Future Plans: What ATAR/course/job are you aiming for? (1 Viewer)

What ATAR are you aiming for?

• Total voters

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Re: UNI Course?

Astrophysics or Biotechnology.

Mya M

HSC
Re: What UAI/course are you aiming for?

Im trying for law in crime and family

HSC
Who else is aiming high for next year?

The way I see it, if you decide to make a goal for your UAI, you can either aim around where you think is possible (90+ maybe? depends on the individual) or you can aim way above what you think you could possibly achieve. That is, aim for the best: aim for 100 UAI.

And I reckon, it's not impossible, not at all- it's an entire year away and 21 people get it each year or something, right? Much bigger chance than say, of winning the lottery- and this is something not based on pure dumb luck but solely on what you want to put in.

So that's what I'm doing; I'm aiming for 100. I figured, I won't exactly be disappointed if I "fail" my goal and get 98.5 or something: and by putting in the effort to try reach 100 I'll probably get higher than I would have otherwise got, anyway.

To keep myself motivated I started a blog to record my progress so I won't slack off in a few months :) Making goals public is a good motivator, right?

So who agrees with me, who doesn't, and who thinks I'm crazy for even trying?

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Re: Who else is aiming high for next year?

Who wouldn't aim high? Of course everyone will be trying their best.

selablad

HSC

I guess I will, but I just don't have the same motivation to succeed that I used to in earlier years. My dad has just realised that and is now doing everything he can to find out how to keep me motivated and all. He's even meeting with the careers counsellor next Friday to discuss my future. Which is good, because I get to get out of PE for the meeting, but I digress.

But good on you for aiming high :D I agree, making goals public is the best way of succeeding (but you'll be totally cut in front of everyone if you fail! not to discourage you or anything...)

This is weird, posting after not doing it for ages...there's a little box up the top telling me to ask a question or help a student in need....you're in need, right?? I'm helping?? Okay not really. But still...

bored of sc

HSC

I'll be aiming high but achieving low.

Pink Oni

HSC

I think your blog might actually encourage others to aim high as well. Maybe.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Hi, Elisa!!! I am thinking of doing cosmology too!!!! I hope to see you there if opportunity allows it.

I am aiming high as well but my aim is not specifically based on UAI. My aim is basically based on each subject. I really wish to come first in the state for any of my subject and I believe that I absolutely have that potential to do so (especially in 2 unit maths, business studies, biology). Coming first in the state or coming top 10 or whatever in the state will be highly pleasing.

Good luck to everyone in their HSC journey and hope that you attain your goals!!!

shaon0

HSC

I am aiming for a UAI that i will be able to get with not an amazing amount of work ie. >4 hours study/day. If i choose to aim higher then i might be able to get 99 but thats highly unlikely and will most likely take a few flukes to get.
But good on you for aiming for a UAI of 100. Good luck if you get it :)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

I'll be aiming to do my best. Which I doubt is a 100UAI.

Last edited:

eliseliselise

HSC

according to the front of some random ameb sheet music book, "to play great music, one must keep their eye on a distant star". & i think that can be translated into the arena of academia.

i commend u on ur laudible efforts in maintaining a blog to track ur progress etc... & i'm astounded at your consistency in regard to Capital Letters & dearth of acronyms [lol!], contractions and abbreviations. my blogs just end up being some kind of tortured recount of the mundane woes of life, written in hypnotic prose with the odd random picture of an endangered plant species.

mm yeah i'd be really disappointed with anything less than 97, & aiming for 98.50+. yep yep.

oh & you're not crazy... at all.. possibly ambitious, but im in a motivational/life-changing kinda mood- so here's a quote for u....

"Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them; disagree with them; glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."- Jack Kerouac

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC

I'm going to try for a 100 (with the limited work time of 15 hours per week). This'll probably involve:
Maintainin Maths and Maths Ext. marks
Uppin the Physics marks
Maintainin the Modern marks
Uppin the English marks
Droppin Economics

Grrr. Economics. Earlier today, it took all of my restraint not to jump across the table and rip out her throat with my bare teeth. I would have received a standing ovation from my class. Grrr.

HSC

selablad said:
I guess I will, but I just don't have the same motivation to succeed that I used to in earlier years. My dad has just realised that and is now doing everything he can to find out how to keep me motivated and all. He's even meeting with the careers counsellor next Friday to discuss my future. Which is good, because I get to get out of PE for the meeting, but I digress.

This is weird, posting after not doing it for ages...there's a little box up the top telling me to ask a question or help a student in need....you're in need, right?? I'm helping?? Okay not really. But still...
Haha, that's nice of your dad to take an interest ;) I'm sort of the opposite with the motivation-thing- I wasn't really motivated at all in year 7, year 8- but I'm really excited to start year 12 because it feels like it actually "counts", you know? ... and I am in need, thanks for posting ;) I usually don't post stuff either particularly often, I'm a lurker, but it's fun to get involved once in a while :D

selablad said:
But good on you for aiming high :D I agree, making goals public is the best way of succeeding (but you'll be totally cut in front of everyone if you fail! not to discourage you or anything...)
That's sort of what I'm afraid of :uhoh: failing after making goals public would suck. i'm not completely sure of myself, so it's really scary to try. Then again I'd like to have a go, I mean failing would make me embarrassed but wouldn't really have any further repercussions beyond that, right? It's not like I'll lose a limb or something. hopefully. :D

HSC

lyounamu said:
Hi, Elisa!!! I am thinking of doing cosmology too!!!! I hope to see you there if opportunity allows it.

I am aiming high as well but my aim is not specifically based on UAI. My aim is basically based on each subject. I really wish to come first in the state for any of my subject and I believe that I absolutely have that potential to do so (especially in 2 unit maths, business studies, biology). Coming first in the state or coming top 10 or whatever in the state will be highly pleasing.

Good luck to everyone in their HSC journey and hope that you attain your goals!!!
That's awesome, I haven't met anyone else doing cosmology! Do you know when they're going to post the 2009 info on the BOS website?? I've been checking but they've only got the 2008 info up there (posted around this time last year). They ARE running it this year, right? :uhoh:

Coming first in state would be really cool :uhhuh: Good luck! I thought about taking some obscure language continuers, like swedish, which i'm already fluent in, because only like 7 people do it-- but that would be boring, I'd rather learn something new. I'll find some other way to get recognition :D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Elisa.the.Sweda said:
That's awesome, I haven't met anyone else doing cosmology! Do you know when they're going to post the 2009 info on the BOS website?? I've been checking but they've only got the 2008 info up there (posted around this time last year). They ARE running it this year, right? :uhoh:

Coming first in state would be really cool :uhhuh: Good luck! I thought about taking some obscure language continuers, like swedish, which i'm already fluent in, because only like 7 people do it-- but that would be boring, I'd rather learn something new. I'll find some other way to get recognition :D
I don't think the 2009 thing-y started yet. I will have to complete my HSC first anyway to apply. I guess the info will probably come when the HSC time comes around. Sorry for lack of info.

HSC

eliseliselise said:
according to the front of some random ameb sheet music book, "to play great music, one must keep their eye on a distant star". & i think that can be translated into the arena of academia.

i commend u on ur laudible efforts in maintaining a blog to track ur progress etc... & i'm astounded at your consistency in regard to Capital Letters & dearth of acronyms [lol!], contractions and abbreviations. my blogs just end up being some kind of tortured recount of the mundane woes of life, written in hypnotic prose with the odd random picture of an endangered plant species.

mm yeah i'd be really disappointed with anything less than 97, & aiming for 98.50+. yep yep.

oh & you're not crazy... at all.. possibly ambitious, but im in a motivational/life-changing kinda mood- so here's a quote for u....

"Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them; disagree with them; glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."- Jack Kerouac
Thanks Elise!!
I've heard a variation of the star quote before, I like it: "You are the captain of your own ship, but you can't control the weather. Sometimes life brings us smooth sailing; other times we get squalls, hurricanes, and tsunamis. Leonardo [da vinci] conselled, 'He who fixes his course to a star changes not.' Fix your course to a star, and be ready to navigate through storms and around uncharted icebergs." --Michael Gelb
The best improvisers don't just 'wing it', they start with a well-made plan and then adapt it, gracefully, to changing circumstances... :)

Haha, I want to see your blog, with its tortured recounts of life! ;) I'll go find it as soon as I've written this. If you've linked to it somewhere. Seriously, my punctuation thing is a weird obsession of mine-- I like spelling things right, and the punctuation being all correct just comes from habit as I type. I assure you I don't go through it afterwards and dot my i's-- I'm not that meticulous :p

Thanks for the quote, I shall save it. (I'm often in that 'motivational' sort of mood, too, don't worry ;))

HSC

lyounamu said:
I don't think the 2009 thing-y started yet. I will have to complete my HSC first anyway to apply. I guess the info will probably come when the HSC time comes around. Sorry for lack of info.
No worries, I didn't expect you to know the inner workings of the BOS, but you seem pretty knowledgeable :rolleyes:.. But it is a one-year course, right, so shouldn't it start next term? I'm so confused...

Although now that I think about it the info-evening is sometime in November. So it probably starts next February.

I am so excited about it!! We get to go to observatories! Haha, I can't wait. It'll be tough though; hopefully I'll be able to manage :cool: (but worrying before it even starts seems pretty useless, so I'm not going to worry :D)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

I think pretty much most people will be aiming high. :p
Elisa - what school do you go to?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)