General Thoughts - Biology (1 Viewer)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
Re: how did you go?

i did crap...

but i conceeded bio wouldn't count, and thus didnt reaally study, at all.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC

Darnie said:
It wasn't accurate. The scale was 10mm, not 10um, therefore the red blood cells would have been visible. which they arent. the red blood cells are also bigger than the white blood cells, when irl they arent
Also you dont see platlets under a light microscope,

Are the exams marked positively ie only pay you if you are correct but dont penalise you if you make an incorrect statement?

samjohnno91

HSC

kid123 said:
Yeah i just finished it...finally over...so much shit i study wasnt even on the test! Overall i thought it was ok but there was some tricky stuff..but overall better than i expected.
thats biology lol. i think i did quite well, hoping for a 90. i only think i got the last MC wrong by accident and the thing that ticked me a bit was the biotech question on the sour dough used as a 'starter' for the next mixture/batch of bread. sorta bullshitted a bit, talking about the prac where we made bread. it was yummy!:)

jozza80

Enthusiasm
HSC

axlenatore said:
Also you dont see platlets under a light microscope,

Are the exams marked positively ie only pay you if you are correct but dont penalise you if you make an incorrect statement?
If you contradict yourself by saying a wrong statement, it will kill you..

Well, thats what my physics teacher told me, as I do it ALL the time!

But they are there to give you marks, not to take them away.. Or are they?

haha..

tau281290

HSC

Oh yeaaaa bio is over, the paper was all right, but the option was a bit challenging.

Tinkluvsyou114

HSC

I didn't think it was too bad. I'm pretty sure I knew (or at least had some idea of) the answer for every question EXCEPT the diagram of the phloem!!!!! It was the year 9 work or something that screwed me up, haha. At least it was only one mark (I think? Better not have been two).

Question: What were the things you had to label on the phloem diagram? :)

Other than that, I was really happy. I knew I always finish with ages to go so I took a long time on each question and finished on time. If only the english exams had been this good...

HSC

Darnie said:
It wasn't accurate. The scale was 10mm, not 10um, therefore the red blood cells would have been visible. which they arent. the red blood cells are also bigger than the white blood cells, when irl they arent
i hated that question, we had a useless prac teacher when we studied that section. i saw the 10mm thing, thought 'wtf isn't it um' and then just shrugged my shoulders. the only thing i got right out of what you just wrote was the part about RBC being smaller than WBC. i already knew i screwed that one up, though, so meh.

Lordie

HSC

Tinkluvsyou114 said:
I didn't think it was too bad. I'm pretty sure I knew (or at least had some idea of) the answer for every question EXCEPT the diagram of the phloem!!!!! It was the year 9 work or something that screwed me up, haha. At least it was only one mark (I think? Better not have been two).

Question: What were the things you had to label on the phloem diagram? :)

Other than that, I was really happy. I knew I always finish with ages to go so I took a long time on each question and finished on time. If only the english exams had been this good...
One was the sieve cell - what was the further away thing? I didn't get that...I also think, two features, for 1 mark? Maybe they'll give 1 mark if you get 1/2 correct...as they can't give half marks!

Tarshy

HSC

What did yous put for for the Wallace/ Darwin Question?

imqt

Premium Member
HSC

Katieeee said:
I liked the paper overall - nothing too tricky. I found the hardest question to be the one about the tympanic membrane on the insect in the communication option section.

For the pathogen question I described the agar experiment.

same

HSC

^ no, if you get it half correct you get zero for it.

i put sieve plate and sieve tube....

Tarshy

HSC

Lordie said:
One was the sieve cell - what was the further away thing? I didn't get that...I also think, two features, for 1 mark? Maybe they'll give 1 mark if you get 1/2 correct...as they can't give half marks!
I thought that they would give 0. I did the same thing to.

Lordie

HSC

imqt said:
Crappppppppp. I made an experiment using 6 beakers. 2 beakers had no additive, two beakers had the new chemical, and a third had another chemical that's proven to be effective against the pathogen. I then described how to do it that way...

Argh, I forgot all about the agar experiment. Heh, however it was 4 marks, so I believe they should give me something.

Unless they don't give you marks if it's an experiment not in the syllabus?

HSC

Tarshy said:
What did yous put for for the Wallace/ Darwin Question?
convergent evolution i.e. they evolved to be similar because they're living in similar environments

Lordie said:
Crappppppppp. I made an experiment using 6 beakers. 2 beakers had no additive, two beakers had the new chemical, and a third had another chemical that's proven to be effective against the pathogen. I then described how to do it that way...

Argh, I forgot all about the agar experiment. Heh, however it was 4 marks, so I believe they should give me something.

pretty sure that would be fine. as long as it does what the question says you're alright.

for the phloem one, i put sieve plate and sieve element... i always sucked at that section lol.

Last edited:

Matt007123

HSC

That was so easy, Aced it

Subjects: Math, Math ext, Bio, Chem, Adv eng, Business

Daline

HSC

I put sieve cells and companion cells? but i was unsure.

chomp

HSC

I completely stuffed up the chemical composition... and that tympannic membrane one was very very weird (i spoke about information gathhering and also modeeling the tymmpanic membrane). But i wrote 5 pages for the 7 marker i.e. blood and for communication technology one :)

Cob-was-here

HSC

Daline said:
I put sieve cells and companion cells? but i was unsure.
same.

That test was easy except for the 1 multiple choice one i stuffed and the 1 short answer i half stuffed up.

Human Story was soooo easy!

Come to think of it... I cant remember any questions on lymphocytes... were there any?

dolbinau

HSC

Lordie said:

I did the same thing! The phloem thing was companion cell and sieve plate I think. On iPhone so I will post more thoughts when I get home. But overallgood.

Azurie

HSC

russianROULETTE said:
convergent evolution i.e. they evolved to be similar because they're living in similar environments
I did the same

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)