General Mathematics Textbook (1 Viewer)

Tom2nv

HSC
Could anyone recommend a general maths textbook as a source of revision as im not sure whats the best for revision and study.

PC

HSC
N/A
If you're starting from scratch, a good textbook is Maths In Focus by Margaret Grove.

If you want to be really thorough, I'd recommend New Century Maths.

Best book for past exam papers and some revision questions is Sucess One from Butler Publications.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Does anybody else have recommendations or insight on textbooks for general maths? :)

yosemite sam

HSC
i have the excel general maths revision and exercises (or something like that) book that my friend gave me and its really good

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
PC said:
If you're starting from scratch, a good textbook is Maths In Focus by Margaret Grove.

If you want to be really thorough, I'd recommend New Century Maths.

Best book for past exam papers and some revision questions is Sucess One from Butler Publications.
I personally don't like Maths in Focus as a textbook, I use it and my friend uses it and we don't like the content and the ordering.

Look at Riviet's sig or http://community.boredofstudies.org...worth+using+as+firewood,+let+alone+a+textbook.

guyzbabigal

HSC
f3nr15 said:
I personally don't like Maths in Focus as a textbook, I use it and my friend uses it and we don't like the content and the ordering.

What do u mean my ordering??

crazathiest

HSC
I think he means how the topics are panned out through the book, what comes first, what comes middle, what comes last, etc. Ordering right?

I'm also looking for extra help in General Maths because I'm struggling. I may get the excel one as I've heard good things.

*Squid*

HSC
crazathiest said:
I think he means how the topics are panned out through the book, what comes first, what comes middle, what comes last, etc. Ordering right?

I'm also looking for extra help in General Maths because I'm struggling. I may get the excel one as I've heard good things.
am also needing help!!!! is annoying cause people always say general maths is heaps easy and stuff but i dont think so!!!!!! i think its because the questions are so long and full of un-needed info.!! i think i might try the excell book 2.

HSC
considering i only dropped to general coz im lazy, if you want i can try to help you guys. so far my mark is 99%...not sure how it works over the net, but yeah.

lolrofllol

HSC
The new Excel is VERY good. I'm not sure how the old one was set out, but this one has everything you need with the aesthetic appeal (i.e. not black on white with loads of text) and all the questions you could ask for!

It cost me $40, but i'm sure you could get it for less...
I was cut when the week after i bought it, these wholesalers were selling them half price at my school :(

Last edited:

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
I quite liked the Cambridge one.. found New Century one annoying and tedious, but that's just me.
I found just doing past papers & practice questions more helpful than anything.

Schoey93

HSC
"New Century General Mathematics HSC course" is great, because it's all you need (apart from two black pens, two lead pencils, a maths exercise book and a geometry set) to achieve a Band 6 in General Mathematics ... to be honest, I doubt you even have to refer to the syllabus (unless you are super worried that you didn't cover something in class, at school or TAFE).

There is a downside to New Centrury General Mathematics, however:

- it contains TOO MUCH work... the textbook actually contains extension exercises and some content that will NOT be in the exam.

My favourite General Mathematics HSC course textbook is "Jacaranda - Maths Quest: HSC General Mathematics" by Robert Rowland. A Preliminary course textbook is also available. This book is good because it doesn't just show you the rules and ask you to memorise them by rote, it actually has pages and pages of diagrams TO SHOW you how the formulae were derived, e.g. one page is entitled "The Derivation of the Sine Rule" ... so you actually get to SEE how the rules were derived/made, which fosters in capable, motivated students a true understanding and appreciation of the value of mathematics for human society, not only as a useful scientific tool, but as a means of recreation.

:)

STUDying legend

HSC
get on the exel for general maths and also get all the past papers available from board of studies site as they can only ask you so many questions they just change the situation and figures each year.

tk01

HSC
what i suggest is doing all the review sets from you school text book and go get yourself (as previously mentioned) a sucess one general maths book make sure you get the 2009 edition. the book is gold it has all past papers from 2001-2008

booganee

HSC
i have new century maths and excel
new century is good for the practice but i prefer excel for the theory and explanations of how to do it :)

diggler

HSC
N/A
I find the Cambridge to be the most basic, Oxford a bit more challenging and New Century the hardest.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Just a word of warning I bought the 'Cambridge Checkpoints ' book by: David Tynan, Natalie Caruso, John Dowsey, Peter Flynn, Dean Lamson, Philip Swedosh and Neil Duncan. The book is a carbon copy of the HSC past exam papers but with solutions. (of the past 6 years)

Im assuming for Extension 1 Cambridge Checkpoints that also would be the same thing.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
A little criticism of Lyn Baker's book is the graphs are a bit hard to read. When you get to 'Modelling Linear Relationships', its hard for instance to read the gradient values off the graph.

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Recommend 'Study On'- HSC General Maths published by Rowland (publisher: Jacaranda Plus) . The booklet has past BOS Exam Questions, 600+ Exam Practice Questions, Online Progress Tracker, Video and Animations.

The mini-study guide is ideal for exam preparation and has videos of examples.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)