Frankenstein/BladeRunner (1 Viewer)

aamyy

HSC
Do you mean i sound spiteful.. or my teacher?

4theHSC

HSC
Hmm out of the other comparative studys I've done it was alright.
Frankenstein was a book that I didnt like reading but after I finished I realised it was pretty good (I had to read Emma for Extension in Year 11 and I didnt even read it)
Blade Runner was a bit "huh?" and "why is he doing that?" for the first viewing
but I'm starting to get the hang of it.

Thats a wierd first assessment task?

Mine is an essay on:
"Similar issues, explored in different contexts, may reflect changes in values and perspectives."
How is this demonstrated in the comparison of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and Ridley Scott's Blade Runner.

Not too bad I dont think :)
what the heck!? we have the exact same question word for word

alyshaC

HSC
Wow okay so i feel like maybe my class hasnt gone into as much detail as you guys.
Our exam is on wednesday and im freaking. We have been told that the essay question will be a discussion one so i spose that helps. ill post the question after wedneyday so that people know what kinda things to expect if there sitting an exam soon.
i dont really get Blade Runner at all, whats with the origami dude??
And does anyone reckon in Blade Runner you could call Roy Batty a prodigal son???
Any notes/ general ideas about the two texts will be greatly appreciated and if i ever grasp the ideas well ill be sure to get my notes out there.
Thanks to everyone here.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Are you kidding? Bladerunner is an AMAZING movie. Especially considering it was made in the early 80's. I thought it'd be as dodgy as the first star wars movie.

Bladerunner makes you think. I love that in movies.
I can appreciate the film for what it is (I think it's incredibly well done in pretty much all aspects actually) but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I just feel really uncomfortable when watching it because of its dull lighting and sense of claustrophobia (I know all that was intentional but I just don't like the way the movie makes me feel).

i dont really get Blade Runner at all, whats with the origami dude??
And does anyone reckon in Blade Runner you could call Roy Batty a prodigal son???
"Origami dude" (Gaff) knew that Deckard was a replicant. It's a giveaway with the unicorn origami at the end.
Tyrell actually calls Roy a prodigal son at one stage. I think he says it just before Roy kills him.

X-terc

HSC
N/A
I enjoy this study a lot. Its quite interesting and it gets me thinking. I thought Frankenstein was a bit hard to get into, however once u start to hit the real thing its great, espcially in VOL 2 where you meet the monster and his POV it generates and contributes so many different values of humanity.

Blade Runner, is good, enjoyable and very "film noir" some times i find it hard hearing the dialogue i have to blast the thing on like 100 to get the quotes down. Once again, it created a new concept and meaning of "what is human?" I think the thing that stands out the most is the film techniques that the director use and symbolism my god there was like a thousand or so.

I have a task for both and some ideas ive generated:

For Frankenstein, there was a lot of Bilical Allusion from the Monster often referred to himself as "the fallen angel". I personally thought, what is the definition of evil. Who was hte true monster Frankenstein or the creature?
OH! And be sure to check out Mary Shelley's context and how this idea of her came about, I promise you you'll be hook!
Some themes:
-The Modern Prometheus (he stole the fire and gave it to the humans)
-Monstrosity
-Revenge and Retribution

Blade Runner
Ridley Scott once described Blade Runner as a “philosophical film” and moral issues certainly predominate in his confronting futuristic representation of social ills.
Some themes that should be addressed:
  1. Simulacrum (more human than human and Tyrell said, "Commerce is our goal")
  2. Science as God
  3. Redemption

a small analyse of both text:

Victor Frankenstein who acted against nature and created life, Shelley allowed the reader to see the ultimate price to pay – which is death. In Frankenstein said, “Avoid ambitious, even if it only the apparently innocent one of distinguishing in science and discoveries”. In this quote, Shelley strongly conveys the message of leaving nature “to be nature”. Experimenting and creating life is beyond the moral boundaries and it may give birth to something destructive like the “replicants” in Blade Runner. The creation of “more human than human” design has replace nature and the wonders of genetic engineering have created a ‘replicant’. The absent of life is clearly and effectively displayed in the film and is intensified between the blunt conversation between Decker and Rachel. Animals have become extinct and have been artificially coned or mechanized such as Tyrell’s owl and Zhora’s snake, “Do you like our owl” “Is it artificial?” “Of Course”.

lol sorry for my crappy contribution, my english isnt that great. heh. but keep the discussion alive i enjoy talking about this topic (rather than 50th gate *shivers*)

Last edited:

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
the modern prometheus is an allusion to the ancient Greek story of Prometheus lol.

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
oh yeah and you are supposed to study the director's cut - the voice over is removed in this

X-terc

HSC
N/A
the modern prometheus is an allusion to the ancient Greek story of Prometheus lol.

Oh cos You know how its Frankenstein, The Modern Prometheus (the subtitle refers to the Titan ‘over-reacher; of Greek mythology like you said was punished for pushing beyond permitted boundaries, similar to Frankenstein. From notes: "Shelley’s Promethian scientist has idealistic motives, “I ardently desire the acquisition of knowledge” "

I might be wrong its just an idea. =)

PantherZ

HSC
I personally thought, what is the definition of evil. Who was hte true monster Frankenstein or the creature?

something sinister like the “replicants” in Blade Runner.
So you're questioning the benignity of the 'monster' but you say the 'replicants' in BR are sinister.

What?

X-terc

HSC
N/A
Yeah I agree, but i was questioning its role in the text Frankenstein as a theme.
Looking back at the notes ive got here, it states, "the subtitle can also be read as an oxymoron, with the emphasis place on the word 'modern' given added dystopic meanace especially when it is seen comparatively with contemporary texts such as Bladerunner. Mary Shelley's story shows how cruel mankind can be when conscience is abandond. She uses allergories of creation to raise reader awreness of our moral accountability when we tamper with nature. On several levels, the monsters very existence is a condemnation of science, The classical Prometheus served humankind but Victor detaches himself from any moral obligation or responsibility of his experiement..."

Last edited:

nosh22

HSC
Sounds like this was a popular choice for Module A, and it doesn't sound too hard either. Does anyone know if any study guides have been written for Frankenstein or Blade Runner since the new syllabus was intro'd? I know "Romulus" has a few already, but that is a bit more prominent as its the AoS. Any help/suggestions appreciated...
Top notes have written a study guide. Though my english teacher believes it's missing crucial points.

roar84eighty

HSC
N/A
Looking back at the notes ive got here, it states, "the subtitle can also be read as an oxymoron, with the emphasis place on the word 'modern' given added dystopic meanace especially when it is seen comparatively with contemporary texts such as Bladerunner. Mary Shelley's story shows how cruel mankind can be when conscience is abandond. She uses allergories of creation to raise reader awreness of our moral accountability when we tamper with nature. On several levels, the monsters very existence is a condemnation of science, The classical Prometheus served humankind but Victor detaches himself from any moral obligation or responsibility of his experiement..."
Fair enough then, I agree since you have substantiated that point. By the way, where did you get these notes?

AmieElizabeth

HSC
i did AOS first, i thought it was alright, but im not really liking this texts in time moduel. My class has to make their own question based on articles we find on each text???? our teacher wants us to be 'original', but everyone seems to have the same ideas anyway. thanks for some of the notes above.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)