Favourite and Least Favourite Prelim Subjects (1 Viewer)

Focus is Key

HSC
Hey guys, I was just wondering what your favourite and most hated subjects are.

For me:

Favourite-

Extension 1 English: I find the class so interesting and far better than Advanced English. In Extension English you actually delve into the context of the novels and aren't just seemingly only looking for techniques and explaining them like in Advanced. The novels are also far better- for example, I've finished 'Catcher in the Rye' and 'Nineteen Eighty Four' and am currently reading 'Dracula' (which are all excellent books imo) Plus our teacher is amazing and brings in food and drink for the after-school classes and the environment of the class is really relaxing and calm.

Least Favourite:

Advanced Maths: The huge level of content is annoying to me. We just finished Algebra, Surds, Factorisation, algebraic equations etc and you can make mistakes SO easily! I seem to need to revise this subject the most even to get a decent result.

I actually don't mind Extension 1 Maths, the content is harder however I actually quite like the Extension topics by themselves (plus the class is more fun)!.

So, what subjects are your favourite and least favourite?

dr cookie

HSC
Currently loving Geography, as the class is so chilled, plus I find the content really interesting
(but yeah I also like EE1, because our class is tiny (4 kids) as well as the teacher being an absolute legend)

Am hating 2U maths. Our class is a mix of 2U and 3U kids. The teacher seems to favour the 3U kids (exceedingly so) and us 2U kids are left straggling. Last year, our teacher was fantastic, which was probably why I went so well. This year, we've got a great bloke, but I can't say I like his methods all that much.

HSC
Favourite: Biology or Food Tech

Least Favourite: Advanced English (Bloody Shakespeare :\ )

Am hating 2U maths. Our class is a mix of 2U and 3U kids. The teacher seems to favour the 3U kids (exceedingly so) and us 2U kids are left straggling. Last year, our teacher was fantastic, which was probably why I went so well. This year, we've got a great bloke, but I can't say I like his methods all that much.
Wait what?? How is that possible, wouldn't the 3u kids be like going so fast and have to have extra lessons. Wouldnt the 2u guys be straggling behind?

dr cookie

HSC

Wait what?? How is that possible, wouldn't the 3u kids be like going so fast and have to have extra lessons. Wouldnt the 2u guys be straggling behind?
The 3U kids have an extra 2 lessons per week with a different teacher and do the 3U topics (circle geo, etc etc). Some find the 2U course much harder (probably because their 3U teacher is a legend).

Because our school is so small, we can't have two 2U classes :\ Quite a few of us are considering dropping to general soon

Girls

HSC
3U Maths > Ext. 1 English >>> Chemistry = Economics >>> English Advanced >>>>> Physics for me.

I thought physics would be really maths oriented. I was wrong.

ncoul

HSC
Favourite: Japanese continuers, Modern History and Drama

Bullshit: Society and Culture hahaha, wow im dropping this quick next year

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
As far as I'm concerned, the compulsory English subjects should be taught in the way Extension 1 English is taught.

As OP stated, the fact you learn about the contextual factors which shaped literature in a particular areas is much more useful for students than learning analytical techniques which in most cases can only be exclusively applied to literature and not the wider world.

Focus is Key

HSC
Its exactly the same for me dr cookie!. Last year we had this really good teacher who could explain really well and the majority of our class got 85%+ on tests. This year our teacher is very smart but can't explain well at all and just like your teacher his methods are really annoying and vague to me + his tests are far too difficult compared to other teachers/schools. Only 4 people out of 18 passed his test! (including the 3 Unit Kids)

Focus is Key

HSC
As far as I'm concerned, the compulsory English subjects should be taught in the way Extension 1 English is taught.

As OP stated, the fact you learn about the contextual factors which shaped literature in a particular areas is much more useful for students than learning analytical techniques which in most cases can only be exclusively applied to literature and not the wider world.
I, along with seemingly everyone in our Advanced class, would far prefer the Extension 1 method as well. Most of the people I've talked to dislike English due to its huge focus on the techniques and analysis so I reckon it'd benefit everyone if a syllabus similar to Ext 1 was implemented.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad

What play are you doing?

3U Maths > Ext. 1 English >>> Chemistry = Economics >>> English Advanced >>>>> Physics for me.

I thought physics would be really maths oriented. I was wrong.
^ yes, physics is like that :\ I think it only gets worse in HSC but you learn about more interesting stuff like Einstein's theory of special relativity :D

Magical Kebab

HSC

This. If this was the case, kids would stop complaining to why english is compulsory, the difference between the two is massive. English would be worthwhile if kids where taught this.

dr cookie

HSC
My question is: Why is English compulsory?

Firstly, most kids can't use simple words correctly, particularly "your" and "you're", as well as "there", "they're" and "their", and English Adv and Std are teaching analytical techniques? How can we, as students, be expected to do that, when the majority of us don't know the difference between a verb and an adverb?

Seriously, it makes NO SENSE to teach what some consider to be useless (analysing poetry for example), when I'd say 50% of the 2013 HSC class can't use homophones correctly. This is NOT supposed to be a rant at those people, as I find it difficult at times to decipher between 'affect' and 'effect', just as one example, but it REALLY confuses me as to why the Board of Studies have a very demanding course in Advanced, when most people haven't mastered the basics.

Anyone agree with me?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Most Favourite : Economics
Most Hated: Advanced English (adv english can seriously go die, EE1 is so much better)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Firstly, most kids can't use simple words correctly, particularly "your" and "you're", as well as "there", "they're" and "their", and English Adv and Std are teaching analytical techniques? How can we, as students, be expected to do that, when the majority of us don't know the difference between a verb and an adverb?

Seriously, it makes NO SENSE to teach what some consider to be useless (analysing poetry for example), when I'd say 50% of the 2013 HSC class can't use homophones correctly. This is NOT supposed to be a rant at those people, as I find it difficult at times to decipher between 'affect' and 'effect', just as one example, but it REALLY confuses me as to why the Board of Studies have a very demanding course in Advanced, when most people haven't mastered the basics.

Anyone agree with me?
It just goes to show there is still a lot of space for improvement in regards to teaching in Y7-10 and maybe even primary school teaching.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Anyone agree with me?
Because all that stuff was meant to be taught earlier. You should already know those simple words, and that simple meta-language. Unfortunately, kids either aren't picking this up, or it's not being taught well early on. The year 11 and 12 courses should be a practical application of them, which is what they essentially are. It's the junior work that really needs to be revised first, before we can even attempt to reconstruct the senior topics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)