION. Of course it's fair. Quit your whinging people.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)