Gaining Weight (1 Viewer)

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
psyfre said:
ummm – I would have to disagree wit Elmo. Don’t just start "doin weights". First you need to look at your diet - if u don’t know much about nutrition, go to a nutritionist. You need to structure your diet and start to EAT EAT EAT before you get into the gym. After you get into a steady diet (say 3weeks or so) then start to go to the gym 2 times a week doing light weights. If you haven’t had much experience in a gym before i suggest you spend at least 2 weeks going through technique with a trainer. Then after that....! lol - you can start to build the intensity of your sessions.

Building muscle mass is one of the toughest tasks you can attempt. Your body is an extremely efficient machine. It retains the amount of muscle mass that is required to comfortably perform your daily routine - no more and no less. Excess bulk takes a lot of energy to maintain - up to 50 calories a day per extra pound of muscle mass you add - and thousands of generations of evolution have taught your body that that's a waste of perfectly good nuts, berries, and animal flesh. So it adds muscle reluctantly, and sheds it willingly when you stop exercising.

Unfortunately, evolution couldn't have imagined a society in which high-quality protein is plentiful and people judge each other on the basis of quadricep definition, bicep bulge and pectoral depth.
So if you're going to step into the weight room to build a body that flaunts the unnatural abundance of these times, there are only two rules you need to know:

Rule 1: Lift heavier weights

If you lift the same weights for 3-4 weeks. Then u will reach a plateau and you will stop developing muscle - cause your body has decided that the amount of muscle you have is ideal for the amount of work your doing. That’s why - you must then step it up...and start lifting heavier weights. So your body sais to itself…eeeep – I need more muscle to deal wit this work load.

Rule 2: Eat the right foods at the right time

Most lifters have a vague idea that they should choke down some protein after a workout. But few realize how important it is to eat protein and carbohydrates before a workout. You should have one gram of carbohydrates to each half gram of protein an hour before a workout. the type of protein you eat matters: Essential amino acids - those found in animal products like dairy, meat, eggs, and fish protein - are better for muscle building than the vegetable proteins found in beans, rice and nuts

This combination not only gives you the energy to lift, it also helps repair muscle damage and fully enhances the recovery process following the exercise - all of which contribute to building bigger, buffer muscles. If you don’t know much about how muscle’s grow – I’ll explain. Ok, you go to the gym and do a really hard workout – during the workout your muscles are damaged. That night, and the day after, your body repairs those muscles and adds more to deal with the workout so you don’t damage them again. You go to the gym, ideally 24hrs later on the same set of muscles, and you work harder. That night and the day after – the same thing happens. Your muscles are repaired and more is added to cope with the strain. And the process is continued.

That’s why – the recovery process is the most VITAL part of building muscle. You need to eat the right food and rest your muscles correctly to allow them to recover fully, thus building muscle.

Whether you've been stuck on a muscle building plateau or are just starting to pack it on, making these changes in your exercise and diet should lead to immediate gains. And don't worry about your body's grudge against gaining muscle - eventually they'll learn to get along. Good luck - and i hope this helps! ;)

ow - and fyi. I'm 6ft 4 (193cm) and 93kg.
mate, you just copied and pasted most of that.

but yes.... eating is the most important part, even if you you try to put on mass by doing heavy weights, if u only eat around 3 meals a day, it wont be very benificial. try buying a magazine like muscle and fitness, should help. calories is the most important thing to gaining mass. and also compund exercises, eg. squats, leg press, deadlift, cleans, bench...etc... exercises that use more than one joint, are the best for gaining size.

Last edited:

psyfre

Supercalifragilisticexp..
HSC
ye - i wrote mine out then remembered they had a much easier to understand version..

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
who had a much easier to understand version?

Jaydels

HSC
mr_brightside said:
shit that is like me exactly, i started weight gaining a week and a half ago. its working!!! always eat, never be hungry, lots of fruit, steak and pasta and do some weights. ive gained just over 2 kilos so far.
I've tried gaining weight many times, but it never works. I think I burn energy too quickly. I'm about 170cm and 48kg

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
I don't really have a problem putting on weight, I am always trying to stay leanish as possible by watching what I eat.

I haven't lifted in quite a while, but back when I was lifting hard for a few months I reckon I gained about 6kgs of solid muscle in 3 months when I was restricting my caloric intake to lose fat. This was on top of martial arts training every night, which was pretty cardio intensive.

there was a couple of things I did:

- lifted HEAVY weights based around compound movements: deadlift, squat, shoulder press, bench, weighted dips & pull ups.
- kept reps to 5 and under, as I was training purely for strength, not to gain mass
- PW nutrition - http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/importance.htm

I didn't reach anywhere near potential on my lifts or in terms of gaining muscle due to training martial arts at least five days a week, as well as the fact I was restricting calories to lose fat after a year long lay off of no training and shit nutrition. But, I did manage to hit 140kgs for 5 on the DL and 150kgs for 2 which is starting to get up into the respectable lifting range. Btw, if you want mass, you need to up the iron on the bar - do you think someone who squats 150kgs is going to complain of chicken legs?

I think jezzmo has done something similar to above - heavy weights with compound exercises and gained quite a bit of mass... it's a no brainer, if you want mass, do compound exercise - they recruit the biggest muscle groups and multiple muscles at the same time. Squatting/deadlifting is going to be much more beneficial for you than curling all day long.

Yeah, squatting and deadlifting is hard and sometimes you just wanna puke, but suck it up, over 2/3 of your body is made up of your legs and lower back.

Last edited:

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
cyph also add cleans to it, a great exercise.

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
mr_speedy said:
cyph also add cleans to it, a great exercise.
yeah, I did cleans to warm up.

The Olympic exercises are awesome, especially for developing explosive strength & power.

I need to get back into lifting.. I'm waiting on a squat rack to be built :(.. so I don't have to fork out money for a gym membership

mr_speedy

its called karma baby
HSC
N/A
Cyph said:
yeah, I did cleans to warm up.

The Olympic exercises are awesome, especially for developing explosive strength & power.

I need to get back into lifting.. I'm waiting on a squat rack to be built :(.. so I don't have to fork out money for a gym membership

shit your going to own a squat rack???

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
Jaydels said:
I've tried gaining weight many times, but it never works. I think I burn energy too quickly. I'm about 170cm and 48kg
Firstly you're not 170...166, 167 at most :p

and when did you last weigh yourself? cos last time i weighed myself (a few days ago) i was 58kg...and we're about the same build

Jaydels

HSC
Jago said:
Firstly you're not 170...166, 167 at most :p

and when did you last weigh yourself? cos last time i weighed myself (a few days ago) i was 58kg...and we're about the same build
I said I'm ABOUT 170 cm. I think last time I was measured I was 168 cm, which was a while ago but I don't think I've grown a lot (if at all) since then.
And the last time I weighed myself was tonight before having a shower

Last edited:

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
mr_speedy said:
shit your going to own a squat rack???
That's the plan. Should have been built a couple of weeks ago, so who knows? May have to fork out the money for a membership again..

Tommy_Lamp

Coco
HSC
HSC_sUcKsSsS said:
but isnt gym for people who wanna lose weight not gain?
No not really. It depends. Doing weight training will make you gain weight, cardio will make you lose weight (generally).

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
Tommy_Lamp said:
No not really. It depends. Doing weight training will make you gain weight, cardio will make you lose weight (generally).
To a certain point, nurtition is more important.

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
eat shit food only occasionally, im trying this as well
although i only can really go to the gym 2 times a week

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
since going to the gym i went from 58 k up to 61. i was really cranky til i got measured and realised ive lost centimetres off everything. so my weight went up cos of my muscles, but my body fat % dropped, as did some centimetres YAY.
now i just wana get my weight back down to below 60 :( but really, like i sed in another thread, u just gotta b healthy!

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
i thought thats how alot of peopel do it anyway

even if it is over a 3 day split or something

You do body parts once a week??

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
buddy,
if your an asain, this how how you gain weight:

Work out at the gym (do major muscles; forget about your biceps. Concentrate on your chest, and your thighs)

Eat good foods; high carbs and high protein (get suppliments if you have to). Like most asians, i've got a fast motabolism - and thats how you beat it: take more carbs.

I'm a little under 170cms, my weight varies between 69 and 70.

Big Willy

Cabra Junkie RULES
HSC
PS: For your information, the guy in that photo is NOT me. I've had so many people ask me that question; he has nothing on me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)