Friends and other shiz (1 Viewer)

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
So how's the friend making process going for you guys? I haven't made any new "friends" :( It's not hard to talk to new people but it's hard to talk to them frequently outside of class. I end up hanging around friends I met before uni.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Same here, I find it difficulty to find news friends in uni, although forming acquaintanceship is easy. I'm still hanging out with the people before I met uni also, I hope I can make more. But yeah I haven't attended any societies/clubs yet or any tutorials so I hope they will assist me.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Same here, I find it difficulty to find news friends in uni, although forming acquaintanceship is easy. I'm still hanging out with the people before I met uni also, I hope I can make more. But yeah I haven't attended any societies/clubs yet or any tutorials so I hope they will assist me.
Tutorials are generally easier to make friends in compared to lectures.

Smoke Eater

HSC
N/A
i don't have any friends, i've never had a friend so i can relate kinda.

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
Just say hi to people closest to you. If they smile and seem receptive, engage in small talk and ask them what they have next. You're most likely going to just end up making acquaintances in lectures unless they have another class with you later on in the day. Try harder in tutes(lol) since you're going to see them more often.

Last edited:

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm pretty bad at friend-making, so it's not any different for the first week of uni. I met a guy with similar music taste at O-week but I haven't seen him since then, and it's not helping that we don't share units of study. Right now the only people I'm really friends with are people I knew from school who I'll probably run into by chance.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
just follow people out in lectures

but once you have enough friends to get adequate resources, making friends is bad for your studies

M

MichelleV

I just went and sat next to people in my tutes and lectures and just said Hi. And if they seemed nice enough, asked them what major their doing and if they've done the homework or studied or whatever. I'm doing Accounting in the evening, and its amazing how many other people I've spoken to are doing accounting and working during the day like me :p

Hehe :)

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
just talk to people around you in lectures and tutorials and you should be fine lol

get conversation going, add on fb easy

D94

HSC
N/A
Easy to make friends with friends of your closer (high school) friends.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Participating in clubs and societies is also a good way to meet new people. You're conversing with people with the same interests, so striking up a conversation shouldn't be too hard.

izzy88

HSC
Participating in clubs and societies is also a good way to meet new people. You're conversing with people with the same interests, so striking up a conversation shouldn't be too hard.
agreed. I made lots of friends from joining a couple of societies.

Also, if you have a class before lunch, strike up a conversation with a person (or tag along with a group of people) and just ask what they are doing for lunch - then ask to join them. That way you aren't left lonely at lunch time, you get to talk to people outside of class, and you may meet some more people through them.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I just went and sat next to people in my tutes and lectures and just said Hi. And if they seemed nice enough, asked them what major their doing and if they've done the homework or studied or whatever. I'm doing Accounting in the evening, and its amazing how many other people I've spoken to are doing accounting and working during the day like me :p

Hehe :)
Umm... Michelle.

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
I had a shitty first year because of the friend issue et al. Honestly, 90% of the people you meet at uni will be acquintances. The rest 10% you may call 'friend' for some length of time (e.g. for the duration of the semester). Probably 5% of that will be true friends, if you're lucky.

Some people claims they have a lot of friends at uni, I think most of them just have a generous definition of 'friend'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)