Favourite Character? (1 Viewer)

PoisonIvy

Mr Darcy from Pride and Prejudice- yum, gotta love those arrogant guys who u just wanna...oh and Gilbert Blythe from Anne of Green Gables cos he reminds me of someone who is absolutely the most amazingest

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
-Leopold Bloom, from Ulysses. Throughout the course of the text, the reader is given deep insight into almost every aspect of his personality and psyche, and this character is fundamentally human, from the allusions/associations of his thought process [See 'Hades'] to the events of his past being hinted at. (Bloom's Waterloo is mentioned at several points throughout).

Leopold is by no means idealised, being rather flawed in aspects, but an ultimately noble character, fundamentally caring about the world around him, and facing the slings and arrows of outrageous oppression.

-But it's no use, says he [L.Bloom]. Force, hatred, history, all that. That's not life for men and women, insult and hatred. And everybody knows that it's the very opposite of that that is really life.
-What? says Alf.
-Love, says Bloom. I mean, the opposite of hatred.
[p.432]

As such, Leopold Bloom is one of my favourite literary characters, not only for the details of his persona, but for the means through which this is presented to the responder.

Nupil

HSC
N/A
- Lady Macbeth (Gregor Samsa said Macbeth ... however I prefer his female counterpart in a lot of ways. She's a strong character to begin with ... but her tragic demise is a reminder of whole quickly we can loose control. I enjoy her dramatic speeches and "All the perfumes of arabia could not sweeten this little hand" has been imprinted in my memory for years - love it!)

- Nanny Ogg (Yes! I don't know who is a Discworld fan like Generator and myself - but I love what her character represents, rather than her character alone. While I enjoy the fact she's a determined strong-willed woman ... she does as she pleases and has a shot of whiskey for it all! She's a barrel of laughs like most of Discworld ... but she's Fun. and I possibly see parrallels between us... but the Fun wins out! Yes, fun with a capital F.)

- Perrin From the Wheel of Time Series (I'm not too sure why ... maybe because he is so strong and gentle and confused at once. Someone that needs someone to look after him - but would never give off that image.)

- Iago (What can I say? I have a heart for the scoundrels... but Iago's character is brilliantly deviant. He is so passionate about the misdeeds of others. I don't fancy the portagonist - Othello strangely enough is his name - much personally ... but the way that Shakespeare has written Iago, he comes to life from the pages and when acted out is the one that requires the greatest test of acting skill.)

- Mrs Elton! (Yes! I know! ... Shes vulgar, crass, crude, loud, obnoxious, a character for Austen to manifest a large spectrum of social qualities that weren't to be tolerated in Enlightenment England ... but she's really brilliant! She's the only good thing I found about Emma.)

- Remus Lupin (I can't very well forget the reason that I have my screen name - can I?)

- Benjamin from Animal Farm (His cynicism is something the book needs and highlights the way the world and politics appear more often than not to some. Because of his cynicism nothing changes or rather he doesnt embrace the change. I like this character maybe Im just attracted to cynical asses.)

- John the Savage from Brave New World (I just find his character intriguing and interesting. He is a romantic in a world that doesnt understand the idea of notion. He is caught between two worlds and starts to go mad. He doesnt know what he wants. Its an odd combination or sympathy and good old curiosity about this character.)

Maybe I should stop? There are also plenty of characters I didnt like. Lots of them. Plenty! and there are many more I like too. I dont believe that characters alone make a good novel, and I definitely dont believe that for a character to have appeal they need to be described in-depth with psychoanalysis at every turn. Authors that make us think about a character through their actions rather than writing it out for us are doing a tremendous job. Im feeling lazy again. Maybe Ill come up with more later.

Last edited:

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Hamlet, from...er...Hamlet

and also Cypher from 'The Matrix'- I can relate to both characters very well.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
lol! sirius black is what makes prisoner of azkaban the best hp book by far =)

becky sharp, from vanity fair:
"revenge may be wicked, but it's natural," answered miss rebecca. "i'm no angel." And, to say the truth, she certainly was not.

LiKe A FiSh

HSC
N/A
Aragorn is kewl but i liked him before he was everyones favourite exiled king.......
The nurse from R&J.what a funky monkey
All of Marian Keyes characters, except in Sushi for Beginners.highly recommended for a light but substantial read
Miss Marple...Christie

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Yuki from Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami
or Midori from Norwegian Wood by the same author

I also like..

Frederico Henry from A Farewell to Arms by Hemmingway, Yossarian from Catch 22
and Forrest Gump from well.. Forrest Gump

To add to this, a character from a Wu Xia novel by Jin Yong

Yang Guo from Shen Diao Xia Lui

Last edited:
J

jhakka

FitzChivalry Farseer from the Farseer Trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy by Robin Hobb. He rocks.

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
Originally posted by jhakka
FitzChivalry Farseer from the Farseer Trilogy and the Tawny Man trilogy by Robin Hobb. He rocks.
Fitz was awesome for around.. 4 books, and ok in Golden Fool as well. Then along came the finale and he turned to crap, getting bossed around by every person in the family. Sad to see really.

SimpaticO

Happy Man
I liked Daisy in "The Great Gatsby". This is simply due to the fact that she is somewhat suppressed and knows it and up until the very end of the novel feels bound by the need to maintain her image and hold herself from her dreams and desires. It can be related to in so many ways. Loved her!

gene

Vernon Gregory Little, from DBC Pierre's 'Vernon God Little'. This guy is brutaly honest, which i respect in a person above all things. Despite his startling choice of language, you can't help but feel affection for the kid.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by SimpaticO
I liked Daisy in "The Great Gatsby". This is simply due to the fact that she is somewhat suppressed and knows it and up until the very end of the novel feels bound by the need to maintain her image and hold herself from her dreams and desires. It can be related to in so many ways. Loved her!
i absolutely DESPISED the character of daisy in gatsby! i dont usually get so worked up abt a character from a book but when she was conspiring to to let gatsby take all the blame for the accident....THAT particular scene pissed me off...she is the representation of the degradation of wateva morals america had....i was going to base my ee2 on gatsby so i have a tonne of research into that and maybe daisy's character annoyed me so much...i went off the gatsby idea...

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Aragorn is a new favourite, I loved him in the films (yay Viggo) but I love him even more in the books.

Someone mentioned Hamlet, that's a good choice, but I liked Gertrude, she honestly had no idea what she had done wrong until Hamlet came into her bedroom.

Lady_Disdain

HSC
Character

Mary Abacus from 'The Potato Factory' and Sayuri from 'Memoirs of a Geisha'

J

jhakka

Originally posted by jim_green
Fitz was awesome for around.. 4 books, and ok in Golden Fool as well. Then along came the finale and he turned to crap, getting bossed around by every person in the family. Sad to see really.
Shut up, man. I haven't read the last one yet. Haha.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)