Gay friends (1 Viewer)

Napstar

Banned
HSC
How do you guys treat your gay friends?

I was just thinking about when I first found out one of my friends was gay, it was my first experience with a gay person and I was like lol wtf bbq and didn't know how to act or talk around them. I was probably a bit patronising in that I didn't want to offend them and wanted them to know unconditionally that I didn't care they were gay.

Now I'm like meh because I know quite a few and I do my best not to treat them differently. Like, I no longer think of them as my 'gay friend' they're just my 'friend'. If I introduce them to other friends I'm not like 'this is x he is gay' because I think a persons sexuality is irrelevant in a social setting. I'm probably more liberal with the butt secks jokes once I get to know them, and to someone who doesn't know me I probably come across as heaps homophobic because I'll be like 'omgf that's gross you fucking fag' (in response to comparing hot dogs with dicks at the pub or something). It's at the point where I no longer distinguish between 'gay friends' and 'straight friends' because I've learnt that if I show them I am a friend, they've probably realised that I don't give two shits that they're gay.

And yeah that's my story. How do you guys respond to or treat your friends once you've found out they're gay.

Srs responses only.

pman

Banned
HSC
treat them exactly like you would anyone else, just becouse they are homosexual doesn't change who theyare, there still the same person you've been friends with for the last umpteen yrs

williamc

HSC
depends on how they act.

to be honest i cant be around someone who goes around flaunting the fact he gave some guy with a massive dick a blow job last night.

Like i dont hate the actually person, i just hate what they do. So aslong as they keep that business somewhat private i have no problem.

edit: if i found out any of my close mates were gay i really do not know how i would react.

williamc

HSC
straight up don't give a shit, it's such a small aspect of someone as a whole imo
Someones sexuality is a rather large aspect of someone. It determines much of their personality and appearance (stereotypically)

edit with guys esp

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
i dont have any irl gay friends (tho im not entirely sure about this 1 person..), but i wouldn't treat em any differently to anybody else.

williamc

HSC
not always, and who gives a shit anyway?
if i cant tell someone is gay and they come out of the closet i would have no problems remaining friends with him. but like, if my best mate was to say to me tomorrow he was gay, that would be a tad fucked, considering all the almost homosexual things we have done.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
When I find out someone's gay it's sort of the same as finding out someone has a boyfriend or girlfriend. It doesn't change who they are, and it doesn't change how I see them, but it does change their availability, if that makes sense.

yer8899

HSC
luckily my gay friend isnt one of those extroverted, overtly gay guys, so i can actually interact with him without getting weirded out. however i dont really see him as best mate material, as there is one major topic of conversation which we have no common ground

Napstar

Banned
HSC
Yeah see my first gay was and is a massive queen, so it skewed my perspective of what gay people are like. Like, I just assumed they must all be queer prima donna pains in the arse, and he's good fun and stuff but sometimes I'm like dude turn down the gay. And he always makes a point of making sure people know he is the biggest flaming homo ever.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
treat them like most other human beings just because I disgree with their lifestyle does not give me the right to be mean to them.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
depends on how they act.

to be honest i cant be around someone who goes around flaunting the fact he gave some guy with a massive dick a blow job last night.

Like i dont hate the actually person, i just hate what they do. So aslong as they keep that business somewhat private i have no problem.

edit: if i found out any of my close mates were gay i really do not know how i would react.
but you wouldnt care if your mates talked about how they fucked some lowie with huge tits? Homophobe to the max.

lolwth

Banned
HSC
i just think the main thing that boys have in common would be missing so they wouldnt be a good mate

cant talk about bangin sluts if u dont lol

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
but you wouldnt care if your mates talked about how they fucked some lowie with huge tits? Homophobe to the max.
That's exactly what I thought when I read that post.

The majority of my close friends are gay and it's not really a big deal. Both of my best friends are - one is the most low key regular lesbian ever and the other is a straight up effeminate drag queen (but not completely stereotypical). And I treat them pretty much exactly the same as my straight friends - the few of them I have :p

For those who I've always known were gay, it's never been an issue. It was slightly odd when my (girl) best friend came out to me because we'd known each other for six years but I had thought it was a possibility. But it didn't change anything at all.

HSC
I think a lot of people are less homophobic so much as they are "sissyphobic". Or in other words, they don't have anything particularly against two people of the same sex sleeping with one another, but they do have a problem with exaggerated campness in men (Tulipa, does it annoy you that discussions of gayness almost always assume we're talking about gay men?). I don't have a problem with either.

yoddle

is cool
HSC
Gay friends?

Shout them a BridgeClimb in celebration of them coming out, then while you're up there cut the cord and throw them off. The world will be a better place for it.

Or, to paraphrase another gay: "All gay people should be herded into a paddock and shot like the animals that they are".

But on a more serious note,

My bestie is a raging lesbian and I told heaps of my other straight friends before I told her for some reason. She rang me up from overseas after I changed my myspace orientation (lulz at grade 11) and loved it. No-one really treated me any different except suddenly my fashion opinion carried much more weight.

When I came out to to this one boy he was like "Me too!", which completely surprised me as we were at his recently ex girlfriend's house. Then we proceeded to mung on each others' faces all night in front of her.
Alcohol is evil.

Sprangler

HSC
i like it when they talk like that guy off queer eye for a straight guy, its so adorable, like they want to make people hate them.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)