General Thoughts: Biology (1 Viewer)

Tasha270494

HSC
yeah i'd definitely say for the multiple choice with the virus infecting cells, it's cytotoxic T cells (i luckily picked that one, was tossing it up between that and killer t cells)
There is a difference- Cytotoxic t cells provide cell mediated immunity against virus that have infected cells while (natural) killer t cells bind to "foreign" lipids
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytotoxic_T_cells
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_killer_T_cell
"A cytotoxic T cell (also known as TC, CTL, T-Killer cell, cytolytic T cell, CD8+ T-cells or killer T cell)"
It did say 'Killer T cell" not "natural killer T cell"
Actually, I think that people should get marks for either - It was a stupid question imo.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
I think it was much harder than past papers and require a lot more knowledge of specifics and A LOT more extrapolation.
Skin stem cells = artificial blood?
Mutations of fungus = health not blueprint (which was the mutation of bacteria)?
Multi choice was the worst I had ever done. I usually get 20/20 and this time around I might be lucky to get 14. :/
I related the skin stem cells to the production of perferochemcials or whatever - but anyway they are synthetic and not susceptible to disease, and also while they need to be modified, the skin stem cells don't.

Meanwhile, another improvement is that they don't contain membranes, and thus no blood type match is required, and also they are mixed already. I don't know but thats what i BS'd.

ssylva

HSC
in comparison to the 2010 paper it was really good! there weren't as many animal/plant examples which was awesome. i didn't particularly like communication, but i didnt hate it. the lasik eye surgery and action potential graph i just lol'd at.
and i didnt really feel like i knew what i was talking about with the skin stem cell one...

jellybeans4me

HSC
hoping I went well in this
1 B
2 C
3 B
4 A (probably wrong)
5 B
6 D
7 B
8 D
9 C
10 D
11 A
12 B
13 A
14 B
15 B
16 A
17 D
18 A
19 A
20 C

anyone else do the human story?
damn =[
"Explain TWO alternative views of the evolutionary relationships between FOUR identified hominids of the same genus. Use diagrams to support your answer." (4 marks)
i think i made up 2 new evolutionary pathways in the exam XD

ayce93

HSC
Yea, certain it is now ~ was put off by the previous guy's answers.

ReneeApple

HSC
aren't B Cells Lymphocytes that have matured in the Bone Marrow though?? Phagocytes are Macrophages and Neutrophils?
Yeah, but I thought they were B cells.

But hey, I don't know. Cytotoxic was my original answer, but it seemed a bit weird for them to have killer and cytotoxic when we've been told the whole time that they're the same thing

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
gah for the communication option =.= I wrote wavelengths and nanometers instead of frequencies and hertz for the hearing question -.- I'll only lose one mark for that right?

haisley11

HSC
I didn't find the test too hard...just the stupid MC stuffed me up! The only two answers i changed in the MC, i changed from the correct answers to wrong answers :S Arrrrgggghhh!!

Tasha270494

HSC
gah for the communication option =.= I wrote wavelengths and nanometers instead of frequencies and hertz for the hearing question -.- I'll only lose one mark for that right?
LOL - If its the right range, yeah you'll just lose one mark I'm pretty sure

HSC
Re: 2011 HSC Biology Paper

I think i did terribly. Well, i will just have to wait and see. Anyway, what did you say about those desert lizards?

natebrah1

HSC
That's what i thought, but i'm unsure of what's the difference between Cytotoxic and Killer T cells, i put (D) but that's only because it's more correct..(scientifically speaking)
I chose killer t-cells... i remember reading somewhere that cytotoxic-t cells kill/destroy foreign molecules (w/e) with foreign antigens but killer t cells kill abnormal host cells (i.e viruses) so thats the difference between the two im fairly sure

1981Grant

HSC
Yeah i originally though Co2, but then i thought to myself. Why would the protein be carrying carbon dioxide - But i dunno you might actually be correct, because plasma is a protein, and it dissolves oxygen or carries it, so...

Sorry my head is all over the place.
The lipids are definitely carried by proteins. Plasma dissolves Carbon dioxide and its also weakly carried on haemoglobin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)