Fantasy? (1 Viewer)

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by Belle
The first trilogy was definitely brilliant, but only got through half of the second trilogy. I thought it was nowhere near as good as the first one.
Trust me, once you get through all 6 of the books, you feel much better than when you've only read 5 and a half. True, the second trilogy is nowhere near as good as the first one, but the conclusion is worth reading, at least finish it off.

picaresque

HSC
wow wow wow. traci harding is terrible!!! - but i can't deny my friend and i are driven to read them compulsively just so we can bitch about how crap they are etc etc etc. mmm.

um, haven't read much of eddings but i hated what i had read, very predictable and so conventional with his characters etc.

basically, i've pretty much gone off fantasy as a genre (and i got really sick of wheel of time - any story that refuses to end and keeps getting more and more dragged out is just sloppy storytelling and jordan should stop milking the public for money with those endless books, i mean even his descriptions become repetitive!!!) but mmm, the axis triology by sara douglass was ok -- but like any fantasy book, don't read it too deeply!!! but the wayfarer redemption was another source of lunchtimes of bitching. katherine kerr's deverry series was pretty good from memory - heaven help this last positive opinion should i read them again.

Barbie_Bitch

Originally posted by KeypadSDM
Trust me, once you get through all 6 of the books, you feel much better than when you've only read 5 and a half. True, the second trilogy is nowhere near as good as the first one, but the conclusion is worth reading, at least finish it off.
its very interesting to think of how she ended it...sooo strange. and all that stuff with her as a character. i was weirded out by it

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
lol yeah i thought the 1st book of the 1st trilogy was alright... then it became a wierder and wierder and wierder and... funny... in a wierded out way

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Anyone read Trudi Canavans Black Magician Trilogy?
What'd you think of it?
I read it, but I am undecided as to whether I like it, or whether it's another run-of-the-mill fantasy trilogy.

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
have any of you read the bitterbynde trilogy by cecilia dart-thornton? i found that really interesting.ots actually quite good if you like lots of myths and legends type stuff since she took lots of the ideas from celtic myth.
i dont know bout anyone else but sometimes i find it really hard to know whether i really like a book or not.. i mean, you cant judge a book by its cover rite? so you read it and give it a go. then when i do i get so enthralled and into the whole new world that i just want to finish the darn thing. but when i do its kinda like youve just sliced off something you were so connected to....
hmmm...
okai, the point m trying to make is that...er... well... i guess i suck at giving reveiws- especially fantasy books because i seem to like them all!
:eek: oh my...

sweetcherry

HSC
Uni Grad
Carmody's books are pretty good... can't remember which ones I have read, lol

I don't read mucn fanasty books, but I've been always wanting to read the LOTR series.

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Carmody's books are amazing! I've read every single one (I think I have too much time on my hands).

She's like my... author-idol person hehe.
I have a book signed by her. One of my most prized possessions.

SaO

i love fantasy specially when its mixed with some romance too :) woot wooot mercedes lackeys new line is gonna be good !! but i have to say Carmody, Hobb, Salvatore, Pullman and Eddings kick ass .. although id recommend anything written by Tamora Pierce to everyone .. her books are on young kid shelves but can be read by everyone .. Pierce and Emily Rodda were the books that got me into fantasy .. i can still remember the days in yr 5 when my teacher would read Rowan of Rin to us .. god i love fantasy books with a passion .. nothing is betta then a good book

Also the Fionavar Tapestry Trilogy by Guy Gavriel Kay is a must read .. these three books are heaps good id recommend them to everyone out there that likes mages, time travel etc etc

Last edited:

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
I have to say I don't think much of Tamora Pierce's work... like individually each series thing is ok, but all together the story lines are practically identical... you know, young woman struggles with her magic but has a great destiny and meets great magical man to fall in love with blah blah. It got to the stage where I couldn't remember which series a book was from because they were all so similar...
Of course, that series about the 4 kids with magical abilities is an exception to the repetitive storyline syndrome she has going, but that series and it's follow up one I think is most suited to kids...
Just my two cents hehe.

But ahh Philip Pullman! One of my big obsessions when I was younger, I think I overdosed on him though cos I'm kinda over it now, hehe.
This might have already been mentioned somewhere, but I heard they were turning the His Dark Materials trilogy into a movie. It'll be interesting to see what it's like.

great_gregory

I'm really just OK...
HSC
Eddings is good. Tad williams is good. Traci Harding's first series was good (haven't read the second one yet... :rolleyes: ), CS Lewis is good, Brooks is good especially his last 4 books.

But the cream of the crop is Terry Goodkind. No one, and I mean no one comes near this guy when it comes to some amazing fantasy novels. His last couple were a little disapointing, but the first 6 were more than good enough to make up for it. ;) Faith of the Fallen was probably the best, followed closly by Wizard's first rule, and Stone of Tears.

I recommend TG to anyone who hasn't read his stuff. Don't hurt yourselves by ignoring me... :p

Protector

a little unsane
HSC
I liked Eddings, Goodkind was excellent, but I must say after Faith of the Fallen I think it went downhill.

If you want a break from the standard stuff get some Raymond E Fiest, its got a few twists in it that aren't quite as common as you'd expect... Kind of hidden though.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Fantasy is the only genre of books I read. I am currently reading "Castle Of Wizardry" which is book four of "The Belgariad" and written by David Eddings. It is definitely a quality series, and one which I would recommend to any fantasy fan:).

J

jhakka

David Eddings:
- The Belgariad
- The Malloreon
- Belgarath the Sorceror and Polgara the Soceress
- The Redemption of Althalus

Eddings is good, but his plots are a tad two dimensional and repetitive. Those books were some of the first fantasy novels that I'd read and blew me away when I started. Not so much now, thought.

Robin Hobb:
- The Farseer Trilogy
- The Liveship Traders
- The Tawny Man

I love Hobb. The Farseer Trilogy is the best series I've ever read (particularly Royal Assassin). I'd never read anything like her books. I love the characters and the plot, and I'm waiting for the final book to come out in paperback. The Farseer Trilogy was the best of the three trilogies, although I think the final book Assassin's Quest was a little drawn out. The Liveship Traders was slow to get into, but enjoyable once I get into the storyline. The first book in The Tawny Man, Fool's Errand was a bit slow and didn't seem to go anywhere, but I think the second one, The Golden Fool made up for that.

Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman:
- Dragon Lance Chronicles
- Dragon Lance Legends
- The Death Gate Cycle

All enjoyable. Tasslehoff and Raistlin were the best characters in the Dragon Lance books. The Death Gate Cycle was really good. I particularly liked the third book, Fire Sea with all the dead people. A darker series that was a tad confusing in the first couple of books, but really enjoyable.

David Gemmell:
- The Rigante

All the Rigante novels were good. The first two, The Sword in the Storm and Midnight Falcon were in a Rome vs Barbarians type world. They held my attention effortlessly the first time throuh and were quite enjoyable. The latter two, Ravenheart and Stormrider were set in a French/English revolution type thing. They were more modern than the first two, but just as enjoyable when I got to know the characters and adjusted to the environment.

Traci Harding:
- The Ancient Future Trilogy
- The Celestial Triad
- The Alchemist's Key

I really enjoyed The Ancient Future Trilogy. They were great sci-fi/fantasy books. The first two were more fantasy than anything else, which was good, but it was really cool when it got into the third book, Masters of Reality, which was really sci-fi and not some weird mix like the second one, An Echo in Time. The Celestial Triad was enjoyable, but a lot of the spiritual crap went over my head. The action was good, though. The Alchemist's Key was dull. I bought the first two books in The Ancient Future Trilogy and The Celestial Triad at Angus and Robertson the other week in their two for the price of one sci-fi sale thing. Unfortunately they didn't have the third in each series in any package.

Sara Douglass:
- The Axis Trilogy
- The Wayfarer Redemption

I really like these books. The one problem I had with Douglass' style was how in the first book, BattleAxe she changed viewpoints too quickly. One minute we were following, say, Axis and the next we're seeing what Faraday thinks. She didn't do that as much in the other books, though. The Axis Trilogy was really enjoyable, although the snowy environment got a bit dull after a while. I'm currently reading the second book in The Wayfarer Redemption, Pilgrim, and I must say this series is a lot darker and there is more of a sci-fi element to it. I'm not a fan of fantasy worlds that are touched by advanced technology, but since it's not an aspect of every chapter I can still enjoy the books. The characters in The Wayfarer Redemption are a lot more dislikable. Axis is more of an idiot and I don't really like Caelum.

J.R.R. Tolkien:
- The Hobbit
- The Lord of the Rings

Most goes without saying. Good story. A little too much description for my taste.

There are others that I can't remember, but those are most of the authors and books that I've read and enjoyed.

Seabiscuit

HSC
Originally posted by Macross

On a side note Kate Forsyth - Witches of Eileanan is also a good read~ its a really interesting book on witches which are quite rare~

The Witches of Eileanan series are my favourite books of all time! I have the whole series at home and i've read it a million times! They're so good! Anyone who hasnt read them MUST!

Seabiscuit

HSC
Oh and btw... is it normal to like Isobelle Carmody and Tamora Pierce books and others like them if u're aged Year 12 and above? Because my library has those books in the children's section, and i'm like the oldest person who goes into it.. apart from the parents of the 5 year olds.. and i feel really strange borrowing those books... (or any books from there)

Inhuman

HSC
that's why i bought all my carmody books :D

A new author who i can't remember the name of wrote a book called The Aware. It's very good, sucks you straight in and next thing you know you're disappointed as all hell that she hasn't written the rest of the series yet

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)