Gaining Weight (1 Viewer)

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
okay protein shaeks , but what do u mean by fast acting carbohydrate foods... like?????

Seraph

HSC
N/A
alright yea i made a good shake after the workouts

anyway, im getting a bit of a pot belly, fat depositing around that area, is this normal??? i eat a bit of junk food weekly but i try to keep it to a minimum......

Furthermore should i try and cut some of this fat around my stomach area? or is this how bulking is?? , ive only really started this, (bout 2 or 3 weeks in)... Like when do you know when you are optimum weight?

im around 84-85 kg , and im pretty sure ive been around this area i think before i was 82-83kg so i gained a bit of weight

MeehShanku

MeehShankU
HSC
Seraph said:
alright yea i made a good shake after the workouts

anyway, im getting a bit of a pot belly, fat depositing around that area, is this normal??? i eat a bit of junk food weekly but i try to keep it to a minimum......

Furthermore should i try and cut some of this fat around my stomach area? or is this how bulking is?? , ive only really started this, (bout 2 or 3 weeks in)... Like when do you know when you are optimum weight?

im around 84-85 kg , and im pretty sure ive been around this area i think before i was 82-83kg so i gained a bit of weight
Ur optimum weight should be in between the Body Mass Index (BMI) 20-25. What u do is take ur weight n divide it by how tall u r in metres squared.

EG: if u wight 60kgs n ur height is 1.7metres than u calculate like :

60/(1.7)^2 = 20.76 therefore healthy in range of 20-25

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
melbournian said:
When do you know your optimum weight....well when you look in the mirror and you realise that that is the size you want to be. :D
That or you will never be satisfied, because your craving for a different weight has incouraged the growth of a mental disorder, like anorexia. Then you will never look in the mirror and be satisfied. Unless you seek help :D Have fun!

MuffinMan

Juno 15/4/08 :)
HSC
theyre like only 15 bucks at wollies
i recommend u get digital ones
they are much more accurate :)

Collin

HSC
N/A
melbournian: Good job mate.

Seraph: Basically sugar foods. Now that's not to say you should go off and eat a ton of confectionary. Something like a banana smoothy or perhaps a sports drink would do. But make sure you consume some amount of fast-acting carbohydrates, your body needs a insulin spike to buffer against the rise of catabolic agents resulting from a workout.
As for fat gains, everyone on a big bulk should be gaining a bit of body fat. When you're bulking, you're on a caloric excess (to induce hypertrophy), hence you're bound to gain some weight. But the cleaner and more refined your bulking diet, the less the body fat gains. I think melbournian has gained hardly any body fat because his bulking diet is so refined.

MeehShanku: BMI is a somewhat irrelevant concept when dealing muscle hypertrophy in males. Apparently I'm overweight on the BMI scale :rolleyes:

MeehShanku

MeehShankU
HSC
JKDDragon said:
melbournian: Good job mate.

Seraph: Basically sugar foods. Now that's not to say you should go off and eat a ton of confectionary. Something like a banana smoothy or perhaps a sports drink would do. But make sure you consume some amount of fast-acting carbohydrates, your body needs a insulin spike to buffer against the rise of catabolic agents resulting from a workout.
As for fat gains, everyone on a big bulk should be gaining a bit of body fat. When you're bulking, you're on a caloric excess (to induce hypertrophy), hence you're bound to gain some weight. But the cleaner and more refined your bulking diet, the less the body fat gains. I think melbournian has gained hardly any body fat because his bulking diet is so refined.

MeehShanku: BMI is a somewhat irrelevant concept when dealing muscle hypertrophy in males. Apparently I'm overweight on the BMI scale :rolleyes:
well seraph wanted to no his optium weight n i just reckon its a good indicator. Of course it has its exceptions, but that must probably mean ur pretty muscly

Collin

HSC
N/A
MeehShanku said:
well seraph wanted to no his optium weight n i just reckon its a good indicator. Of course it has its exceptions, but that must probably mean ur pretty muscly
That's just the thing. The whole notion of 'optimum weight' becomes somewhat redundant when muscle building is brought into the equation. He could be a beefy 90kg or a lean 75kg and both circumstances could imply him as being in an equally physiologically healthy weight (something which BMI supposedly also tries to achieve here). Hence BMI loses alot of relevance here.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Something like a banana smoothy
Definitley do not have a banana post-workout. You dont want to be consuming fructose after you train.

Stick to dextrose, maltodextrin, whey and sodium.

disco

HSC
HSC_sUcKsSsS said:
As opposed to the losing weight thread how do u gain weight
Im only 55kg help!
u wanna gain weight, y?? :confused:

try being a bum, just sit around and eat...dont do any form of excerise wat-so-ever!!

bootylicious

HSC
HSC_sUcKsSsS said:
As opposed to the losing weight thread how do u gain weight
Im only 55kg help!
how tall r u?? if ur tall then u shud gain weight coz 55kg is unhealthy. but if ur shorter than tall then u shudn't worry.

but if u wanna gain weight, i dunno try eating more carb foods <-- breads, pasta, cereals, rice

shady_03

Sue me....
HSC
eating junkfood isnt the easy way out - if u got a fast metabolism then u dont gain weight ne way and ur cholesterol just skyrockets

somborac

HSC
the best way to gain weight is to eat lots of protein before and after a hard workout. Protein helps u build muscle. and dont eat that powder crap protein but real natural protein i.e. white egg yolk (dont eat yellow stuff that full off fat). eat it raw, u can also add banna or some suger so it tastes better, miux it and turn it into a protein shake. i think 55 kg for a 170cm tall guy is a bit skinny. u can also eat fatty foods and lots of carbohydrates to help u gain weight. but this would gain u fat not muscle.

cheers.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
ive gone from very underweight to...pretty underweight
49.8kg a month ago to 53-55kg (fluctuates) now.
I've asked hscsucks to msn me, if anyone wishes to know good weight gain tactics, reply to this.

Oh and im 178cm

stazi

Nightman
HSC
bootylicious said:
how tall r u?? if ur tall then u shud gain weight coz 55kg is unhealthy. but if ur shorter than tall then u shudn't worry.

but if u wanna gain weight, i dunno try eating more carb foods <-- breads, pasta, cereals, rice
it's not necessarily unhealthy. he like me may have a very fast metabolism and an ectomorphic body time. I am relatively healthy, but done weigh much. As he said, he's 170.
Oh and if youre more worried about having a nicer body and not looking feeble, then well...ill explain all on msn :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Ok, screw it. I'll type up my suggestions.
Background on me.
1) I have gone from fluctuations of 48-50kg to fluctuations between 53-55kg (based on day and how much ive eaten) - a 10% increase! in a month or around that.
2) I have an ectomorphic body. My rib cage is fairly visible. Prior to this I had virtually no muscle and a fairly unhealthy diet (junk food, sugars etc). My metabolism is very very fast.
3) my height is 178 - so im very underweight

Now, a lot of suggestions you will read focus on endomorphs (people with a larger structure). Ectomorphs are much rarer and you will scratch your head wondering why you havent gained any weight. Diets needed for gaining weight vary between people, and most plans aren't for "us".

First let me dispell the myths:
1) If you eat lots of fast food, you will gain weight fast. FALSE. Those with fast metabolisms won't be able to utilise the food. There's lots of energy, with little nutritional value. It's a fast way to gain Cardiovascular disease and not weight.
2) Lots of heavy weights at the gym will make you be really huge. FALSE. A lot of weights at the gym aren't that beneficial to ectomorphic body types. Free weights are excellent especially at the early stages. A set of dumbells is really good for you (more on this later). You don't have to go anywhere, and can work it 5-6 times a week no problem.
3) Eat all the time. FALSE AND TRUE. Depends what you eat. Whilst constant eating probably isn't that great for you, the body needs time to absorb nutrients, and occasionally make it hungry can be good for you, eating a lot more then usual is important.

I will continue this later if people want me to. Too tired right now :)

Also a hint on a cheap, really good food for weight gain if exercising (and if not):
TUNA! It has 20g or around that of protein per tin, and little to no saturated fat. Quick, easy. Perfect!

Seraph

HSC
N/A
With just a set of dumbells???

o_O well you'd have to keep changing them to get higher weights, isnt it more effective to go to the gym

although.........

i wonder, if i was only going to the gym say 2 days a week, it could be benefiical to do such weights at home as well...

oh and say.. that protein shake is after your workout right? definetly not before?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)