General Thoughts: Biology (1 Viewer)

brodiee

HSC
i wrote about how the better understanding has led to better use of genetic therapy. i did two examples not sure if correct.
Cancer tumours- how scientists insert genes from virus's into the tumour so the body recognises it as 'foreign' and attacks it
and i also just did the standard cystic fibrosis example.
could the cancer one work? cos reli a tumour is a mutation lol</SPAN>

HSC
i wrote about how the better understanding has led to better use of genetic therapy. i did two examples not sure if correct.
Cancer tumours- how scientists insert genes from virus's into the tumour so the body recognises it as 'foreign' and attacks it
and i also just did the standard cystic fibrosis example.
could the cancer one work? cos reli a tumour is a mutation lol</SPAN>

your examples seem fine......lol i talked about giving pigs extra growth hormones which aterls there phenotype so they cant support their own wieght.........im screwed....:(

Foxman

HSC
Re: Hsc 2009 bio exam

The exam was ok. The only tricky section for me was the 6 marker on the kidney (wtf). The 8 marker was a bit challenging but i hope to get some marks for it. i made a few mistakes which i had to cross out grrr ie enantiostasis. Why did i have to write a marine animal instead of a plant. Man i got to learn how to read. Communication was fairly easy

cross fingers for a band 6
good to see some else thought this question was shit... i got out of the exam and realised i drew a nephron instead of the kidney, but hopefully should still scrape a few marks... rest was reasonably straightforward

lisaliz

HSC
yes just a nephron! me too!! glad sum1 else did that. wouldnt have a clue about the rest of the kidney

Lachycharts

Don't afraid of anything!
HSC
weren't we meant to? or what were we meant to do
My one pretty much looked like the one I made ages ago for my summaries with the addition of heart rate increasing:

Code:
[URL]http://community.boredofstudies.org/156/maintaining-balance/126806/negative-feedback-mechanisms.html#post4515628[/URL]

robertmartinez

HSC

did any1 do biotechnology as there option? how did you think you went?

q3thefish

HSC
what kind of atar should i expect with these raw marks:
(this is what i predict i will get as raw marks)

math ext: 50/83 ---- school ranking 6
math 2U : 105/120---- school ranking 8
Biology : 80/100---- school ranking 2
SOR 1U : 35/50---- school ranking 20
English standard: 78/105---- school ranking 20
software design and development: ---- school ranking 1
chemisty: ---- school ranking 10
Wrong section of forum buuud.

truestar92

HSC
WOOOO no more biology
i feel like the exam was fairly easy but the multiple choice wording was very tricky !
all in all i hope i did well can't wait till this damned HSC is over

emmcyclopedia

HSC
HEY BIO PEEPS!!

How flopping good does it feel to be done?!?!?! WOOOO! [Chemistry on Monday then I am completely done!]

I just had a question on that feedback diagram - was it meant to be a generalised model of feedback, or a model of a specific feedback mechanism???

It was annoying, I was in there and wasn't sure whether they were wanting thermoregulation or just a summary of negative feedback.

So I kinda did a general model, and then put next to it the associated content relating to body temp (i.e. receptors = skin/brain; control centre = hypothalamus; etc...)

What did you do?

KnifeySpoony

HSC
Yeah i did that too.
I think i was a little brief though, i think i went transmission instead of contorl centre though, but i think theyre essetnially the same thing.
Edit: i put the change in temp as a stimulus and errr, wrapped up with "homeostasis", while it didnt relate to the Q...meh.

Last edited:

fayad158

Banned
HSC
hey bio peeps!!

How flopping good does it feel to be done?!?!?! Woooo! [chemistry on monday then i am completely done!]

i just had a question on that feedback diagram - was it meant to be a generalised model of feedback, or a model of a specific feedback mechanism???

it was annoying, i was in there and wasn't sure whether they were wanting thermoregulation or just a summary of negative feedback.

So i kinda did a general model, and then put next to it the associated content relating to body temp (i.e. Receptors = skin/brain; control centre = hypothalamus; etc...)

what did you do?
anyone else do this?

jess6

HSC

I think crossing over just mixes alleles, not creating new ones. Mutation in the DNA however, creates new allels (e.g. albinism)
i thought the same so i put mutation in the DNA :)

simplyyme

HSC

How'd everyone go?? I think it was a pretty straight forward exam.. besides some multiple choice questions that were tricky :/ My options on genetics had big questions... 5 marks, 6 marks, and 7 marks consecutively :O!

Question 14 about the punctuated equilibrium/convergent/divergent evolution.. what'd you guys put? My teacher said it could be divergent.. or punctuated. I put punctuated.

Also the question with the stomates opening.. it could be either b) or d).. if it was a eucalyptus tree it would be b) but i put d)

I put punctured as well and for the stomates i did D it looked like the most correct, cause plants tend to close their stomates in the hottest part of the day and open them back up when it's cold.

overall the exam wasn't overly difficult, but some of the multiple choice you narrowed it down to 2 choices and they were really similar, i can't remember the question number but the one about hemoglobin and CO2, i spent a good couple of minutes trying to figure out which one was right after i narrowed it down o_o

emmcyclopedia

HSC
anyone else do this?
yeah, it's set out and worded slightly different to mine, but yeah.
looks like we should be fine then =]
top job!

lol @ mentioning homeostasis... that would have been good, but it just reminded me of the enantiostasis/homeostasis/salt regulation q! dude, i wrote waaaay too much for that! gotta love mangroves... =P

Gaston

HSC

I'm not sure whether this is correct
i dont mean to undermine you but the processes of filtration, reabsorption and secretion occur in the nephron not in specific parts of the kidney. the nephrons are located mainly in the cortex and outer medulla and there are almost 800000-1 million nephrons in each kidney.

i put the cortex and described role of nephron, and put ureter and described excretion of urea in urine and put in the renal artery bringing in contaminated blood from the body for excretion
fingers crossed its right
gl to everyone:):)
exact same as me bro, im glad there's two of us

Gaston

HSC

it was definately b, why would stomates open at night when there is no light to photosynthesise with? They open early morning, close midday and open at dawn to minimise the water loss during the hottest part of the day.
bugger!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)