General Discussion of Business Studies (1 Viewer)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
It's my third best subject behind SOR and General Maths. I got 84% in the first task (A 45 minute exam), 21 out of 25, which was alright. I've got a good class teacher and this term we had another teacher who ran additional learning sessions at lunch time. To study, I put everything into a grid, as my teacher told me and I found it works well. I've been working on extended responses throughout the term, I've switched off a bit but I'll be back on in the term. We did Finance first and we're doing operations this term. I'm confident in getting a good result, I'm aiming for a Band 6.
How did you find finance? I'm doing that next term and did operations first. Operations is fairly straight forward but i found it a bit dry at times.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
For anyone who plans to work in professional accounting and undertake the CA program for example, a lot of the concepts taught in business studies particularly in finance and strategy will come back in deeper and more complex forms later on. Definitely worth paying attention now and seeing if you enjoy it :)

HSC
I want a 93-4 in business studies. What is the hardest topic?
GIVE ME YO FOLDER AND I WILL PAY YOU A MILLION DOLLARS WHEN I AM CEO OF SOME MAJOR CORPORATION

Troller

Lol
HSC
My first assessment was basically memorising the syllabus dot points and regurgitating it in the exam, i did okay got 358/363.

Examine

same
HSC
In your opinion what is the hardest and easiest topics
I wouldn't say that I had any topics which I found difficult, though probably my varying interest in them affected in how I found it.

For example I really was not interested in Human Resources, and because of that I would say it was probably the hardest in my opinion (though still it wasn't too hard).

I had quite a big interest in the other topics which made those ones quite easy for me.

I think the concepts in every topic is easy, and it's not too difficult to reach a level where you understand most of it. Once you have, I suggest refining your exam technique.

Troller

Lol
HSC
I'm basically learning the content in these holidays, what is a good way to practise exam/essay techniques. Do you just practise writing essays and do past papers, or is there any other way of testing yourself and preparing

B33FS00P

Dwight K. Schrute
HSC
I'd have to agree with Examine on the idea that no one topic is harder than another, it just depends on where your interests lie. Human resources was was pretty boring for me too, thus was one of my weaker points. I found the other topics to be quite good. In business if you know your stuff, you'll get the marks. Just find a successful way of remembering content, and you've won half the battle. Try to learn your syllabus in close detail, and aim to have a close outline of it memorised by final exam time.
Also, find case studies that you find relevant and interesting, don't try and memorise the standard ones (eg. Qantas) if you dont have any interest in the business itself. Personally i liked to have an array of different contemporary issues as i believe it made my reports/essays a bit more interesting and less repetitive. I guess it comes down to personal preference at the end of the day though.
Good luck guys :)

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm basically learning the content in these holidays, what is a good way to practise exam/essay techniques. Do you just practise writing essays and do past papers, or is there any other way of testing yourself and preparing
You can do all of the above :D

GOod luck^^

Examine

same
HSC
Yeah it's just generally getting a feel of doing all these essays/reports until you become comfortable in writing for section III and IV. Also, definitely practice Section III's from papers once you have the ability to. Unfortunately I was a bit too arrogant and underestimated this section, and therefore didn't do too much revision it. I obviously paid the price for it in the final exam (dragged my HSC mark down horrendously), so yeah, practicing all sections of the exams will be very beneficial.

As B33fs00p has stated, if you don't find Qantas interesting, try to seek other businesses. Luckily I was a person which found Qantas interesting so I had no problem with using it. However, I also created my own notes for a diverse range of businesses to address various contemporary issues. Preparing this is good for 2 main reasons:
- Gives you more opportunity to choose the business that will fit most appropriately to the question (For example inventory management is not a strong point for Qantas but would be much easier to address through Coca Cola Amatil.)
- Shows the marker that you have a holistic understanding of the subject, being able to show your knowledge of various businesses on different issues (Many people used various businesses in their essays other than Qantas. I personally used 3-4 each essay)

For short answers, it's a matter of writing enough to get full marks, but ensuring you don't write excessively to the point where you just waste time. This could save you a lot of time since short answers generally tend to be straightforward (and if you do this well you can save a lot of time while minimising the amount of marks lost). For short answers you can also make your own questions based on the syllabus if you reach the point where you understand the concepts. For example, when I didn't have too much access to HSC papers I would make up questions from specific dotpoints. These are ones I can think of off the top of my head:

Distinguish between transformed and transforming outputs (2 marks)
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of outsourcing (6 marks)
Explain the role sequencing and scheduling have on the business (3 marks)

With multiple choice it's just exposure again, but make sure you do many questions. As I've stated before this section is very deceptive, and they make questions which try trick out people who try rush it. If you reach the point where you can generally spot out these problems then you are set.

I'll post more past papers once I think it's the right time for you guys to do them. Anyway, I think it'd be really good for you to write a couple of essays and reports during these holidays and to submit them to your teacher for marking (now would be the best time to refine your extended response writing skills). If you need any questions to start on just leave a comment down below.

Last edited:

Examine

same
HSC
In fact, you can basically start off now with these questions. As you can see the Section III question is from the 2012 HSC exam (though slightly altered to ensure that it's just for operations), and the Section IV question is from the 2012 specimen paper. (By the way, I was an accelerant too :p )

Last edited:

Troller

Lol
HSC
Thanks for the questions Examine, I will definitely attempt them. Has anyone here been to the TSFX summer school lectures for business studies? If so could you answer the following questions;

1. Was it helpful for you?
2. Did you enjoy it?
3. Did they teach well?
4. Was there good handouts, booklets etc?
5. Is it worth going?

Thank you

Examine

same
HSC
Thanks for the questions Examine, I will definitely attempt them. Has anyone here been to the TSFX summer school lectures for business studies? If so could you answer the following questions;

1. Was it helpful for you?
2. Did you enjoy it?
3. Did they teach well?
4. Was there good handouts, booklets etc?
5. Is it worth going?

Thank you
I haven't gone to these lectures, though in my opinion if you have good organisational skills and have already learnt the info then that would be enough for now. However, if you feel like you want to consolidate your knowledge and you are in a comfortable position to pay for it then you can give it a try.

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
So I just received my raw marks for business

17/20 in multi's
35/40 in short answers
14.5/20 for section III
12.5/20 for section IV

All up 79 but raw examination mark was 81/100 (there may of been scaling for doing a harder question in section IV or they stuffed up).

It aligned to an 88 exam mark .

Examine

same
HSC
My raw marks

16/20 for Multiple choice
37/40 for Short Answers
13.5/20 for Section III (lol)
18/20 for Section IV

84.5/100 went to a 91/100 examination mark.

And this is why you should practice section III guys lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)