for those doing 10 units... (1 Viewer)

gracee09

HSC
have you been told that you are going to fail your HSC because you're only doing 10 units??

my parents are freaking, saying that i'll be too stressed and won't cope...

but i've got friends who just finished their HSC with 10 units and didn't find it that stressful...

whats your opinion??? :)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
10 units if fine - just use your extra time to study your subjects to ensure that there's no chance of screwing up in any of them :)

flightlessbird

HSC
And why exactly would 10 units mean more stress? If anything, I would assume that having 12 units is actually more stressful than 10 units, simply because you have less time to allocate to all of your subjects. I don't really believe in the whole "something to fall back on" BS. :)

kateemily

HSC
i did 10 units, plenty of my friends did and plenty of people in the grades above us did. if youre worried about stuffing up then doing and extra unit or to MAY help but in saying that u are decreasing the amount of time and energy ud spend on ur other subjects. see what works for u, if u think u can do it then drop a subject. some people dropped down to 10 units at the end of term 3 of yr12

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
i did 10 units, plenty of my friends did and plenty of people in the grades above us did. if youre worried about stuffing up then doing and extra unit or to MAY help but in saying that u are decreasing the amount of time and energy ud spend on ur other subjects. see what works for u, if u think u can do it then drop a subject. some people dropped down to 10 units at the end of term 3 of yr12
Some people did that in my school as well but it was a little too late to have a major impact on their other subs.

10 units is a good idea if you feel you are an allrounder looking for 89/90 in each sub you do and want to ensure you actually get 90+ for each of them. If you use those extra free's wisely, it could be quite useful. On the otherhand, having those frees are really relaxing on heavy days where you would otherwise be having 6 periods.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I am not a gambling man - I'd rather do 12, in my case 14 (just in case I drop EX2 and MX2) - just in case. Besides, one stupid mistake, or one illness WILL screw you up on 10 units. 12 units, less so, 14 even less... however the more units you do, the less time you have.

12-13 is a nice balance, I think.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
I am not a gambling man - I'd rather do 12, in my case 14 (just in case I drop EX2 and MX2) - just in case. Besides, one stupid mistake, or one illness WILL screw you up on 10 units. 12 units, less so, 14 even less... however the more units you do, the less time you have.

is it nice knowing that 29% of your study/classes/homework counts for nothing?
i bet its a satisfying feeling....
If you study consistently throughout the year then 'screwing up' is not possible.

HSC
Uni Grad
10 units would be infintely less stressful, I couldnt have coped with any more.

gracee09

HSC
is it nice knowing that 29% of your study/classes/homework counts for nothing?
i bet its a satisfying feeling....
If you study consistently throughout the year then 'screwing up' is not possible.
i agree....when your doing 12+ units your putting extra effort into a subject that won't mean anything...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It is possible, shuttle. There was this boy in Year 12 who was aceing Physics, got a great assessment mark - was going to get an ATAR of around 90, from what I heard from a girl in his class. However, mid-HSC Physics exam, he had a migraine. His 90+ expected dropped to 67.50, or there abouts.

Now, I know for a fact he was smart, 80 was not out of the question, rather normally expected - but his 10 units killed him in the end.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
I'm doing 10 units, and when you consider the extreme amount of extra time I'm able to put into each of my subjects, I really don't envision myself having a major 'screw-up' of any sort.

I just don't think it's possible :)

shuttle_bus5

HSC
It is possible, shuttle. There was this boy in Year 12 who was aceing Physics, got a great assessment mark - was going to get an ATAR of around 90, from what I heard from a girl in his class. However, mid-HSC Physics exam, he had a migraine. His 90+ expected dropped to 67.50, or there abouts.

Now, I know for a fact he was smart, 80 was not out of the question, rather normally expected - but his 10 units killed him in the end.

A migraine is not an excuse. Maybe he just sucked.
Nonetheless, a very rare case.
Have fun with 14 units next year but. I think that has more chance of killing you then 10.

flightlessbird

HSC
I'm doing 10 units, and when you consider the extreme amount of extra time I'm able to put into each of my subjects, I really don't envision myself having a major 'screw-up' of any sort.

Exactly.

Pyrokinetic

HSC

Thats stupid. You can start off with 12 units if you are unsure of your strengths as of yet and wait until half yearlies or something and then drop down to your best 10 that you will carry with you and focus on fro the HSC. But keeping 12 or 13 units throughout one year for the sole purpose of it being a safety net is strongly advised against.

Have some confidence in yourself and do not be lulled into the 12u > 10u myth.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You don't suck if you get a great assessment mark, but you never know, migraines and those things can pop up. I'd rather minimise risk.

And don't worry shuttle, I may be dropping to 12 soon... 14 is just in case I decide to drop MX2, EX2 or something else.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
the greatest barrier for my success is the fear of failure. once this fear gets to me, I become so disheartened, I can't concentrate, I lose motivation and i tremble in exams. Not a very good experience. For someone like me, keeping more than 10 units is better than doing only 10, because I can be reassured that stuffing one exam up doesn't matter as it may not count.
so yeah, I prefer insurance all the way! I mean if I suddenly stuffed up my Economics exam with 70% (and on 10 units), I'd be so depressed, I would start shaking during the next exam and I would lose all confidence.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC

I have those visions regularly :(

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Sorry girls and guys, I don't think I could force myself to ten. It's kind of hard when you heard personally of a guy who failed with ten units... but that's just me.

I echo ninetypercent. You go in the HSC with ten units, you go in there, and you know, just know you've screwed up and you can do nothing about it. I'd rather avoid that situation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)