• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Gaining Weight (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
oh and my mate thought of the best DB exercise
its a modified hammer curl.
instead of just lifting the db's up with the palms facing inwards, you kinda rotate them into a 'curl' and then from the curled up position lift them up above your head slowly whilst rotating your hands 180 degrees. slowly put them down repeating the same motions.
do it at slow pace.
i do about 12 reps 3 sets 7kg db's

Collin

HSC
N/A
From the way I interpreted that, sounds like a standard dumbell curl and an Arnold shoulder press in one.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i just realised my body isnt that bad anymore :)
I feel so awesome. i watched the schoolies video last week and i was amazed at how feeble i was. just incredibly anorexic-looking. no chick would want to have sex with me (although i did have lots of girlfriends, so dunno how that happened). I partially avoided sex because I knew they'd have to see my body.
Now i don't look that bad at all. Probably double the size. not much of a weight increase from schoolies, but a massive increase in mass. I like it :)
Soon i can start going to the beach.

DJ_Cam

Insecure Teen
HSC
N/A
Yeh my body is fine except for the lower part of my abdominals where there is a bit of fat hiding my sixpack. Last time I checked my bodyfat was 15%. Getting hammered every weekend is certainly the culprit there(Seeing as my diet is pretty much perfect.)

Heres what Creatine does btw:

When a muscle is required to contract, it draws upon ATP(adenosine triphosphate), which is the 'power' that drives muscular genetics. When the muscle contracts the bonds in the molecule are split, yielding ADP, and when the body is depleted of ATP the muscle cannot contract further. What creatine does is enhance your bodies ability to replenish ATP by creating more creatine phosphate within the muscle, which splits to bond the phosphate portion of the molecule to ADP, turning it back into ATP. In Lamens terms, this means you can push out a few more reps in the gym, thus more hypertrophy.

Oh, and don't take it with water, since it quicky breaks down into Creatinine, which is not useable by the body.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
DJ_Cam said:
Yeh my body is fine except for the lower part of my abdominals where there is a bit of fat hiding my sixpack. Last time I checked my bodyfat was 15%. Getting hammered every weekend is certainly the culprit there(Seeing as my diet is pretty much perfect.)

Heres what Creatine does btw:

When a muscle is required to contract, it draws upon ATP(adenosine triphosphate), which is the 'power' that drives muscular genetics. When the muscle contracts the bonds in the molecule are split, yielding ADP, and when the body is depleted of ATP the muscle cannot contract further. What creatine does is enhance your bodies ability to replenish ATP by creating more creatine phosphate within the muscle, which splits to bond the phosphate portion of the molecule to ADP, turning it back into ATP. In Lamens terms, this means you can push out a few more reps in the gym, thus more hypertrophy.

Oh, and don't take it with water, since it quicky breaks down into Creatinine, which is not useable by the body.
hahaha awesome :) I love pdhpe. Got a band 6 for it. ATP is my friend.
So, there's a paradox? You need a lot of water, but don't take it with water?
How much water would i need to drink. When?
I want to know all the precautions before I buy some.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
DJ_Cam said:
apparently this is incorrect. The reason you wouldn't take it with water, but apple juice is because you need glucose for it to absorb better and have that 'insulin peak'
However, there are many mixes out today (such as the one I bought) that contain glucose.
Oh and I bought:
MUSAHI Growling Dog Creating. Carb transport blend. 5% glucose.

Should I heavy load or light load?
(20-30g per day for 4-6 weeks) or 20-30g per day for 5 days, follwoed by 5g per day for 30 days?

Also, why can't I take it with milk?
Finally, could I say take the creatine 10g dose when I wake up. Then eat breakfast 10 mins later.
In the afternoon after uni (5pm) take 10g creatine and drink a weight gain formula with milk.
At night take 5g creatine before sleep.

Last edited:

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Scoop the creatine directly into your mouth and then drink some water to wash it down.

EDIT: After loading your dosage should be -
5g in the morning and 5g post-workout (dont place in your PWO shake though).

In the loading phase take 20g in 4 5g doses.

Btw, it's good to see a couple (unfortunately only a couple) who, from what I have read thus far, know what they are talking about.

Last edited:

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Don't have any high GI carbs at ANY time - except post-workout!! If you do, you diminish your body's insulin sensitivity and thus reduce the effectiveness of the insulin spike post-workout!

hYperTrOphY

HSC
If your water intake is adequate those side effects will be prevented.

Not to be offensive, but I have been to bodybuilding.com, and would prefer not go back. If you want a real bodybuilding site there is only one... www.abcbodybuilding.com

EDIT: At the moment it is -
Chest
Rest
Shoulders
Rest
Quads and Calves
Biceps, Triceps and Forearms
Back and Hamstrings

I do abs generally twice a week.

Last edited:

hYperTrOphY

HSC
When I went there it appeared to be a whole lot of dickheads on steroids with serious ego problems! At abcbodybuilding.com everyone is 100% dedicated to the sport. The moderators are all scientists and bodybuilders. They are the most knowledgable people I have ever met in regards to bodybuilding information. Every month they publich the Journal of HYPERplasia Research - containing awesome SCIENTIFIC research and reveiws. For example, if you wish, I can post the creatine meta analysis that was published quite a while ago if you are interested. All members are extremely respectable and everyone encourages, supports and critiques everyone else constructively. When I went to bodybuilding.com girls were being ridiculed because "girls shouldnt be bodybuilders" and skinny guys who posted pics were being mocked due to their size! Imo, it doesnt appear to be a productive environment for anyone serious about learning and growing - physically, mentally and spiratually!

hYperTrOphY

HSC
melbournian said:
I'm doing

Chest and Tris
Shoulders
Back and Bis
Legs
2 days rest

i don't do abs enough, just chuck like 5 mins of them in whenever i feel like it (usually twice a week).....but am actually looking at making something more concrete. Probably why compared to the rest of my body, there hasn't been too much progress lol :D
Yeah, I hate doing abs! I am going to start doing it at the start of my workouts though. I figure this may be better because after my usual workout I am totally rooted, and I think this may play a part in my lack of desire to trains my abs. Therefore, I am hoping if I train them first - all will be good. Time will tell.

Collin

HSC
N/A
Abs annoy me too, and I used to have a problem doing back. I think it was just the notion of me training a body part I can't actually see that was a bit putting off. But then something hit me and it's one of my focus areas. I think my favorite area to train would be shoulders, and again that used to be one part I neglected. It's interesting to reflect back.

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Much rather be hitting the legs or chest
I think everyone is a fan of chest!...not so with legs though. Other than 1 other guy in my gym - I am the only person who I know that dos squats! And I have only seen half a dozen people ever train legs altogether. What these silly people fail to realise is that training legs - especially via squats - produces GH an thus helps the rest of your body to grow! =)

hYperTrOphY

HSC
Do you guys have a training partner? I train alone now, and its frustrates the **** out of me! I need a spotter so I can go beyond failure.

Collin

HSC
N/A
I neglected backs for the first 15 months I trained. Ridiculous I know, but I started off with a dumbell set I got for Christmas, and with only dumbells it was hard to train back nor was I really interested. Then I actually joined the gym, and things started kicking. Another area I used to neglect was rear delts (infact lots of builders seem to have this problem).. what a mistake that was.

Luke_D

HSC
My recommendation is to get a creatine that doesn't require a loading period, such as effervescent creatine. Very good creatine isn't cheap, but this effervescent creatine by 'Balance' is about $50 I think. You'll be able to get it cheaper somewhere.

I'm not 100% sure what creatine does but from what I know, you'll get increased performance in high intensity workouts, increased energy levels and faster recovery. It's all to do with water being retained in the muscles.

Collin

HSC
N/A
hYperTrOphY said:
Do you guys have a training partner? I train alone now, and its frustrates the **** out of me! I need a spotter so I can go beyond failure.
I convinced one of my friends to join up about 5 months ago, and it's fantastic. Beforehand I would be real cautious to bench.. and usually finish off my bench routine on the Smith. I still go alone sometimes, but I try to make sure I've got a partner for chest days.

Collin

HSC
N/A
melbournian said:
JKD, what do you do for abs?

Reverse declines is basically all I do.....
Well like I mentioned before, abs kinda shit me.. I just fit in a few exercises here and there. I used to do reverse declines, but now I'm doing alot of gym-ball related ab work, because I wanted more core strength aswell. I've got a gut right now so working out abs when you can't see them is a hard deal for me. Again, I really do need to dedicate more time for them.. but hmm, they annoy me.

Luke_D

HSC
melbournian said:
I train alone. But as I live on campus and train at the uni gym, whenever I go there is always people I know. It isn't hard to grab a spot. Also means you gotta avoid the chit chat.

I prefer training alone, and just getting a spotter when I need them.
Same here. I prefer to train by myself so I can concentrate purely on MY workout, and not my training partners.

At the moment I'm trying opposing body parts :

Arms
Shoulders and traps
Legs
Chest and back

My legs are terrible, so they're an exception to the opposing body parts routine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)