For anyone who got 99+: did you have a job? (1 Viewer)

Did you have a job while you did the HSC?

• Yes

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 60 59.4%

• Total voters

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Idyll said:
yeah, i've heard centrelink gives out money for doing nothing anyway.

why bother working at all?

in all seriousness, the point being made in this thread is that if you effectively manage your time, it's possible to have a job and do well in the HSC. it's a valuable point to be aware of. would you rather finish the hsc and be broke, or finish and have some money?
Hmm...obviously I'd rather have some money :)
Although I think personally I mightn't work until after the HSC.

SamuelB

HSC
Right

acmilan said:
No. Not because I wanted to go good in the HSC but because I didnt really need the money
My dear, I can see why you should not have worked.. you needed to work on your grammer instead.

"I wanted to do good in the HSC", Is I beleive supposed to be something along the lines of "I wanted to do well in the HSC"..

Idyll

HSC
SamuelB said:
My dear, I can see why you should not have worked.. you needed to work on your grammer instead.

"I wanted to do good in the HSC", Is I beleive supposed to be something along the lines of "I wanted to do well in the HSC"..
And you should really work on your spelling. It's grammar not grammer.

~ ReNcH ~ - You should do whatever you feel comfortable with. Working after the HSC is fine, just make sure you at least have something to do for the long break.

Besides, finding a suitable job can be a pain. If you have a dodgy boss, or they want to roster you on all the time because you're cheap, you'll probably wind up quiting anyway.

Jonathan A

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
For any of you guys who got UAIs of 99+, did you have part-time jobs while you were doing your HSC?

Don't listen to the "do-well-in-your-HSC-no-job' people. A UAI is a number, not your life. It is no where near as important as experience. Just because you have a good uai, does not put you in front of everyone else. If you have no personality, no ability to communicate with people as you do in the workplace, you have no chance in this challenging world. You may find a job, but you wont progress very far. More oppurtunities arise when you work.

If you want a part-time job and study for the HSC, keep it balanced and prioritise your HSC. Take time off Stuvac period.

mcbaines62

mcbaines62
HSC
N/A
I worked about 15 hours a week, except for the trials and for a month and a half before and during the exams, including working on saturdays and sundays. I ended up with 98.70. It was good to have as a distraction, and to keep me occupied so that I was in the mentality that there was always more work (and hence school work) to do. I guess it made me do better. Most guys at my school who don't have jobs did pretty crap (like, many <30). I think work gives you more balance, and more money, to have fun, a car, a life... etc.

Estefan

HSC
i worked 2 hours a night, 6 days a week all through year 11 and 12
i got 99.2. fluke

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
SamuelB said:

he got 99.4
I wouldn't pick sentence-structure bones with him

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Jonathan A said:
Don't listen to the "do-well-in-your-HSC-no-job' people. A UAI is a number, not your life. It is no where near as important as experience. Just because you have a good uai, does not put you in front of everyone else. If you have no personality, no ability to communicate with people as you do in the workplace, you have no chance in this challenging world. You may find a job, but you wont progress very far. More oppurtunities arise when you work.

If you want a part-time job and study for the HSC, keep it balanced and prioritise your HSC. Take time off Stuvac period.
Yea, that is very true.
I guess it just depends on personal preference as Idyll said. Although I think around 50% of students aged 14-17 have part-time jobs - so it is quite even.

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
SamuelB said:

Oh well grammar doesnt play much of a role in my current occupation. But either way you have no clue whether I have good grammar or not just from reading one sentence.

sarevok

HSC
yeah, if you're not going to work during year 12, make sure you have something lined up for the long break...i have plenty of friends who didn't work during yr 12 and who are now going insane because they ahve nothing to do.

zhongie

HSC
I didn't work per se, but I did help my parents out with paperwork and stuff, probably 6 hours a week. It's not too bad, and I don't really think it matters. People who have a job could be really focused, and do well, and those who don't can also just do nothing anyway, and do badly. So it really depends on the person.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Depends...maybe they wanted to pursue a career in law, in which case 4U maths would be near-useless. They may have done Ext 2 English instead.

Btw. did that person get 1st in 2U and 3U?
Perhaps not. Skills in logic will help out in absolutely any aspect of life. Except illogic and associated things.

lexy-kate

i worked all through year 12... including during the hsc.. i did one shift a week when i could squeeze one in. i even worked the night before my modern history exam.. my prime cramming time. Mind you it was my lowest mark.. but we'll ignore that. Anyway the point im trying to make is that you're not going to be studying 24/7 no matter what you say and if you have a job and you enjoy it then stick with it. My uai ended up being 97.15 which isnt as high as the rest of you genius's (or is it genii??) but working didnt affect me at all..

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Genii is the Latin plural. It is the one we should use, but the Americans have a lot of influence with their awful and awkward -us suffix for such words. E.g.: Radiuses, geniuses.

Further, genius is a word with a rather interesting etymology. Confer: genie, djinni.

What's interesting is that whilst genie and djinni both have essentially the same meaning and prononciation, they both also have very different roots: geniue comes from the indo-european root 'gene', whilst djinni comes from the semitic root 'gnn'. Perhaps, though, there is more to it than I know. There is seemingly a crossover of ideas, after all.

elisabeth

HSC
I don't see what's wrong with having a job through the HSC... not even just for money, but if you think about all those other hobbies - sport, driving, going out, going to the beach - how much time do they take up? Did all the 99.something people give that up too? Most likely not.

What's the difference between working 6hrs or playing footy and swimming for 6hrs a week? Me, I'd rather work... I'd prefer to get paid for what I do during x hours of not studying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)