• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Fraser was warned on Lebanese Muslims (1 Viewer)

banco55

HSC
Immigration authorities warned the Fraser government in 1976 it was accepting too many Lebanese Muslim refugees without the "required qualities" for sucessful integration.

The Fraser cabinet was also told many of the refugees were unskilled, illiterate and had questionable character and standards of personal hygiene.

Cabinet documents released today by the National Archives under the 30-year rule reveal how Australia's decision to accept thousands of Lebanese Muslims fleeing Lebanon's 1976 civil war led to a temporary collapse of normal eligibility standards.

The emergence of the documents raises the question of whether the temporary relaxation might have contributed to contemporary racial tensions in Sydney's southwest, which exploded a year ago into race-based riots in Cronulla.

Former prime minister Malcolm Fraser rejected yesterday any link and said modern Muslim youth felt alienated because governments had not done enough to help them integrate into the general community.

"I suspect the schools weren't equipped (and) I suspect the communities weren't equipped," Mr Fraser told The Australian.

But demographer Bob Birrell said the relatively depressed nature of Sydney's Muslim community could easily be linked to the lack of education and work skills of the 1970s migrants.
J
ohn Howard was accused of inflaming public hatred towards the Islamic community last February when he warned that aspects of Muslim culture posed an unprecedented challenge for Australia's immigration program.

The Prime Minister said while he remained confident the overwhelming majority of Muslims would be successfully integrated, there were unique problems that previous intakes of migrants from Europe and Asia did not have.

"I do think there is this particular complication because there is a fragment which is utterly antagonistic to our kind of society, and that is a difficulty," he told The Australian then.

"You can't find any equivalent in Italian, Greek, or Lebanese, or Chinese or Baltic immigration to Australia. There is no equivalent of raving on about jihad, but that is the major problem.

"I think some of the associated attitudes towards women (are also) a problem."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,20996448-601,00.html

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Oh, so it's not 'assilimiation' any more, it's 'integration' ... yeah, multiculturalism in Australia is little more than a myth. What we have is closer to a loose consortium of nationalities wrapped with a ribbon and we're declared to be one fo the most multi-cultural countries on earth ...

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
Oh, so it's not 'assilimiation' any more, it's 'integration' ... yeah, multiculturalism in Australia is little more than a myth. What we have is closer to a loose consortium of nationalities wrapped with a ribbon and we're declared to be one fo the most multi-cultural countries on earth ...
True that. Not a single one of my "aussie" friends and schoolmates actually showcase even traces of the basic qualities that multicultarism stands for. You're right - it is all, unfortuantely, a myth and a lie.

We're probably one of the most racist countries in the world.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
the entire notion of multicultralism is i think overrated in australia. if we were to take a stubborn argument - australia contains lebs, italians, canadians etc, meaning there are many cultures making us multicultral. that would mean all countires are multicultral
the way our politicians boast about us being so accepting is a mere attempt at improving our image in the international eye. the fact is, the vast majority of people have built within them some element of racism. take a look at ourselves, we all prefer some races over others

ZabZu

HSC
S1M0 said:
True that. Not a single one of my "aussie" friends and schoolmates actually showcase even traces of the basic qualities that multicultarism stands for. You're right - it is all, unfortuantely, a myth and a lie.

We're probably one of the most racist countries in the world.
Compared to most other western countries in the world, multiculturalism has been successful in Australia.

Prior to WW2 almost all the people living in Australia were all from anglo-celtic descent (the UK and Ireland). Then people came from all over Europe, especially Italy and Greece. Yes they did experience racism at first but most of the migrants who came during the 50s and 60s assimilated and proudly call themselves aussies.

We have hit a rock in the road lately with migrants from the middle east and asia but the situation in Australia is no where near as bad as it is in western Europe. The United Kingdom has an enormous problem with home grown terrorism. France has thousands of people of African-Arab origin living in subsidised housing and they feel they are discriminated against because of their appearance and names.

Last edited:

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
ZabZu said:
Compared to most other western countries in the world, multiculturalism has been successful in Australia.

Prior to WW2 almost all the people living in Australia were all from anglo-celtic descent (the UK and Ireland). Then people came from all over Europe, especially Italy and Greece. Yes they did experience racism at first but most of the migrants who came during the 50s and 60s assimilated and proudly call themselves aussies.

We have hit a rock in the road lately with migrants from the middle east and asia but the situation in Australia is no where near as bad as it is in western Europe. The United Kingdom has an enormous problem with home grown terrorism. France has thousands of people of African-Arab origin living in subsidised housing and they feel they are discriminated against because of their appearance and names.

But isnt it that to assimilate - means to abandon your heritage? People from the middle east and asia are proud of their country, and proud of their heritage and culture. They do embrace many of the positive aspects of Australian culture and life but they still do embrace their heritage. Many greeks/italians themselves have no idea how to even speak Greek/Italian. They have unfortunately abandoned the positive aspects of their culture.

Besides, the whole concept of Assimilation, in my opinion is a notion greatly influenced by racism to which is fueled by fear by Anglo-Saxon "aussies". They find it uncomfortable when people speak arabic, chinese, greek, italian, croatian, etc based on unfounded fears.

Aryanbeauty

HSC
The Fraser cabinet was also told many of the refugees were unskilled, illiterate and had questionable character and standards of personal hygiene.
ugh
"I do think there is this particular complication because there is a fragment which is utterly antagonistic to our kind of society, and that is a difficulty," he told The Australian then.

"You can't find any equivalent in Italian, Greek, or Lebanese, or Chinese or Baltic immigration to Australia. There is no equivalent of raving on about jihad, but that is the major problem.
From the original article http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20996027-2,00.html
Whereas earlier Lebanese intakes had involved an even split of Christians and Muslims, the submission said 90 per cent of the migrants were Muslims and that a high percentage were illiterate and unskilled.
Dr Birrell, who heads Monash University's Centre for Population and Urban Research, said a study last year had shown Lebanese Muslims in southwest Sydney were less well-off economically than Lebanese Christians.
The whole truth, nothing but the truth i've been saying all along has just been repeated by this article!

zeek

HSC
What is the point of even releasing this article? It was relevant almost 30 years ago, and i don't see how it can be applied today.

Close thread please. :)

Peter Garrett

HSC
N/A
zeek said:
What is the point of even releasing this article? It was relevant almost 30 years ago, and i don't see how it can be applied today.

Close thread please. :)
The general point is that cabinet documents are released after 30 years, and this rule provides an important and necessary means of review and analysis (be it by political scientists or historians). The particular point in this case escapes me, especially when it does nothing but add fuel to the disruptive fires that are already fanned by fools such as Aryanbeauty.

*Minka*

HSC
True - some of the 'Real Aussies' are school were amoung the most racist people I have come across. Some of the stuff they said was worse than I heard back in Croatia during the war about other ethnic groups. That said, there are also some very great and accepting people here. I guess you get all kinds regardless of where you go.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
So let's recap on why Australia is the most racist nation on earth:

- 3rd generation Australians of Mediterranean background may or may not know their grandparents' language which they may or may not ever use.

- Schoolchildren say horrible things

Apartheid or religious police can't compete with this.

Edit: Oh and we're so horrible we let the Lebs in even though we knew before hand what was going to happen. And apparently "Australia is the second-largest welcomer of people in need of re-settlement in the world according to the United Nations."

Last edited:

ZabZu

HSC
Optophobia said:
Even if Johnny did believe this (as opposed to simply saying it to win votes).. What's he going to do about it? Who is in a better position to change things than him? But no, he'll never change anything. What does he suggest be done to take on this "challenge"? The challenge of these troublesome Muslims? He offers no solutions. He's simply point scoring.
One Muslim community leader said that when Howard isnt doing too well in the polls, due to opposition to WorkChoices or something, he always criticises the Muslim community to help his popularity.

Howard has been much more outspoken regarding Muslims than he should have been.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
He is a populist, go figure. However he proclaimed Islam a great religion for some reason when it is clear that it along with Christianity is one of the most ridiculous ideologies someone has ever made.

onebytwo

Recession '08
HSC
ihavenothing said:
He is a populist, go figure. However he proclaimed Islam a great religion for some reason when it is clear that it along with Christianity is one of the most ridiculous ideologies someone has ever made.
wow, you really do have nothing

HSC
"I think some of the associated attitudes towards women (are also) a problem."

There is so many generalisations in that article that its just not funny. Lets take for instance the quote above... Why is there this 'attitude that lebanese muslim men treat women like shit!! If anything, i get around the lebanese community quite a bit and the female gets what she wants when she wants. If anything the female wife/daughter drive around with nice cars whilst the husband/son work all day long making a living to make their family prosper. Also whilst your over say any visitors house and if your wide awake you sought of get a feel for whose running the house or who has a large say in what happens through various non related discussion and i tell you what, lebanese females are faaaaaaaaaaaar from being miss treated... if anything there treated higher then average standards as the female in general (not absolutely every case) literally gets a car without having to work for it and etc etc(i just like cars thats why i continuously refer to them just as an example). Then you may have these various ideas particularly to do with the dress code and how muslim females dress and counld it be that muslim men force them to dress in that manner?. But as S1MO has previously suggested, these lebanese/muslims have every right to dress in there traditional ways simular to there background countries. And in GENERAL, throughout lebanon (muslim areas in particular not the westernised beirut etc etc) it is seen as rude to dress in say the typical short skirt or bikini etc etc. Not to say that these people in Australia are against that type of clothing but put simply they wont do it for various reasons either traditional or religous (ill let you think of these reasons) which they have every right to... or do they?

AND please can the moderator put a lid on ARYAN BEAUTY because for once i dont want to have this muslim/arab/lebanese hating muel continuously ascerting his hatred in all discussions--- And for those who dont know what im talking about just read his posts... all of them

Aryanbeauty

HSC
54247 said:
If anything the female wife/daughter drive around with nice cars whilst the husband/son work all day long making a living to make their family prosper. Also whilst your over say any visitors house and if your wide awake you sought of get a feel for whose running the house or who has a large say in what happens through various non related discussion and i tell you what, lebanese females are faaaaaaaaaaaar from being miss treated...
It did not say how lebanese Women are treated, it refers to lebanese people's (YES men and women's) attitude towards women be it men or not. Muslims men (leb or not)in general does not treat women equal to men and wives are considered a commodity in muslims society that is why the religion itself allows polygamy. It is common for old arab men to marry underage or barely legal girls as their 4th,5th,6th,100th wives in the mid-east.

Many muslim women simply do not know their rights, and instead of going to police if her husband attacks her, she will suffer for the rest of her life for the sake of saving face and other reasons such as family honour. Women are NOT innocent victims here either. Muslim women said the gangrape victim deserves it without knowing that the victim was their brother's (or son's) girlfriend and present when she said.http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20720559-2,00.html That is their general attitude towards their fellow women.

AND please can the moderator put a lid on ARYAN BEAUTY because for once i dont want to have this muslim/arab/lebanese hating muel continuously ascerting his hatred in all discussions--- And for those who dont know what im talking about just read his posts... all of them
You are pathetic. If you are soo scared of hearing uncensored absolute truth from me about your religion/country/people/society why don't you hide your head in the sand?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
S1M0 said:
But isnt it that to assimilate - means to abandon your heritage? People from the middle east and asia are proud of their country, and proud of their heritage and culture. They do embrace many of the positive aspects of Australian culture and life but they still do embrace their heritage. Many greeks/italians themselves have no idea how to even speak Greek/Italian. They have unfortunately abandoned the positive aspects of their culture.

Besides, the whole concept of Assimilation, in my opinion is a notion greatly influenced by racism to which is fueled by fear by Anglo-Saxon "aussies". They find it uncomfortable when people speak arabic, chinese, greek, italian, croatian, etc based on unfounded fears.
The notion of assimilation is that if you come here you should have a respect for democracy, a respect for Australian laws, and above all a general sense of courtesy towards everyone else. Good examples of where this has worked are in the Italian and Greek communities, where their crime rates are no higher or lower than the rest of Australia, but they still manage to keep a great degree of their own heritage (e.g. just take a walk down Norton St). But when you have a community such as the Lebanase community with two times the number of rapists per capita, or the Vietnamese community with similar figures for drug convictions (I'll try to dig up the article that had these stats if you wish), you have a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)