• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

General Maths and Standard English (3 Viewers)

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
We're not saying they're sorry excuses because they are easy - we're complaining that the content is so basic.

Econ is an extension of Yr 10 Commerce, Chemistry and Biology and Physics sprout from Yr10 Science. General Maths is an extension of... Year 7-9 maths.
econ isnt ext of yr 10 commerce, and physics aint extension of yr 10.

kyokaku92

HSC
Talking about the content. What is a harder course General maths or 5.3 year 10 maths?
According to my experiences in yr 10 and my mates doing general, general should be harder cos of the extra content (check syllabus, I'm too lazy) whereas the only extra topics 5.3 yr 10ers do is trig, coordinate geometry, more eqns and learn additional topics like logs... but for the rest of us 2U+ it does look relatively simple

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
5.3 > General

In 5.3 I did circle geometry, and other things that I forgot. I just remember circle geometry because the picture in the front to introduce the chapter was that of a dryer :p

Mu5hi, to me, it seemed that Econ and Legal built upon stuff I knew in Commerce. Science however gave you some broad knowledge of all three HSC Sciences (excluding Senior Science, not sure what that is) - I remember a few Biology, Chemistry and Physics elements.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I've only heard it's like equations and that, and simple Chemistry, Biology and Physics.

There's only one person I know who does SS - I might ask her.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
my school doesn't offer senior science so i can't comment
despite the fact that my school doesn't offer it, we have senior science textbooks in the library for some reason lol

duckcowhybrid

HSC
What school is this? Because at mine if you weren't in the top 5 maths classes you had to get band 5 in SC to get into 3U
It's Ruse. The entire school got Band 5 minimum in virtually everything, so our school doesn't give a shit about school cert marks. I went from bottom class in Year 10, to bottom 3U class in Year 11 to 4U in Year 12. It's very very doable if you try.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
I know, for a fact, that General Maths is a sorry excuse for a subject. A quick look at my friend's General Maths textbook shows them learning about significant figures, collecting like terms and basic arithmetic.

Now, I'm not sure about Standard English - as there is no 'textbook' per se, and the only snippets of work I can see from them are that they are analysing some sort of Banjo Patterson poem. Also, I do know that they'll be doing Belonging as well, and do not do Shakespeare.

My questions are:

Is General Maths a sorry excuse for a subject? What differentiates Standard English from Advanced English? Is Standard English a sorry excuse for a subject?
I want to neg you.

I learnt all the general maths stuff in years 8/9/10.
Made years 11/12 a total breeze :)
Great subject A++++

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)