General Thoughts - Biology (1 Viewer)

HSC
i realise i won't get any replies for a while, since the exam is scheduled to finish right about now, but...

how did you go? was it easy, hard, unbearable? which questions were hardest?

i finished about an hour early (and don't take this as a sign that i failed, i always finish early in bio, and i answered every question thoroughly) as did a couple of friends and a few guys from the school we share a hall with.

after all my worry, i feel i did well. the only questions i didn't like were the pathogen experiment and the slide of red and white blood cells.

what about you guys?

ahmad.aamir

HSC
Re: how did you go?

Hey
I finished early as well. Were you able to get a copy of the exam? I wasn't allowed for some reason. If you've got one, can u please post it up. What option did u do?

HSC

no, you're not allowed to take it if you leave early, so i don't have one either, sorry.

i did communication, you?

ahmad.aamir

HSC

I did communication as well. Can you remember the last few questions for the option cause i did that pasrt first (to avoid it at the end) and i completely forgot to check it. Can u remember the last few questions.
What was the hardest question that you thought?

HSC

ahmad.aamir said:
I did communication as well. Can you remember the last few questions for the option cause i did that pasrt first (to avoid it at the end) and i completely forgot to check it. Can u remember the last few questions.
What was the hardest question that you thought?
the pathogen experiment one tripped me up a little bit, that was the hardest for me because i suck at experiment type stuff. when we did that type of stuff in class, my friend pretty much did every experiment, i didn't really get to contribute except for one time modelling natural selection.

yeah i did communication first too (like you, i wanted to get it out of the way first), so the only one i can remember was the tymbal one...

what question did you find hardest?

Katieeee

HSC

I liked the paper overall - nothing too tricky. I found the hardest question to be the one about the tympanic membrane on the insect in the communication option section.

For the pathogen question I described the agar experiment.

Azurie

HSC

I didn't get the phloem question, the rest I understood,overall was decent paper, what did you guys say about the red blood slide? accurate or not? and what did you guys get for the multiplce choice? Question 6 confused me for a bit,l

ahmad.aamir

HSC

Azurie said:
I didn't get the phloem question, the rest I understood,overall was decent paper, what did you guys say about the red blood slide? accurate or not? and what did you guys get for the multiplce choice? Question 6 confused me for a bit,l
Can you remember the question on the phloem? and what was question 6 again?

brookelovesit

HSC

It was soooooo good!

Simple and straight forward. 100% here i come.

HSC

ahmad.aamir said:
Can you remember the question on the phloem? and what was question 6 again?
hey, do you do your exams overseas? just curious because you seem to be asking a lot about the exam questions and not saying much about what you wrote. and that's the reason we can't take our exam papers out, overseas people doing the exam later. just making sure you're not a cheat :p

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC

why did u leave early :S :(

should've stayed and checked all your answers over and over

ahmad.aamir

HSC

russianROULETTE said:
hey, do you do your exams overseas? just curious because you seem to be asking a lot about the exam questions and not saying much about what you wrote. and that's the reason we can't take our exam papers out, overseas people doing the exam later. just making sure you're not a cheat :p
no!!!!

gloworm14

HSC
N/A

heyyyy

omg all that B and T cell knowledge for nothing!!!

lol

i actually had to think alot about the longer questions in communication:
b) 'It was observed that a new insect species had a flat disk on the inner knee of each foreleg.
How could you use a first-hand investigation and information from secondary sources to determine if this structure functions as a tympanic membrane?'

the 7 marker was kinda alright i guess, it was just having to separate the question into parts and answering each of them... i took 2 pages LOL

the last two were okay...

the soundwave one i completed a diagram of a ear yay
then i wasnt sure if energy was the same as soundwave so i wrote both.

sound energy --> mechanical(kinetic) energy --> electrochemical energy

then i did another one showing the actual type of wave that passes the pinna,canal,tympanic membrane,ear ossicles, oval and round window, cochlea, auditory nerve.

for the last question i wasnt sure if my limitation was correct ... i said that the cochlear implant doesnt pick up a variety of high/low frequencies that a normal organ of corti in a cochlea does...
is this a limitation? i cant remember lol

apart from that, the rest of the paper was actually easier than i thought other than the design an experiment one... i was kinda second guessing what they meant by 'drinking water'.... i was like... umm tap water or water from river?
i ended up doing river water because tap water is treated water and it asked to find if the product eliminated the pathogens... so pathogens had to be there in the first place right?

how'd everyone else go?

gloworm14

HSC
N/A

i nearly missed the two questions at the back of the question writing booklet about meiosis and genetic variation. would've been a 6 mark loss if i didnt see them LOL
i ended up finding them 15 minutes before it ended.:karate:

kid123

HSC

Yeah i just finished it...finally over...so much shit i study wasnt even on the test! Overall i thought it was ok but there was some tricky stuff..but overall better than i expected.

HSC

gloworm14 said:
b) 'It was observed that a new insect species had a flat disk on the inner knee of each foreleg.
How could you use a first-hand investigation and information from secondary sources to determine if this structure functions as a tympanic membrane?'
yeah, for that one i was like wtf?

for the last question i wasnt sure if my limitation was correct ... i said that the cochlear implant doesnt pick up a variety of high/low frequencies that a normal organ of corti in a cochlea does...
is this a limitation? i cant remember lol
the only ones i remember are expensive surgery, postoperative infection risk, user must learn to interpret sounds... so i don't know, sorry.

apart from that, the rest of the paper was actually easier than i thought other than the design an experiment one... i was kinda second guessing what they meant by 'drinking water'.... i was like... umm tap water or water from river?
i ended up doing river water because tap water is treated water and it asked to find if the product eliminated the pathogens... so pathogens had to be there in the first place right?
yeah, i agree. i didn't really specify what type of water, but i already knew i screwed that one up. oh well, still a potential 96 marks to be had.

Lordie

HSC

Yes, a limitation is the inability to distinguish between frequencies, thus they are set at a frequency that suits them.

So I discussed methods that could be developed that allow the implant to change its frequency independently depening on the external environment(ie, crowds etc.), acting like a normal human ear!

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC

I used up all my time, 2 hours and 50 minute working and 10 checking things, its not that i didnt know things i was just writing the whole time. Im a little depressed now though cause im normally pressed for time in bio and rush a little which caused me to misread a few multichoice questions. I misread question 1 wrong and got it wrong :( and nearly did the samefor question 15. Other than that it was a fair test, i thought there would be more on mode of inheritence in the option, instead there was nothing. I hope i can capitalise on my good internal rank with a good external, hoping for a band 6

jozza80

Enthusiasm
HSC

gloworm14 said:
i nearly missed the two questions at the back of the question writing booklet about meiosis and genetic variation. would've been a 6 mark loss if i didnt see them LOL
i ended up finding them 15 minutes before it ended.:karate:
Yer I did the same but for the prac question, but I bloody forgot about it till 30 seconds to the end!! Ahhhhh....

Good-bye band six...

Darnie

mad cunt
HSC

Azurie said:
It wasn't accurate. The scale was 10mm, not 10um, therefore the red blood cells would have been visible. which they arent. the red blood cells are also bigger than the white blood cells, when irl they arent

haha
for a first hand investigation i said put the insect in a box with a speaker, and play a really loud sound and gauge it's reaction. then take the insect out, remove its front legs and place it back in the box. play the sound again and once again gauge its reaction. lol
fail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)