Frankenstein/BladeRunner (1 Viewer)

jules.09

HSC
Open book exams are generally unfair because the majority of students write up their entire essays in Size 6 Arial narrow font, and print it out on two sides of a page in order to fit the 'one page' limit set my teachers.
Wow, I never knew that happened. :\

I hate open book anyway, I don't tend to touch my book any time during the exam per se. So long as I get the gist of the argument, it should be fine.

loul

HSC
how do the paired texts studied reflect both similarities and differences in context, values and means of communication?
ooh, i got a similar question. mine is compare how the treatment of similar content in Frankenstein and Blare Runner, composed in different times and contexts, may reflect changing values and perspectives.

im thinking of doing pursuit of knowledge/ playing god, humanity, parental responsibility.
So how am I supposed to talk about changing values in these themes? I am also confused to how ur supposed to integrate contexts in ur discussion e.g. romanticism, film noir, etc.

spiz dawg

HSC
ooh, i got a similar question. mine is compare how the treatment of similar content in Frankenstein and Blare Runner, composed in different times and contexts, may reflect changing values and perspectives.

im thinking of doing pursuit of knowledge/ playing god, humanity, parental responsibility.
So how am I supposed to talk about changing values in these themes? I am also confused to how ur supposed to integrate contexts in ur discussion e.g. romanticism, film noir, etc.

well i'm probably not the best person to ask hah but i made a list of values in blade runner, which you may be able to relate to frankenstein. alot of them are merely ideas and may not be any use, but i'll let you be the judge of that :)

· What does it mean to be human?
-“emotions”-live and die
-control behaviour; not instinctive
-conscience
· Eye is recurring motif in film; window to soul.
· Test is designed to test emotions; empathy test
· Humanity gets rid of nature- technology, safeguards
· Tyrell represents capitalism on rampant, created Nexus 6 with ability to take on emotions but limited life span
· Origami- obsession with animals due to lack of them
· Artificial owl, replicant owl- humans crave animals but they destroyed them. Difficult to inhabit life as animals are dead- dying planet
· Hand is repeated motif, Roy’s hand at first similar to end when he puts nail in his hand (Jesus allusion). “Time”, makes himself live longer
· Aryan master race-blonde hair eyes; Hitler-perfect replicants
· “if only you could see what I’ve seen through your eyes”- Roy
· Pris and Zorah fight death with animal-like passion
· Zorah is shot and runs through glass; continues to get up, keeps running, like animal being hunted. Fights unlike humans, will to live won’t let her stay down. Physicality. Slow motion draws out horror. Sound effects of heart beat. Ambiguity, determines whether she’s human, heartbeat says its human with right to life. Slow motion makes her look more vulnerable and shows suffering
· Toys aren’t perfect; big nose, smash into wall, Nexus 6 are perfect.
· Tyrell in bed, creamy colours, candles. God-like presence, candles are religious
· Chess game metaphor for what JF is doing. Sacrificed queen, sacrificed himself to get king-“Tyrell”
· “the light that burns twice as bright burns half as long”-Tyrell to Roy. Replicants are perfect and more fulfilled life then humans. Justification for what he’s doing.
· Eyes popped, then to owl’s. Artificial. Through eyes of owl you see its fake.
· “I thought you were supposed to be good” mocking Deckard’s values and taunting him. Both have sides of their story making equally good
· Wolf is seen as lone and dangerous animal, Roy howls. Actual wolves are pack animals and rarely attack humans. Roy is pack animal, real wolf. Deckard is myth wolf.
· White light and dove, suddenly seems good. Dove foreshadows why he saves him
· “quite an experience to live in fear” –Roy AND Leon say this.
· “I’ve seen things you people wouldn’t believe possible... All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.”
· “it’s too bad she won’t live, but then again who dies?” –Gaff
Unicorn origami represents Gaff has been there but lets her live

sorry it doesn't really help answer your question, i'm struggling with my own ha. just use these to compare ideas of how the replicants may be more human than the humans themselves, in the way how they have a greater ability to feel and value life.
hah, sorry if i haven't been any help at all :S

loul

HSC
spiz dawg, those notes are pretty gud...(better than mine)
and i guess u do the same thing to frankenstein with the monster more humane as victor

man, i really think i'll do bad in this module. anyway good luck in ur essay :)

jraFTW

HSC
how would you guys compare human insight/experience in franko/br.

im stuck on this.

all i have are what humans strive for(love/life etc) and how the replicants and monster cant get those because of tyrell and franko.

anything else??

beve

Jesus
HSC
how would you guys compare human insight/experience in franko/br.

im stuck on this.

all i have are what humans strive for(love/life etc) and how the replicants and monster cant get those because of tyrell and franko.

anything else??
the replicants can't feel human insight experience because their lifespans are limited and all their memories are manufactured; so any "experiences" they have are essentially synthetic. the monster's experience is also synthetic because he is not accepted as a figure in society and therefore cannot have "real" feelings of insight or life experience, because, like himself, all his life experiences have to be constructed - for example, he constructs his relationship with the De Laceys at the cottage.

and so on and so forth.

FreakOut

HSC
Anyone else taking the stance in comparing the two novels that it all comes back to god's treatment of humans ?

Tyrell/Tyrell Corporation being the god in bladerunner and Victor being the god in Frankenstein.

and by god I mean it in the sense of creator of life thus then the "gods" responsiblity for that life.

swiftshift

HSC
I was reading something aloud once and when I read that quote, I read 'memories' instead of 'moments'. I think the teacher told me to reread the quote and somehow I made the exact same mistake xD We'd been doing all this stuff about memories and artificial memories so maybe that's why...
hahaha .... hahah... cant stop laughing

swiftshift

HSC
whoever wrote that question sounds bloody spiteful themselves... but i digress

both frankenstein and blade runner, to some degree; juxtapose, and subsequently challenge, what is human and what is inhuman. shelley's frankenstein begins solely from the point of view of victor (essentially. sure, theres robert walton and all, but you're only getting a one sided view of the tale regardless) and the monster is established as this inhuman thing (which, physically, he is) before he is given the chance to speak. now; the monster has the chance to speak he relates his tale and his struggles (such as his encounter with the de lacey family; who for some reason i find bloody pretentious) and his emotions on the events. in this light, the monster seems more human than his creator victor, who merely "infused the spark of life" upon the monster and then let the monster learn the ways of life through the 'school of hard knocks' so to speak. the monster's developed emotional framework shows that he has, indeed, become human - he shows the need to love, and to be loved, and to be some way accepted, hence his willing to have a female creation. such a request may even seem reasonable to the reader at this point; you could see it as a challenge to "true humanity" - whilst the monster is physically inhumane, his narration of experience warrants a human response.

this same thing is in blade runner. replicant is born. replicant learns of the ways of life. replicant develops emotions. replicant desires more of life because they have attained a sense of humanity.

i hope that my hastily written, ill-punctuated notes have helped you. i really need to stop being on the computer at 12:30 am :burn:
ur fked broo get a life firstly and wtfs up with ur name u peice of shit

hamm0ud

HSC
N/A
I hate this module sooooooooooo much! It's not because I don't like the texts, it's just that there's an unbelievably wide spectrum of perspectives you can take while comparing them, and I'm finding it hard to articulate one particular point.
I hate english to, but that's a whole different story. :spzz::spzz:

Maximus-Techie

HSC
Agreed, i hate julius Ceasar, soooo much :(

Im getting a new account, i hate that name!

Last edited:

High_Pride

HSC
What is it about Mod B that you find easy, or easier, compared to the other Modules?

HSC
the questions are just straight forward and i find that memorising quotes and stuff from speeches (which is what we're doing) is just easier i dont know really...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
the questions are just straight forward and i find that memorising quotes and stuff from speeches (which is what we're doing) is just easier i dont know really...
We're doing speeches as well.

High Pride (whoever the heck you are), what marks did you get for Speeches/Caesar essays?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)