Family's reaction to your UAI? (1 Viewer)

Makro

Porcupine
HSC
I'm an accelerant, so I told my mum what I got for my HSC mark:

Me: Hey, mum I got 85.
Mum: That's not 95.
Me: .... *walks back to room*

Yeah, that was heaps encouraging.

Shan4curry

HSC
Hahaha! What a story, ankisha! But it was hard to read... x_x

I got up and saw my marks. I wasn't expecting a Band 6 at all so I ran out of my room and went to Dad who was ironing. I showed him the marks I received on my phone and explained them. He was like "Wow, well done!"
Went upstairs and woke Mum up. Showed her my marks and she was like "AWW CONGRATULATIONS!" and gave me a hug.

When the UAI came out, Mum and I saw it first so we stared blankly at the screen for a while. Mum finally was like 'Aww, not over 90 though" because she knew I really wanted that result. Bit awkward for a second but I showed her my Uni preferences on my noticeboard in my room and she noticed I have a chance at getting into COFA! She's happy for me. Dad was the usual "Good job, you did your best!" =)

It was handy my godmother called the other morning to say my name was in the paper - it perked both my Mum and Dad's moods by tenfold. The only problem is now they're bragging about it so much, it's embarrassing! XD

Last edited:

Smeegen999

HSC
got uai of 98.05...

mum (looks at computer screen): omg thats amazing!! congrats! i'm so proud of you! *starts to cry*

i ring my dad
me: dad i got 98.05
dad:wow. good job. i always knew you were smart but... wow
me: *sarcastic* uhh thanks dad
dad: *laughs awkwardly*

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
ankisha said:
well i got 95.2 n me n my dad wer just stairing at da screen:uhoh: ... my mum was asleep:sleep:

so den he goes....awwwww (not in a very encouraging way :( )
and den i get all sad cuz even though it wasnt my best AT ALL... i did try n da previous day we wer both expecting a 96.... just to safely get into my 1st preference

n den i got completely frustrated cuz i realised i MISSED my 1st preference by literally 0.05%!!! (business n law at mq)

n dden i hugged my dad n he sed dats a really good mark!, congrats, hugs, kisses
n den i woke up my mum n got a hug n congrats, n kisses
n den i sed im officially da 'smartest' girl in our ENTIRE family lol... n den we all laughed

den went to skool, n heard i came like 3rd cuz we hav 2 dux... so we had da duxs n den ME ......n den i was like OK :speechless:

n den went home n told parents everyones marks n now my dad officially hates my skool lolz.:burn:
...UR SKOOL LET U DOWN!...DER IDIOTS.. u shuld hav sworn at dem :mad: lolz

...no gifts....random ppl calling at 9.01 in da morning to ask UAI, ppl ive talked like ONCE to, aunties, international relatives, nervous freinds,,... even enimies 'we read her name in da paper? so wat did she get.... oh! we wer expecting a 98-99 :haha: ,',,, stupid ppl! lol... busy tym

but im scared weather ill get in or not :uhoh:

plz pray for me... i shall for everyone else who sat da hsc... :D lol
Wow, that was incredibly painful to read - couldn't u have tried to type complete words?....but, I guess you should be congratulated. I'm surprised anyone whose posts are that poor would get such a great UAI...

Kirsty Xx

That's the price we pay
HSC
Me: OMFG mum I'm going to university!! I got what I needed so be offered a place in first round!! I'm already accepted!! OMFG blah blah lol

Mum: Oh thank Christ for that! Your father and I thought we would have to enrol you in TAFE; we thought we'd need a back-up plan. Oh well done sweetie.

Dad (later): We're gunna be so poor sending you to uni *sadface*

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
bell531 said:
Wow, that was incredibly painful to read - couldn't u have tried to type complete words?....but, I guess you should be congratulated. I'm surprised anyone whose posts are that poor would get such a great UAI...
lol...

joben

HSC
feel sorry for dose whose parents dont appreciate them, just because they aren't naturally gifted with "superhuman" intelligence. I mean, the best they can expect is the effort, unless their kid is a genius.

Last edited:

joben

HSC
Makro said:
I'm an accelerant, so I told my mum what I got for my HSC mark:

Me: Hey, mum I got 85.
Mum: That's not 95.
Me: .... *walks back to room*

Yeah, that was heaps encouraging.
lol u did IPT accelerated as well. So did I and I got 92 though. I was quite shocked because I didnt really expect it since i kinda bludged all year LOL. But my parents were quite happy - it makes for a nice little backup, having 2 units of band 6 "locked in the vault".

Last edited:

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
bell531 said:
ahh but she's hella gangsta.

so she has to speak like that.

lionking1191

HSC
gibbo153 said:
ahh but she's hella gangsta.

so she has to speak like that.
wow i actually didn't have any trouble reading it. i must have problems

zoeanne

HSC
day results come out...

6am buzz buzz...
**looks at phone half asleep.. happy with results 60-70's (alright for not studing)... zzz goes back to sleep...
mum ( wake up how did you go..)
me (yer alright im happy...)
mum looks at results... ( thats good you should easily get ur uai of 50 now....
me (yep im going back to sleep)

next day UAI comes out..

i go to computer log on and see my result and cry :(

me ( mum i didnt get it...)
mum walks in (what?) looks over shoulder... (oh.. its ok dont worry there are always others ways...)
me still crying.. wondering how the fuck did i only get a 45.35??? and what am i going to do..

other wise parents didnt say to much, they knew i was hard enough on myself for not putting in more effort :(

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
zoeanne said:
day results come out...

6am buzz buzz...
**looks at phone half asleep.. happy with results 60-70's (alright for not studing)... zzz goes back to sleep...

next day UAI comes out..

mum walks in (what?) looks over shoulder... (oh.. its ok dont worry there are always others ways...)
me still crying.. wondering how the fuck did i only get a 45.35??? and what am i going to do..

other wise parents didnt say to much, they knew i was hard enough on myself for not putting in more effort :(
That's very unfortunate.

I guess you can still make a transfer from one uni to another though. Good luck!

joshoh

HSC
My hsc marks were good; Standard english,Drama, Hospo,Ancient History, Music 1, despite this, my folks and I expected the scaling would be shit and the UAI pretty low.

JJBearPaw

HSC
jonnypride said:
No i thought my uai was going to be 70 so i told him that, my uai was 39.
ohh god, this has to be the worst. I totally feel your pain.

haha, dad saw my marks and was like "wow you can get a good 75 with that!"

...yeah someone forgot about scaling...

65 wasnt so bad, but it's just that look of disappointment that gets you every time.

To the people who's parents complain about spending shit loads of money to put their kids through private school because they got really shit UAI's. Wtf. Just because they spend excessive amounts of money on them SHOULDNT obligate them more than anyone else to do better. It's the parents choice if they do that, and the kids then can try or not. I think it's stupid blaming the kids for messing up and wasting their money, when they could have just as easily sent them to a pubbo school.
It's so stupid.

P: blah blah blah we wasted $100, 000 on you!
K: Sorry you CHOSE to do that

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
runnable said:
So lets hear them. My story,

*after spending 20 mins struggling with the UAC site, it SUDDENLY got in and surprised me with an UAI*

UAI: 98.50

Dad: Maybe your school's ranking pulled it down?

Me: ...
He must be asian

eriito

Elite Member
HSC
zoeanne said:
day results come out...

6am buzz buzz...

next day UAI comes out..

My sister got a UAI around that a few years ago but similarly my parents didn't expect a high UAI from her as she's never really been hard-working or academically gifted. They were still shocked at her UAI though because being the asian parents that they are, they had never heard of anyone scoring that low before. Anyway, I wish you the best of luck! ;D

HSC
bell531 said:
n den n den n den n den n den

nottellingu

HSC
BlueGiraffe said:
I got 96.65... my dad was on the net when I got it and said "so hard work pays off", my mum msged me congrats and my teachers are ecstatic. Except now annoyingly my mum and her partner think I should be doing a course with a higher UAI. They said I should do medicine somewhere... which I tried to point out would have required me to do maths... agh...
But Mainly good reception. Wasn't expecting that high.

It would have required u to do umat...and do very well in umat unless youre hoping on getting into uws and u live in the gws region. Then ur right in the hunt ! For UNSW with that uai umat probably needs to be 190 ish-200.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)