General maths. (1 Viewer)

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
I'm pretty sure there is no course which requires General Mathematics as a pre-requisite. Better off not doing maths at all in the HSC and pick up a bridging course later on in my opinion.
No, perhaps not specifically general maths but a large number of course do require maths and for those people lacking the mathematical prowess to complete the 2U course general maths is a suitable option. That is your opinion and I too would rather do a bridging course than suffer through another year of maths but there are many who wouldn't and a course suited to these peoples abilities must be available.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
No, perhaps not specifically general maths but a large number of course do require maths and for those people lacking the mathematical prowess to complete the 2U course general maths is a suitable option. That is your opinion and I too would rather do a bridging course than suffer through another year of maths but there are many who wouldn't and a course suited to these peoples abilities must be available.
But the thing is, doing a subject for the sake of learning the skills for tertiary education is pointless if you're going to do poorly in that subject. Doing poorly in General Maths will really hurt your ATAR and even if it is only a spare unit, think of all the time you could have spent on your other units.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
But the thing is, doing a subject for the sake of learning the skills for tertiary education is pointless if you're going to do poorly in that subject. Doing poorly in General Maths will really hurt your ATAR and even if it is only a spare unit, think of all the time you could have spent on your other units.
Your worried about people doing poorly in GM? Yet your alternative to a bridging course is those students suffering through 2U? No one said anything about doing badly in general, an ATAR or a spare unit, what the fuck are you talking about?

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Your worried about people doing poorly in GM? Yet your alternative to a bridging course is those students suffering through 2U? No one said anything about doing badly in general, an ATAR or a spare unit, what the fuck are you talking about?
What I'm saying is that I see no logic in doing general maths. You said some people do general maths because a large number of courses require some mathematical ability. What I'm saying is, if you do general maths in high school and do crap (or even average) - you'll be screwed over anyway and will reduce your chances of getting into the course in the first place and if you're doing well in general maths - you should be doing 2u.

ashie0

world
HSC
N/A
What I'm saying is that I see no logic in doing general maths. You said some people do general maths because a large number of courses require some mathematical ability. What I'm saying is, if you do general maths in high school and do crap (or even average) - you'll be screwed over anyway and will reduce your chances of getting into the course in the first place and if you're doing well in general maths - you should be doing 2u.
Bullshit.
Not everyone is aiming for an ATAR of 70, 80, 90 etc. Your opinion on the level of maths people are capable of or should undergo is narrow and obviously tainted by your own grasp on the 2U or 3U course. The fact is that students should have the option of a course similar to general maths. People may wish to undertake this subject because they or their parent sees maths as a crucial facet of education, it is required for further study, they like maths, it will be valuable to them. The fact that the 2U course is too challenging for many students who who wish to do maths does not mean they should be disqualified from doing a level of maths which is suitable for their abilities. Just because you think it is a useless or easy course does not mean others do.

PodiatryA

HSC
Hey. I dropped General Maths because i simply was not good at it. This has no bearing on my intelligence at all, because i excel at all my other subjects. I am very good at IPT, Business and Modern. I have never liked Maths and have never paid attention in the earlier years, so when it came to Year 11, i didn't understand it, instead of trying to improve, i simply dropped it at the end of the year. Simple as that. Because General Maths was my lowest in terms of performance, i saw it as my weak link. It could of seriously damaged my ATAR if i continued in a subject that i didn't like, nor got good marks.

Last edited:

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
Worth as a person, yes. Intelligence... I'll have to be convinced on that one.

The stuff in General Maths isn't very technically difficult, it's basically applying formula given on the sheet and maybe a few things to remember.

Academic wise, they probably aren't intelligent. But there are many types of intelligences. That girl who I know may not be the brightest bulb maths-wise, but if I have to match her in aesthetic intelligence (which if, I remember correctly, is body movement), I'm dead.
Sorry, but this is a really shallow statement.
However, I do agree with the sentence that follows. "There are many types of intelligences". Of course there are. Just because someone isn't that great at Maths it doesn't mean that they are a complete idiot.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Bullshit.
Not everyone is aiming for an ATAR of 70, 80, 90 etc. Your opinion on the level of maths people are capable of or should undergo is narrow and obviously tainted by your own grasp on the 2U or 3U course. The fact is that students should have the option of a course similar to general maths. People may wish to undertake this subject because they or their parent sees maths as a crucial facet of education, it is required for further study, they like maths, it will be valuable to them. The fact that the 2U course is too challenging for many students who who wish to do maths does not mean they should be disqualified from doing a level of maths which is suitable for their abilities. Just because you think it is a useless or easy course does not mean others do.
This

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)