General Thoughts: Economics (1 Viewer)

Lis020393

HSC
Does anyone know if the HSC economics markers mark your short answers if you write over the allocated lines?
Because I used separate booklets for the 5 markers (my handwriting's medium to large in exams) but for the 2 and 3 markers I just wrote over the dotted lines and a friend who did her economics exam last year said the HSC markers only mark what you've written in the allocated space?
I know it sounds kind of ridiculous but does anyone know if that's true or not? (If it is, I'm screwed :()

M4N1

HSC
I never prepare essays for Economics, its one of the subjects I can write on the spot (unlike English Advanced). Personally thought the MC was pretty difficult and tricky; short answers was tricky in aspects but if you had studied and applied your knowledge you could get a decent mark; essays I thought were good.

eyeswideshut

HSC
Does anyone know if the HSC economics markers mark your short answers if you write over the allocated lines?
Because I used separate booklets for the 5 markers (my handwriting's medium to large in exams) but for the 2 and 3 markers I just wrote over the dotted lines and a friend who did her economics exam last year said the HSC markers only mark what you've written in the allocated space?
I know it sounds kind of ridiculous but does anyone know if that's true or not? (If it is, I'm screwed :()
nah they mark over the lines I'm pretty sure, otherwise its ridiculous

cloudstr1f3r

HSC
No, I'm sure that they'd also mark anything under the allocated lines.

eyeswideshut

HSC
as much as i agree with you and hope that it drops that low, i dont think it really can from an 82 to a 78 within a matter of a year - my guess is it'll come down to 80 and start moving downwards from there in years to come
i don't agree. last years was definitely harder than this years. so if last year's cut off was at 80 there is no way this year is going below that. should be at 82 IMO

silence--

HSC
of course they will mark over the lines (why would they even give you the option to use extra writing booklets otherwise? :L) its just recommended not to write over the lines, because the lines are "an indicator of the length of responses required". but some questions like the case study one might just require that extra bit of writing space to get all your information down, especially if you have large writing.

also i think b6 cutoff will be stable, around what it was last year.

general consensus is that MC was harder, but whether shortanswer/essays were harder/easier is too subjective really, it could just come down to what topics you were prepared for or more confident about (statistics etc.) and which ones you weren't (labour market essay would be gg for me haha).

i reckon when it all evens out b6 cutoffs will probably be around the same.

cloudstr1f3r

HSC
i don't agree. last years was definitely harder than this years. so if last year's cut off was at 80 there is no way this year is going below that. should be at 82 IMO
It'd have to come down. MC are easy marks. Easy essays are harder to perfect than MC. If you give out nice MC, you are risking at least 5 marks of a student, and there is no way, no way anyone who'd get 20/20 for both essays here and 40/40 for short answers. Most people are going to get on average 30ish for the two essays and 35-38 for the short answers. You could drop marks. If you noticed they changed the syllabus this year to a much more simplistic one, but hard to define what they'd test.

Unfortunately, I don't agree, it'd come down to 78, given the performance of the cohort in the MCs, I'm sure they must drop the cut-off due to stripping our ability and right to gain easy marks which are the MCs.

cloudstr1f3r

HSC
of course they will mark over the lines (why would they even give you the option to use extra writing booklets otherwise? :L) its just recommended not to write over the lines, because the lines are "an indicator of the length of responses required". but some questions like the case study one might just require that extra bit of writing space to get all your information down, especially if you have large writing.

also i think b6 cutoff will be stable, around what it was last year.

general consensus is that MC was harder, but whether shortanswer/essays were harder/easier is too subjective really, it could just come down to what topics you were prepared for or more confident about (statistics etc.) and which ones you weren't (labour market essay would be gg for me haha).

i reckon when it all evens out b6 cutoffs will probably be around the same.
Hear hear, it wouldn't go up. Shot answers and Essays are subjective and there is NO absolute 20/20 example or 40/40 example.

Cut off either down by 2 or static.

eyeswideshut

HSC
Hear hear, it wouldn't go up. Shot answers and Essays are subjective and there is NO absolute 20/20 example or 40/40 example.

Cut off either down by 2 or static.
okay that's interesting. so do you think a 90 would get a 95 like last year?

cloudstr1f3r

HSC
okay that's interesting. so do you think a 90 would get a 95 like last year?
Perhaps a little bit higher, just perhaps off the 96 margin.

You see, people call essays 'easy' and short answers 'easy'. But it really comes down to the strength of the people in the topics. That's why we have Keynesian and Classical economists lol..... no one is a know it all.

cloudstr1f3r

HSC
People who think that this year's paper is harder than last year's, seriously think again.

Q28 lol, people would go off a tangent about China, EU debt crisis and nothing hypothetical. Even though I answered it in a wrong way, which I really regret or I could've gotten a high band 6...., now I'm just at the risk of scraping a band 6 with a very very conservative prediction of 79ish to at maximum 85... If I read the question in the right way and didn't go off a tangent, I would've done better. But I found positives out of the negative, talking about the effects of changes in the FX and linking it back to global and domestic possibilities may not have been bad... Thought I might have been a retard drawing a depreciation graph given I would've a prioried it to be 'current conditions' which isn't.... so, it's hard.

Cut off with go down trust me. Exchange rates is an easy topic but this essay, isn't easy.

Bobbo1

HSC
Does anyone know how hard they mark int he HSC for eco?
lol, this is just relative to your school marking, some schools have easy markers and makes it look like the hsc markers mark hard and vice versa...but what really matters is that they will (on most occassions) mark fairly across the board - raw does not matter one single bit, only on how u do relative to others

Titangod77

HSC
Do you guys know what mark was required last year for band 6?

And what mark might be adequate for a band 6 this year?

Thanks

manscux

HSC
Do you guys know what mark was required last year for band 6?

And what mark might be adequate for a band 6 this year?

Thanks
Hey udit last years cut of was 82 ish, this year might be between 84-85

Titangod77

HSC
Let's say I get 83( raw) will I get managed 88 in external exam ?

And stop saying the name...

Mjontrix

Premium Member
HSC
Are you talking to me? Haha.

Yeah after re-reading the question I figured out that my approach wouldn't be the end of the world. Because if I read the question correctly I'd go off a tangent about the European sovereign debt crisis, instead of also talking about depreciation and its effects.

So at the end of the day.... I don't think my approach actually killed me, but it had limited my ability.
Dude, I done the exact same mistake as you. Answered it the other way around. Just praying the markers aren't too strict and give me a decent mark

khfreakau

HSC
i found the paper quite challenging, especially multiple choice. i don't think i state ranked lol, i didn't like the way i did the paper at all. the questions didn't suit me... short answer was easy though, essays were okay, but you know, i don't feel confident :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)