Fastest internet in NSW? (1 Viewer)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
#3- TPG rents their phone lines off of Telstra. Right now Telstra is redoing many of its phone lines, so network availability is alot better then it use to be. And if buyers are still worried, the TPG website also has a simple function. Put your phone number in and it will tell you if the network is available and a topographic map of the type of connection.
I agree with everything but this point. Telstra owns all the infrastructure. ie. all ISPs rent their lines off Telstra.

proringz

HSC
I'm currently with Optus ADSL 2+. My speed (in my sig) is pretty slow compared to others on ADSL2+, which I think it is due to the long distance between my home and the exchange. But in terms of service, Optus is great and the net has never disconnected (unlike other providers).
To answer the question, I believe the fastest would be UNSW internet at 10 gigabits/sec http://www.itnews.com.au/News/155167,unsw-fibre-link-sped-up-tenfold.aspx

Last edited:

TBK11

HSC
i believe its possible to hit up in the 4mb download speed ive done so in the past most probably a glitch in my ISP screen shots below from that time though this was a while back and the speed started dropping.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Gigabytes/Gigabits. Bits are smaller then Bytes, and hence shown as:

Bits=b
Bytes=B

For every 8 bits, you get 1 Byte.

/IT+IPT techy.

As for ISP's, id rather TPG for several reasons.

#1- Customer service is fucking awesome. Did a week of workplacement, had to set up a network for a customer, they helped in 5 mins. Telstra had me on hold for 10 mins. This happened atleast 5 times every day for a week.

#2- Their pricing is not only competitive, they are justified. Seriously, im on something like $40 for 12GB with Telstra, if was to add another $40, id get 80GB with TPG.

#3- TPG rents their phone lines off of Telstra. Right now Telstra is redoing many of its phone lines, so network availability is alot better then it use to be. And if buyers are still worried, the TPG website also has a simple function. Put your phone number in and it will tell you if the network is available and a topographic map of the type of connection.

#4- Telstra sucks. Passing off huge bills to pay for their own bill of $420M/per year to Optus to rent Satellite transponders.

Do you know how Customer Service works? The Customer Service software is designed to narrow the most obvious answers down, then allow them to walk the client/customer through it. I should know, i designed the GUI for my teachers Customer Service that he had other students program.
and then the drop out rate

UNSW lulz.
UNSW lulz.

despite 50+MB/s, they dont like copyright breaching activities and when i tried to play MPO+ on their wireless internet connection from my PSP i had connection problems, must be the other side.

Top Secret

HSC
Gigabytes/Gigabits. Bits are smaller then Bytes, and hence shown as:

Bits=b
Bytes=B

For every 8 bits, you get 1 Byte.
Haha, what? That's it? Instead of writing 700mB, I wrote 700mb, and that's the mistake? If so, I did the calculations as to the time it would take to download a 700mB file, so I hardly believe such a small error will confuse anyone.

You're living in a perfect world, flowers blooming everywhere, sun shining everyday...a world without lawyers, 'cause hey! who makes mistakes! :p

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Top Secret said:
Okay, so you're the computer nerd here. Instead of attacking me on my mistakes, could you at least point out the errors that I have made so I will not make them next time?
Top Secret said:
Additionally, going with TPG almost guarantees you poor service uptime. They offer huge data allowance, which often result in slower speeds or more frequent dropouts for many customers.
On the other hand, an advanced user will have a better understanding of their "own connection" and may be able to diagnose the problem themselves, and only then will they be asking "the right questions" such as a problem with line synchronization, or to increase line noise margin for greater stability, etc.
The part in bold makes no sense at all.
What is 'line synchronization' and what is 'line noise margin'
Wrong/vague terms

Top Secret

HSC
The part in bold makes no sense at all.
I should've elaborated on that. TPG offers such huge download limits at such low costs, that it attracts a number of heavy use internet customers. Now I don't care if you don't believe this, but as a result, TPG's back haul usually gets exhasted, which in turn leads to customers experiencing capped speeds, or even dropouts.

What is 'line synchronization' and what is 'line noise margin'
Wrong/vague terms
With the terms, this is what I could find. I tend to not care too much about the technicalities, since I'm not interested in a career in the IT field.

Line sync:
https://support.newnet.co.uk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=289

Noise margin: Noise margin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Top Secret

HSC
Haha, well that's quite meh compared to world standards.

I remember once remotely connecting to a 1gbps server in Sweden, and downloading a 6gb torrent on that.

Within 10sec, speed climbed to 10mB/s, and continued to rise, till another min. From that point, speed fluctuated between 20 and 50mB/s. That was my "wow" moment.

kwabon

Banned
HSC
haha, well that's quite meh compared to world standards.

I remember once remotely connecting to a 1gbps server in sweden, and downloading a 6gb torrent on that.

Within 10sec, speed climbed to 10mb/s, and continued to rise, till another min. From that point, speed fluctuated between 20 and 50mb/s. That was my "wow" moment.
wow

Dr1p_Dr0pz

HSC
go with Internode they are one of Australia's top ISP's ive been with them since 06 ive never had a billing problem they just take it out of my bank account and there has been NO downtime at all in 3 years! customer service is great , you speak to aussies and also if ur wondering my plan is standard adsl 1500kbps and 50gb downloads which is great for me even when downloading big files i get speeds of 200KB's per sec ...movies take about an hour to dl and yeah jsut go with internode yo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)