For anyone who got 99+: did you have a job? (1 Viewer)

Did you have a job while you did the HSC?

• Yes

Votes: 41 40.6%
  • No

Votes: 60 59.4%

• Total voters

kate9032

Luke-warm Member
HSC
i worked all throughout yr10, 11 and 12 for about 15hrs per week. During exams or when i had heaps of assignments i took on less shifts but then made up for that in the holidays when i worked a lot. Working gave me something else to think about and a reason to get things done fast and well so i could move onto the next task. It helped my motivation and now..my bank account. If you can figure it out with your boss then it can work best for both parties and provide you with immediate work after school before uni. I didnt get 99 but 96.05 is good enough for me and im sure i wouldnt have studied more if i were at home rather then working. Tv was the killer for me.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Slide Rule said:
Genii is the Latin plural. It is the one we should use, but the Americans have a lot of influence with their awful and awkward -us suffix for such words. E.g.: Radiuses, geniuses.

Further, genius is a word with a rather interesting etymology. Confer: genie, djinni.

What's interesting is that whilst genie and djinni both have essentially the same meaning and prononciation, they both also have very different roots: geniue comes from the indo-european root 'gene', whilst djinni comes from the semitic root 'gnn'. Perhaps, though, there is more to it than I know. There is seemingly a crossover of ideas, after all.
I always thought genii was the plural of genie, and geniuses of genius...I'm most likely wrong, but it seems strange for two words to have the same plural.

Btw. getting back to topic, do you have a job Slide Rule?

Captain pi

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
I always thought genii was the plural of genie, and geniuses of genius...I'm most likely wrong, but it seems strange for two words to have the same plural.

Btw. getting back to topic, do you have a job Slide Rule?
Getting off topic, you are correct ~ ReNcH ~; the word 'genius' also means a spirit in Arabic folklore.
That is probably the etymological link.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
Captain pi said:
Getting off topic, you are correct ~ ReNcH ~; the word 'genius' also means a spirit in Arabic folklore.
That is probably the etymological link.
Ah ic.
I should read up on the origin of words - it's actually quite interesting :)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
well had a job in yr 12 :).. no regrets..
got the course i wanted.. got the right marks and got money..

cheeky_panda

HSC
i worked all during the yr, mostly 3 shifts a week, some weeks i worked 5 days. And I continued to work 2-3 shifts a week during the HSC exams. I got 99.6.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
cheeky_panda said:
i worked all during the yr, mostly 3 shifts a week, some weeks i worked 5 days. And I continued to work 2-3 shifts a week during the HSC exams. I got 99.6.
Very nice indeed.
Although how did you manage your time so well? + you must've been exhausted at the end of each day!

s0k0y0e0

HSC
My mother reckons I have to chose betweena job or competition tennis this year for my HSC, I'm not happy bout it!

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
s0k0y0e0 said:
My mother reckons I have to chose betweena job or competition tennis this year for my HSC, I'm not happy bout it!
Not happy about having to choose between the two, or not happy about having to do them during the HSC?

cheeky_panda

HSC
~ ReNcH ~ said:
Very nice indeed.
Although how did you manage your time so well? + you must've been exhausted at the end of each day!
Very true, I was exhasuted at the end of every day. But it was all balance. I worked so hard all year, and if i didn't work I think I'd go crazy (or even more crazy) from too much study!!

And btw, I didn't go to a private or selective school. Just a normal, girls and boys, catholic school.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
cheeky_panda said:
Very true, I was exhasuted at the end of every day. But it was all balance. I worked so hard all year, and if i didn't work I think I'd go crazy (or even more crazy) from too much study!!

And btw, I didn't go to a private or selective school. Just a normal, girls and boys, catholic school.
I have to admire you for that :)
There's no way I'd be able to hold down a job and study, and also stay awake in class the next day :confused:

04er

HSC
cheeky_panda said:
What subs did you have in year 12?

cheeky_panda

HSC
My subs were: English Adv, English Ext 1, English Ext 2, Legal Studies, Mathematics, Indonesian Continuers and Studies of Religion 1. In year 11 i did ext maths and business studies as well.

And yes...yes...staying awake in class was quite a challenge. 2 days a week i had to start early and two days i had to stay an extra hour, and work until 10 on nights.

But I thought this is what most people did, obviously not, but ah well its over and thank god!

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
same with me jou jou, uai wise. 94.1 :D

i know someone who worked and got 99.xx

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
With the amount of time I wasted I could have worked and got the same mark.

~ ReNcH ~

!<-- ?(°«°)? -->!
HSC
withoutaface said:
With the amount of time I wasted I could have worked and got the same mark.
That's how I felt during the Christmas holidays...now that I'm back at school, I try to use every minute I have (except when I'm on BoS of course)

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
All my friends have jobs, i totally don't want one. All the annoying customers and jam everywhere. I totally admire people who have jobs though. I get tired just doing all the normal stuff i have to do.

I do tutor some people in my neighbourhood though so i earn about $100 a week doing that. I actually enjoy it though. They think i'm so smart even though i'm not really. It gives me my ego kick for the week.

devillian

HSC
well i have a job when i was in yr 12
worked 12hrs a week but didnt work near or during exam times

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)