Feel Like i Dont Belong (3 Viewers)

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
Im well into my degree and still havent made any friends.
Going to o week i feel so out of place. no one hands me flyers
lost touch with old friends.
become depressed

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
i mean none at all walking up and down the main walkway
considering how many possibilities there are to get them its discouraging

rayy_bann

HSC
Well I know your situation is very depressing. It feels like no one will be your friend right? wrong! there are heaps of ways to find people to talk to! You can join societies, groups etc. There should be plenty in UNSW! and also remember, that you should NOT always expect people to come to you. Why don't you go up, get a flier from a society you like and ask questions about what the group offers. It just starts with little conversation, but remember that people may not always be approaching you, but you can approach them. Don't be shy! many are in the same boat as you :) Good luck!

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think there was as many people to day then yesterday. I saw less people hand flyers so don't feel sad. :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
did you join mathsoc? of course you didn't. there's your problem.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
First year is always tough, especially because first year-ers are generally pretty up themselves and full of flares, it will eventually die down after a semester or two and people will seem more approachable.

HSC
did you join mathsoc? of course you didn't. there's your problem.
pun intended, i hope

be glad you aren't being hassled with useless information which you will almost instantaneously bin given the chance (sim card for international calls watup)

TheStallion

HSC
When handing shit out nobody cares who you are, I had to hand out heaps of flyers for a talk on Tuesday and I just gave shit to anyone, even people who didn't look like they would be remotely interseted in it.

As for making friends, well if the degree is almost over then there's no point, should have done it ages ago, i.e back in first year, but it's not hard, just chat to people in tutes and lectures.

maratyeu

HSC
N/A
When handing shit out nobody cares who you are, I had to hand out heaps of flyers for a talk on Tuesday and I just gave shit to anyone, even people who didn't look like they would be remotely interseted in it.
thats kind of my point they hand out fliers to "everyone"

sakurashizune

HSC
Uni Grad
become depressed
Not even religious flyers???

And don't worry man. I'm on the same boat. I went to my Medicinal Chemistry meet up, there was only 30 of us and I was dissapointed that I didn't make friends with anyone.
In fact, almost everyone knew at least one other person in that class from either school or other reasons and they just hung amongst themselves and never bothered getting to know anyone else.

But the Dean of Science did say that it would take a while to make friends in the uni so maybe it'll be better next week :)

HSC
N/A
go to the roundhouse party tomorrow at 5, you'll almost definitely meet some people there, if you don't you've probably been wearing a USyd shirt around but didn't realise it :p

pussaypatrol

HSC
become depressed
How did you lose touch with old friends? Just try to be more confident and meet someone new.

TheStallion

HSC
thats kind of my point they hand out fliers to "everyone"
My point is that people probably just got lazy or you got unlucky. As others said, goto the roundhouse party tomorrow, or better yet chill out in the beer garden/play a game of pool on a normal day, much better than the parties.

rayy_bann

HSC
If you make the first move, more than likely other people will be welcoming enough to talk to you and eventually be your friend

HSC
If it makes you feel any better, I went yesterday and the only fliers I got were from the sydney morning herald or something, offering me student discount subscriptions xD
Not receiving a flier isn't the end of the world, so try not to think about it :) When I walked into uni yesterday, at first I felt "fark, I am so out of place, everyone has a friend with them. wtf", but I just kept on walking around and made myself feel more comfortable with the place, then the BS thoughts went away.

I know what it feels like to be at uni with no friends - I did it a couple of years ago and it was fucking painful watching everyone around me. I was a very shy girl, and didn't feel like I fit in either (I was 20 and everyone around me was 17/18, not a huge difference, but take into perspective that I had already been through the motions of being out of school for 2 years, and I found it frustrating to go through it again).
Anyway, you could join a club or society. I joined some, and am hoping that I'll make some friends there. I'm also going to make a conscious effort to chat to people in labs and such. What do we really have to lose at the end of the day? We come across somebody who we don't like, or who don't want to talk back. You can take with stride that you made an effort to be sociable/friendly, and if they don't reciprocate, just do the same damn tomorrow with another person. It'll work eventually :)

Honestly, I really think people are just waiting for the other person to just say hello. I know I used to be.

beachee99

HSC
you're just lazy. to be honest and you're so self-centred about your loneliness that even not getting flyers is making you think everyone is thinking of ignoring you. Make an effort - everyone at o-week wants people to join them - especially the banks etc that want customers. Even better - talk to people in your course they OBVIOUSLY have a shared interest.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
just go talk to people

like i was on a train today, and it was one of those fast ones - and i sat opposite two pretty good looking girls (7/10, both of them) - and umm... yeah, kinda kicked myself later when i was like "WHY DID I NOT TALK TO THEM :("

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)