Gaining Weight (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
melbournian said:
A lot of mistakes here too

heavy weights is really the only way to promote hypertrophy. Irrespective of bodyweight.

Working out 5-6 times a weel. (I am assuming that there is no cardio in it), will lead to overtraining. You should get away with 5 days if you split it up right. Mind you I do atleast 10 workouits a week now, but I'm cutting atm so 6 of those are cardio.

And an ectamorpheis not oging to get bigger without eating A LOT. However, this doesn't mean a lot in one sitting, but lots of sittings.
yes i hadnt finished. it is best to do smaller meals and lots of them.
I think 5-6 times a week is important
3/4 weights
1/2 cardio or light weights or even stretching/pushups/situps.

Collin

HSC
N/A
somborac said:
and dont eat that powder crap protein but real natural protein
Would of been A+ for comedic value if you then made the assertion that you had some sort of degree in nutrition & dietetics.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Seraph said:
With just a set of dumbells???

o_O well you'd have to keep changing them to get higher weights, isnt it more effective to go to the gym

although.........

i wonder, if i was only going to the gym say 2 days a week, it could be benefiical to do such weights at home as well...

oh and say.. that protein shake is after your workout right? definetly not before?
Well if you have time to go to the gym: yes, go there. I on the other hand have none.
A 1hr hour dumbell session works for me. I've got an interchangeable 20kg set.

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
cardio while bulking?? i mean sure maybe for warmup but otherwise??? doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose

actually do u guys do cardio when warming up ? (if you are bulking...)

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Seraph said:
cardio while bulking?? i mean sure maybe for warmup but otherwise??? doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose
cardio won't gain you weight but its good to sometimes break up the rhythm of your exercise routine by going for a 10 minute light jog once a week followed by some stretching. You won't lose many kJ from this especially if youre eating right.

EDIT: Oh and i dont do cardio much before weights training.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Seraph said:
actually do u guys do cardio when warming up ? (if you are bulking...)
Sometimes a 5 min jog at 60% of my MHR.. which is basically fast walking to very light jogging.

Seraph I don't know what you're trying to do here but if it's bulking up then 2 days at the gym generally doesn't suffice.

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
wellllllll

its better than nothing isnt it?

Collin

HSC
N/A
It is, but I was just educating you incase you were oblivious to this and thought that 2 days a week could make you big.

When I first started working out, I just stayed home with my dumbell set and gym ball. I got some mass, but in the end I needed the functionality and features of a gym to get where I'am now. I mean, if I suddenly couldn't have the means to do dumbell presses, chinups, pullups, deadlifts, squats etc. which generally requires a gym (unless you've also got a bench/ball at home, squat rack, pullup bar etc.), I'd be screwed.

Oh, and I hope you're watching your eating plans.

DJ_Cam

Insecure Teen
HSC
N/A
Heavy cardio on a bulk isn't advised, since this will burn calories, and a calorie excess is necessary to induce hypertrophy. Doing some light warmup on an elliptical trainer or bike 5-10 minutes before you hit the weights is good though, as lifting heavy weights 'cold' could lead to injuries.

Dont listen to Somborac either. He's a fucking gronk. Whey Protein is fully natural and an excellent supplement to a bulking diet, because it contains fast acting protein and simply saves time for people going to work, uni etc. You'd be better off with some anyway, since after a workout you need fast acting protein and high GI carbs to promote the insulin spike.

Also, the body uses carbohydrates as its source of fuel, so if you've only got alot of protein in your diet your body will use this as fuel instead, and gains will be minimal. Proteins job is to build muscle, not fuel it.

Good luck with it all, building muscle naturally is certainly a lengthy and difficult task. I'm about to start my bulk too, as soon as I lower my bodyat from a dismal 15%. :D

Collin

HSC
N/A
illuzionz said:
I think Ive done my rotator cuff !! Noooo !

So pissed off I can't train now.

Any of you guys sustained any sort of injury?
Fucked both my wrists up doing laterals with a weight I shouldn't have tried. Couldn't lift properly for 3 months and lost about 4kg of muscle.

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
Popped my rib cartlidge last Sunday in a BJJ comp. Doctor said I'm out for 4-6 weeks.. I'd say he's right too, a week later and I still have pain, albeit a lot less than from when I originally did it.

It's fucked because I had 2 months of really hard and dedicated training down and to have my momentum stopped is very dissapointing.

Luke_D

HSC
I've been working out properly for about 10 months now. I was getting gains, but not to the extent that I wanted. I looked at my diet plan to find that there pretty much was none haha. So I created a bit of a plan:

Breakfast: Protein shake, bannana
Recess: Leggo's Pasta Meal + can of tuna + Orange juice
5 minute break: Bannana
Lunch: Chicken + Rice + Orange Juice
Afternoon tea (straight after workout): Protein shake
Dinner: Whatevers on the table
Before bed: Protein shake

It can be hard to get decent meals in at school though. I used to just eat canteen food and realised that it wasn't benefiting me one bit as far as gaining mass was concerned.

If you're working out quite frequently, try and consume about 1g of protein per pound of body weight. So for example, I only wiegh 154lb, so I try and consume about 150g of protein a day. For carbohydrates, try and consume about 200-250g per day.

DJ_Cam

Insecure Teen
HSC
N/A
Don't forget about EFA's.

I think people should use the mirror and their bodyfat percentage instead of scales. People obsess over the scales far too much.

Luke_D

HSC
True.

Weight can fluxuate like crazy. My weight tends to be anywhere between 67kg and 69.5kg.

On your comment about using the mirror, I think that is a good way of checking your progress. But because muscle building is such a slow process, it can be hard to notice differences in your appearance. Especially if you look at yourself everyday.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i just bought myself a 45kg weights gym (one of those gym-type machines) at kmart on sale for $300 ($100 off) :D

wanton-wonton

HSC
1Time4thePpl said:
i just bought myself a 45kg weights gym (one of those gym-type machines) at kmart on sale for $300 ($100 off) :D
What can you do on it?

Luke_D

HSC
I thought he said a 45kg weight set, not a machine.

But a good set of dumbells with weights will set you back a bit :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)