General Thoughts: Biology (1 Viewer)

desmol

HSC
Reasonably good test, but wasn't that enjoyable since they didn't put anything on the body's defence like 2nd and 3rd line of defence (since I enjoy it).
That and protein synthesis

HSC
N/A
I thought transgenics was the answer..... Isn't it? Like BT Cotton is a transgenic species, as well as super salmon?
i'm pretty sure it's transgenic species. otherwise it would've had "recombinant dna" if they wanted the process

cartoonmaiz

HSC
N/A
This was my answer for the evolution thing:

DNA replication occurs in cells and is important in the mitosis which enables organisms to grow and repair. However, mutations, which is the change of the DNA sequence, can arise during replication. This change may give rise to a new phenotype which makes the individual different from the rest of the population. Mutations that occur during replication form the basis for evolution by natural selection to occur as it provides variation within the population.
Changes in the population can arise as:
1. There exists variation in a population due to mutations in the population.
2. When there is a sudden change in the evironment, those with characteristics that give them a surviving advantage in that new environment survive better than the ones without that characteristic.
3. This enables them to survive and reproduce, passing on their characteristics to their offsprings.
4. After a long period of time change in the population can be seen.
Thus, evolution occurs.

This is essentially what I wrote in the exam. I think may have put a bit for information before the step thing, but yeah...

cartoonmaiz

HSC
N/A
I thought that ^ would get me the marks. What do you guys think is necessary that I didn't write.

HSC
N/A

DNA replication occurs in cells and is important in the mitosis which enables organisms to grow and repair. However, mutations, which is the change of the DNA sequence, can arise during replication. This change may give rise to a new phenotype which makes the individual different from the rest of the population. Mutations that occur during replication form the basis for evolution by natural selection to occur as it provides variation within the population.
2. When there is a sudden change in the evironment, those with characteristics that give them a surviving advantage in that new environment survive better than the ones without that characteristic.
3. This enables them to survive and reproduce, passing on their characteristics to their offsprings.
Thus, evolution occurs.

This is essentially what I wrote in the exam. I think may have put a bit for information before the step thing, but yeah...
what causes mutation during mitosis? it's an exact copy, isn't it? :/

BlakeOlivo

HSC
Uni Grad
I hate how they put so many of these types of 'elimination' questions. I understand that they had to make it challenging but I feel like it was too much, especially this question it was impossible for me to find out.
I was thinking
a) phloem cells are located in vascular bundle - well xylems are too
b) phloem cells have cytoplasm - all living cells do, but dead cells don't. And aren't phloem walls made out of dead cells? Not sure..
c) Xylem cells are located in leaves - they are in stems
d) Xylem cells have cell walls - all plant cells do don't they?

I still don't know the answer.....
I was mistaken, Im such an idiot. Its B. I didn't read the word "cells", but yea xylem is dead, phloem is living. Phloem would therefore have cytoplasm.

cartoonmaiz

HSC
N/A
I was just explaining DNA replication and why it happens in the body... I think that probably wasn't needed. But was there anything missing??

MsSalSa

HSC
I was mistaken, Im such an idiot. Its B. I didn't read the word "cells", but yea xylem is dead, phloem is living. Phloem would therefore have cytoplasm.
AHHH I didn't realise that phloem is living and xylem is dead. For some reason I thought they were both dead! Noooo.

RishBonjour

HSC

Thus, evolution occurs.

fuaar. nice info. do we really need to explain natural selection? don't think so
I just talked about the replication before gamete formation
+ spontaneous mutation

cartoonmaiz

HSC
N/A
Wasn't the question like the impact of DNA replication on Evolution. So i naturally thought that it was mutation... can someone clarify. My teacher answered this in a really weird way. I don't think you had to mention gamete formation because I thought if they wanted you to, they would have mentioned it...

miranda94

HSC
WHATTT!!!! We're the parts A B and C not the ossicles???? I thought they were pointing to one each, malleus incus stapes!!! Nooo oh well I explained the whole process so I should still get marks, I didn't even think of double checking I completely though they were pointing to each small bone. F@CK

S1MZ8

HSC
ye mate, A: tympanic membrane, B: Malleus, Incus, Stapes (ear ossicles) and C: Oval window

cartoonmaiz

HSC
N/A
fuaar. nice info. do we really need to explain natural selection? don't think so
I just talked about the replication before gamete formation
+ spontaneous mutation
But how did you relate that the evolution? Didn't you have to talk about how eventually a change could be seen? I think that maybe you had to mention gamete formation but mostly didn't you have to focus on the change seen in the population???

This question is really getting to me!!!

louielouiee

louielouielouielouielouie
HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Wasn't the question like the impact of DNA replication on Evolution. So i naturally thought that it was mutation... can someone clarify. My teacher answered this in a really weird way. I don't think you had to mention gamete formation because I thought if they wanted you to, they would have mentioned it...
I defined DNA replication & Evolution.
Then I went on to say that DNA replication results in identical copies of genes, also went on to say that the p53 gene always checks that the DNA is not mutated before mitosis starts. Then I talked about because DNA always replicates itself, this means that over many generations there is very little change. When using techniques such as DNA hybridisation to see evolutionary relationships, I said that because the DNA always replicates itself identically, there is little change from generation to generation and thus organisms diverge from a common ancestor. Then I talked about how humans and chimps are 98% similar and summarised my paragraph and yeah.

Hope that gets me at least 4/5

Laughable

HSC
Is it just me or did they focus a big chunk on Blueprint? WHICH ALSO HAPPENS TO BE MY WORST.
Also the Human Story option is probably the hardest one in comparison to the past papers.

tahliadeep

HSC
I defined DNA replication & Evolution.
Then I went on to say that DNA replication results in identical copies of genes, also went on to say that the p53 gene always checks that the DNA is not mutated before mitosis starts. Then I talked about because DNA always replicates itself, this means that over many generations there is very little change. When using techniques such as DNA hybridisation to see evolutionary relationships, I said that because the DNA always replicates itself identically, there is little change from generation to generation and thus organisms diverge from a common ancestor. Then I talked about how humans and chimps are 98% similar and summarised my paragraph and yeah.

Hope that gets me at least 4/5
... I did how mutations in DNA lead to favourable/unfavourable characteristics, these are passed on etc

yumcreampuffs

HSC
N/A
I found it okay :D The multiple choice threw me off abit though. But I know I got part c of the ear wrong for Communications! I put round window instead of oval window :(
And for the enzyme experiment where you had to write down the dependent and indepedent variables, could you choose between 1 of the tree (ph, substrate, temp) and then cross if off from the controls? :/
i put C as round window too!! I was so sure that was right because round window is at the lowest canal of the ear ... and oval window would've been at the front ... hope we're right :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)