For those prospective UNSW students who just got their ATARs (1 Viewer)

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
hi i want to go to UNSW just wondering where do we buy school uniforms and waht do they look like????? also waht time is lunch time

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah it's pretty stupid. They call it ice-breakers but seriously some people you talk to are awkward as fuck.
Hi, my name's Daniel and I'm studying Commerce and Advanced Maths, majoring in Finance and Applied Maths. Over the Summer break I worked errday.

Repeat for all tutes except maths because no one gives a shit who you are in maths.

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
I would be one of those people :cry:

I hope I find friends (srs)
I'm going to randomly butt into the entire conversation just to say that you shouldn't worry, because you will find friends. Most likely not on the first tutorial, of course, but you'll eventually make friends in either your lectures or tutorials. Or in societies, random introductory events, etc.

I'm one of those awkward as hell people as well (because I'm shy in front of people I don't know), but I still managed to make friends. Just plop down next to some random person that you don't know, and if you're lucky, you'll be able to strike up some sort of conversation with the person next to you. Made quite a few friends that way.

Or you can join societies, find their Facebook groups, get added into them, and start making friends that way. I've also made a few friends this way.

There's more (like BoS), but I hate going into the whole "inspirational story" speech, so I'm going to stop there and slink away now.

PS: You can start off a conversation with any UNSW student that you don't know by asking what their name is, what degree they're doing, what major they're doing or planning to do, where they came from, etc. If you really want your friendships to last and you have no way of contacting them other than meeting them in person at UNSW, I suggest getting their Facebook, email, or phone number after the first or second meeting. Sounds a tad bit creepy and stalker-ish, but this is university, where you'll probably never see them again if you don't put effort into it, so yeah. Done this with a couple of friends, still talking to them six months later.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
I'm going to randomly butt into the entire conversation just to say that you shouldn't worry, because you will find friends. Most likely not on the first tutorial, of course, but you'll eventually make friends in either your lectures or tutorials. Or in societies, random introductory events, etc.

I'm one of those awkward as hell people as well (because I'm shy in front of people I don't know), but I still managed to make friends. Just plop down next to some random person that you don't know, and if you're lucky, you'll be able to strike up some sort of conversation with the person next to you. Made quite a few friends that way.

Or you can join societies, find their Facebook groups, get added into them, and start making friends that way. I've also made a few friends this way.

There's more (like BoS), but I hate going into the whole "inspirational story" speech, so I'm going to stop there and slink away now.

PS: You can start off a conversation with any UNSW student that you don't know by asking what their name is, what degree they're doing, what major they're doing or planning to do, where they came from, etc. If you really want your friendships to last and you have no way of contacting them other than meeting them in person at UNSW, I suggest getting their Facebook, email, or phone number after the first or second meeting. Sounds a tad bit creepy and stalker-ish, but this is university, where you'll probably never see them again if you don't put effort into it, so yeah. Done this with a couple of friends, still talking to them six months later.
Thing is, I can never bring myself to sit with people I don't already know...

People think i'm stuck up because i'm sort of withdrawn around people i'm uncomfortable with (i'm only comfortable around friends). We'll see next year. Hoping for friends. Yay!

HSC
Uni Grad

People think i'm stuck up because i'm sort of withdrawn around people i'm uncomfortable with (i'm only comfortable around friends). We'll see next year. Hoping for friends. Yay!
Need to have courage and confidence in yourself :)

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Heh, speaking of that, there should be a BoS UNSW ppl meet during O-week :)
Oh, there is? I'll probably go then, if it doesn't clash with anything else I have that week.

Y'know, I hate sitting down next to people I don't know too. But if you want to make friends in university, that's what you gotta do. Think of university as a fresh start to give yourself a new image, plop down next to a random stranger, and (hopefully) let the conversation begin!

Speaking of awkward people and awkward situations, I told you that I was an awkward and shy person around strangers, right? But a few months after I started studying at UNSW, I ended up getting a job as a telephone fundraiser for a uni campaign, and spent at least 10 hours per week for one whole month calling up and chatting with random people that I didn't know! Nerve wracking, yes, and I have no idea how I survived the job, but I actually did pretty decent after the initial awkwardness and got myself a recommendation from my boss.

Like 4025808 said, all it really takes is just a smidgen of confidence. I hated calling strangers, but I persisted, got better at it, got paid, and got a recommendation. Friends bring you benefits as well (though benefits shouldn't be the main reason for making friends!), so try different methods to make friends, even if you hate some of the methods because it's not exactly you, persist at it, and you'll walk away with several friends.

(Eww, inspiring story alert. Walking away now.)

K

kimmie1406

Sorry if i am posting in the wrong section but i want to reassure this again. I was told by my Biology teacher that her brother studied Medical Science at UNSW and sat for a GAMSAT to transfer into Medicine at Perth. But when I read the updated June 2012 pdf for the graduate scheme, it said UMAT. So that means if i do study Medical science at UNSW 2013, I will be sitting for UMAT now despite the fact it is an undergraduate exam?

http://med.unsw.edu.au/sites/medici...local_upload/others/GraduateEntryStreamV5.pdf

Thanks

VJ30

HSC
i got atar of 94.85 and i have also received AAA scholarship, i want to study actuarial studies at UNSW and i am not sure whether i will get in..do i have a chance???

asadass

HSC
Uni Grad
i got atar of 94.85 and i have also received AAA scholarship, i want to study actuarial studies at UNSW and i am not sure whether i will get in..do i have a chance???
Unless the cutoff is 99.85 your entry is guaranteed

congrats!

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Now that Actuarial Studies is its own degree (as opposed to a major in Commerce), no one knows how great the demand will be

Last edited:

ali2536

HSC
Okay and some advice with regards to enrolment: as soon as you get your offer, do the enrolment process asap. Make your timetable asap otherwise all the good spots go away. First come first served, it is.

Also, make sure you have a Tax File Number (I had that problem last year) otherwise you'll have to state "pay upfront". And that process is before your timetabling, so don't leave that behind. If you don't have a TFN then go get one asap.

Those are what I discussed with spiral a few hours ago :p
How do you get you Tax file number? :)

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Now that Actuarial Studies is its own degree now (as opposed to a major in Commerce), know one knows how great the demand will be
English is not your strong point I see. Good luck getting a job mate, especially given you do mathematics.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
English is not your strong point I see. Good luck getting a job mate, especially given you do mathematics.
Please stop harassing me. If this continues I will report you to the police for cyber-bullying. This has continued for way too long.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Sorry if i am posting in the wrong section but i want to reassure this again. I was told by my Biology teacher that her brother studied Medical Science at UNSW and sat for a GAMSAT to transfer into Medicine at Perth. But when I read the updated June 2012 pdf for the graduate scheme, it said UMAT. So that means if i do study Medical science at UNSW 2013, I will be sitting for UMAT now despite the fact it is an undergraduate exam?

http://med.unsw.edu.au/sites/medici...local_upload/others/GraduateEntryStreamV5.pdf

Thanks
UNSW only has undergrad so you have to sit UMAT.

Gosh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)