General Thoughts - Biology (1 Viewer)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
danz90 said:
out of curiosity

for that 4 mark graph question, did you guys do a CURVE of best fit, because it was obviously a curved pattern, not linear.

When i extrapolated, I got 4.5uM/sec/g as the enzyme activity at 75 substrate concentration.. did anyone get around that oo?
I think they'll accept a certain range of values.

Also, i put dependent variable (enzyme activity) on y-axis, and the independent on x-axis.... this is right isnt it?
Yup to all above... around 4.5uM and a curve shape when I connected the dots.

danz90

HSC
Kujah said:
Yup to all above... around 4.5uM and a curve shape when I connected the dots.
yayyy:D

that was a good 4-marker which tested a fair bit:

knowing interaction between independent and dependent variables
knowing about curves/lines of best fit and when they are appropriate for use
making appropriate extrapolations
etc

rlmck

HSC
Did anyone find the 8 mark question on blood products and methods a little too easy ..

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
rlmck said:
Did anyone find the 8 mark question on blood products and methods a little too easy ..
LOL yes

thats what worries me :(

hope they wont mark THAT hard :eek:

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
The questions I found were good nothing tricky :)
Though I hated the communication option (especially the 6 and 7 question) I should've paid more attention to this rather than focusing on stupid t and b cells which wasn't even in the exam!!
I'm just glad Bio is over for good! No more science for me! ... EVER!

shell667

HSC
N/A
i thought the first section was really good
but genetics was horrible...

cheekygal310

HSC
Hmm i thought the first section wasn't too bad. But yeah communication, particularly the high marked q's was terrible! What was with the first hand investigation for testing the insect for a tympanic membrane!

assbey

HSC
Yeah, the first hand investigation for testing the insect for a tympanic membrane was completely uncalled for.

danz90

HSC
assbey said:
Yeah, the first hand investigation for testing the insect for a tympanic membrane was completely uncalled for.
u didn't have to actually plan a first-hand investigation (thankfully lol).. the question asked how a first hand investigation COULD, along with info frm secondary resources indicate that the structure functioned as a tympanic membrane.

I wonder how hard they're gonna mark the Communication questions this year... the questions were quite different to past papers, in their style.

There was massive emphasis on hearing/sound communication this year.

assbey

HSC
danz90 said:
u didn't have to actually plan a first-hand investigation (thankfully lol).. the question asked how a first hand investigation COULD, along with info frm secondary resources indicate that the structure functioned as a tympanic membrane.

I wonder how hard they're gonna mark the Communication questions this year... the questions were quite different to past papers, in their style.

There was massive emphasis on hearing/sound communication this year.
THANK GOD I dont do biology. :)

HSC
hey na but ithink pretty much it wanted a experiement for dat question..so what did u write for that question guys? im curious to KNO!

tjenn

HSC
Re: how did you go?

Hey the two parts that they were pointing at were the sieve plate and a companion cell...They apparently don't give 1/2 marks which is really disappointing, coz every mark counts!

hellywelly

poppin fresh
HSC
Shocking! The communication questions were so stupid - we did Ears and Eyes and yet they were asking about bloody tympanic membranes on an insect's knees? What the hell!

Multiple choice was easy

the rest - meh. i hate bio anyway, its my worst subject

laurrk

HSC
did anyone do genetics?
that 7 marker was soo annoying!!

kwinnall

HSC
genetics 7 mark qsn was a bit of a bitch, but apart from that, the paper was a pretty good one... no real nasty questions.

sbrooks

HSC
yaahhh, the genetics section wasn' t great... wasn't too happy with the high mark questions.

but i hear that all of the elective questions were pretty dodgy =_=

other than that, it was a pretty fair paper. multiple choice was easy, thank god. i always hate losing marks on multiple choice ><

crookesy99

HSC
Well i spoke to a lot of people...including a few teachers, and they said that it wasn't neccesarily asking for an experiment, but rather how you could use both SECONDARY and PRIMARY (experminetal) sources for the design.

Secondary sources are vital in looking at COMPARATIVE ANATOMY. ie. comparing the insects structual form against similar insects.
Secondary sources are also important in observing existing Tympanic structures on other similar species (i.e Grasshoppers) to observe characteristics, and function.
Secondary sources can also be used to determine the frequencies at which similar species respond to. ie. 20,000 Hz etc etc

Thus in a primary, first-hand investigation we can utilise these.
Observations under microscope to observe comparative anatomy...diagrams, observations recorded .. etc etc all that jazz
Then you can also expose the insect to various frequencies to determine if the tympanic membrane operates in a similar way to other species.

The question is all about comparing with other similar species...im sure there are a million and one ways of writing about it....the markers will do their best to give you marks!

Hope that helped!

j.cooper

HSC
I thought the communication bit was awesome... I only studied the eye and the ear so i liked it... For the first-hand investigation can you do a comparitive study of the new insect and a proven tympanic membrane to compare structures and then support this with second-hand resources???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)