Fucking Centrelink Wankers (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
well I don't think we should begrudge people who need a disability pension to get by because they can't work (or can't work enough), if they don't 'pay back' their debt to society. It's a little different from a lazy dole bludger...
one could argue that they're a burden on their carers, i.e. their families. if they receive disability payments, then their family can have more flexibility in their own workinglives

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
stazi said:
one could argue that they're a burden on their carers, i.e. their families. if they receive disability payments, then their family can have more flexibility in their own workinglives
Would that be a bad thing, though?

I think the people who would argue that as a case against a disability pension are people who have clearly never known anyone with a disability.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I don't actually advocate cutting disability pensions, but feel like playing devil's advocate anyway, so here we go.

The market for private charity is huge, and in the US alone something like $270b a year is donated. I don't think it's controversial to say that this would increase substantially if taxes were cut by a large amount (as they would be if the welfare state were stripped back). Additionally, private enterprise has almost without exception been better at allocating resources in other sectors of the economy than the respective government departments, and so it's not too much of a stretch to postulate that a private charity would be better able to provide for the most needy, while weeding out the cheats, than the current system. On top of this, if a private charity were revealed to have a large amount of people who probably don't need charity, or who could find a job fairly easily, leeching off it, donors would be much more likely to forsake that charity and instead donate their money to others.

The final benefit is that voluntary donations are ALWAYS preferable to forcibly extracted ones, and the latter describes the current system because it is based on taxation.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Private charity already reduces taxes, as you can claim donations to reduce your taxable income

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
That'd work if donations to charity reduced your tax by the same amount you donated, but they only reduce your taxable income, and as such you might only get 30% of the total value of the donation off your taxes at years end.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
Personally I dont think charitable donations should be tax deductable. Alot of charities are horribly inefficient and have questionable objectives that probably shouldn't be subsidised.
This seems to call for changing the requirements for charity - tax exempt status more than just throwing out the whole idea.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
lori they back pay you from when you first called them.

i only just got my money today but they're paying me from the 8th of sept, which is when i first made the phonecall to get the forms sent to me.

hang in there, they're fucking dipshit burocratic nightmare mothercunt fuckers but if you're eligibe, you'll get there.

i just went into the office in bathurst on a day off and didnt leave until they located my claim and went through it with me.

you have to babysit them, so just do it.

(they're still fucking up with my rent assistance though, how many times could my forms be "lost in the mail" ?)

long story short, i hear you sister.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)