General thoughts: English Advanced Modules Paper 2 (1 Viewer)

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
Guys can you help me estimate my raw mark for the modules?

Here's my assessment on my Module B:
MODULE A (~800 words) - Prepared response (10/10) + Answered the question (09/10) + Strong thesis (08/10) + Evidence and analysis (07/10)
MODULE B (~800 words) - Prepared response (09/10) + Answered the question (07/10) + Strong thesis (08/10) + Evidence and analysis (06/10)
MODULE C (~800 words) - Prepared response (08/10) + Answered the question (08/10) + Strong thesis (07/10) + Evidence and analysis (05/10)

All three essays were completed. What would you estimate each module to be?

Also, is there a 'correct' interpretation of the question?

Marissa97

HSC
I personally found Module A (Looking For Richard and Richard III) to be quite difficult. Anyone else?

atargainz

HSC
did anyone address the ambiguous motives of module c
yeah kinda, not as much as I would've liked, just talked about Hal's soliloquy (shakespeare) and how his motives are never clear lol. My worse one

teridax

HSC
N/A
Guys can you help me estimate my raw mark for the modules?

Here's my assessment on my Module B:
MODULE A (~800 words) - Prepared response (10/10) + Answered the question (09/10) + Strong thesis (08/10) + Evidence and analysis (07/10)
MODULE B (~800 words) - Prepared response (09/10) + Answered the question (07/10) + Strong thesis (08/10) + Evidence and analysis (06/10)
MODULE C (~800 words) - Prepared response (08/10) + Answered the question (08/10) + Strong thesis (07/10) + Evidence and analysis (05/10)

All three essays were completed. What would you estimate each module to be?

Also, is there a 'correct' interpretation of the question?
mod A: 18/20
mod B: 15/20
mod C: 14/20

however, take my estimates with a grain of salt - you'll eventually find out in december and if you decide to purchase your raw marks

depends what you mean by 'correct' interpretation. if your essay stuck to the guidelines of the rubric whilst still providing an original voice, then your interpretation will be fine. idk, there isn't really such a thing as a correct interpretation in english because it's intentionally subjective

RecklessRick

HSC
N/A
I think there was a specific word in the question that implied that you were supposed to talk about rebellion, not just control (I may be wrong, but that's how I interpreted the question)
Potential for rebellion was a good case study for the disparity between Orwell and Lang's perspectives. I did use it, but I don't think it was actually necessary to answer the question.

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
I personally found Module A (Looking For Richard and Richard III) to be quite difficult. Anyone else?
Yeah, I know what you mean...I started talking about the impact of deceit (divine retribution) and the representation of deceit through villany: for example how both composers portray the consequences of deceit through the theme of conscience and I also talks about role of language to assist in deceit though I'm unsure whether I was able to talk about how Pacino offers new insights, as he sort of copies Shakespeare in terms of the power of language but I said that Pacino offers new insights by showing how it can be reshaped in the modern context. idk,
What did you talk about??

hsclife

HSC
i thought the point of mod a is to show show how composers explore the same ideas differently (intertextual perspectives)? so for metropolis + 1984, saying that it shows distinctive qualities would be supporting the rubric?

sadpwner

HSC
N/A
I just realised how I should just said I partially agree with module c's question to avoid talking about the ambiguous part.

Last edited:

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
mod A: 18/20
mod B: 15/20
mod C: 14/20

however, take my estimates with a grain of salt - you'll eventually find out in december and if you decide to purchase your raw marks

depends what you mean by 'correct' interpretation. if your essay stuck to the guidelines of the rubric whilst still providing an original voice, then your interpretation will be fine. idk, there isn't really such a thing as a correct interpretation in english because it's intentionally subjective
I just wanted to see what others might think, because I have absolutely zero idea on how they mark it. Having said that, your feedback is very much appreciated.

And I guess there is no 'correct' interpretation. I did stick with the best of my ability to the rubric. In fact, while writing, all I had in mind was the rubric and attempting to answer the question.

The question on Module A on 'Treatment of individual desire... similar or distinct qualities of the texts.' - I interpreted "individual desire" as desire of perfecting one's self, but also argued that the treatment of relationship desires further emphasises the text's distinct qualities.

The question on Module B on 'a bleak portrait... something something... disturbed nature of the world.' - As soon as I read "bleak" I thought 'empty' and 'dead', hence arguing how the assessment of death (mortality) leads to 'a bleak portrait', but also how it disturbed the order in Hamlet's world, and finally concluded that mortality is subjective.

The question on Module C on 'Political motivations can be ambiguous, but the ultimate goal is control.' - The way I interpreted it seemed very absurd, but I argued that political actions can be ambiguous in that they may stem from long held grudges, hence leading to its wrongful use (corrupted power). I also argued that the excessive obsession for the ultimate goal of control can also lead to corrupted power.

I don't know but upon reading the others' interpretations it made me think that I was way off the answer, forgetting that English was the most subject bullsh*t ever. (Pardon me for the language.)

Last edited:

PhysicsMaths

HSC
i thought the point of mod a is to show show how composers explore the same ideas differently (intertextual perspectives)? so for metropolis + 1984, saying that it shows distinctive qualities would be supporting the rubric?
well similarities and distinctive qualities -> similarities / differences

I thought intertextual perspectives meant overarching values shared by both contexts

icecreamify

HSC
did anyone do citizen kane? because i got raped. it asked the question had two parts and one of them was about vanity and i didnt know what that meant so didnt answer basically. whats the max i can get?
Yeap I did Citizen Kane, yea found it pretty hard, but I just went with his ambition and his desire for society's attention etc.

PhysicsMaths

HSC
I just wanted to see what others might think, because I have absolutely zero idea on how they mark it. Having said that, your feedback is very much appreciated.

And I guess there is no 'correct' interpretation. I did stick with the best of my ability to the rubric. In fact, while writing, all I had in mind was the rubric and attempting to answer the question.

The question on Module A on 'Treatment of individual desire... similar or distinct qualities of the texts.' - I interpreted "individual desire" as desire of perfecting one's self, but also argued that the treatment of relationship desires further emphasis the text's distinct qualities.

The question on Module B on 'a bleak portrait... something something... disturbed nature of the world.' - As soon as I read "bleak" I thought 'empty' and 'dead', hence arguing how the assessment of death (mortality) leads to 'a bleak portrait', but also how it disturbed the order in Hamlet's world, and finally concluded that mortality is subjective.

The question on Module C on 'Political motivations can be ambiguous, but the ultimate goal is control.' - The way I interpreted it seemed very absurd, but I argued that political actions can be ambiguous in that they may stem from long held grudges, hence leading to its wrongful use (corrupted power). I also argued that the excessive obsession for the ultimate goal of control can also lead to corrupted power.

I don't know but upon reading the others' interpretations it made me think that I was way off the answer, forgetting that English was the most subject bullsh*t ever.
Hmm. Interesting point arguing that mortality is subjective. To me, I believed that mortality is the only objective truth amidst a world full of false appearances. Hamlet expresses in the graveyard scene how everyone is ultimately reduced to an insignificant "quintessence of dust"
"Alexander died, Alexander was buried, Alexander returneth to dust"

atargainz

HSC
well similarities and distinctive qualities -> similarities / differences

I thought intertextual perspectives meant overarching values shared by both contexts
intertextual perspectives have nothing to do with the context and values between the two composers. Breaking up the words, intertextual = drawing from or referencing something, perspectives = a point of view. Therefore it is the point of view or attitude the composer is trying to convey regarding contextual concerns of their time. When putting together the module and elective, we were required to compare the intertextual perspectives offered by the two composers to show how similar/differing perspectives can arise from differing contexts. Correct me if i'm wrong ... jks don't care no more english forever wooooooo

TQuadded

Breaking the limits.
HSC
Hmm...

PhysicsMaths:

The whole play is littered with religious and spiritual references, such as "a spirit of health or goblin damned", "Hyperion to a moor". Even at the very last act before Hamlet dies, he says "I'll follow you to heaven in a minute", and Horatio says "May hosts of angels sing you to sleep". This contrasts with his conclusion that we all "returneth to dust" and that "the rest is silence". This ambiguity does not mean there's a lack of textual integrity, and make it "an artistic failure". Rather, Shakespeare communicates the subjective matter of mortality as its depiction is ultimately up to our own judgements.

(Sorry for mini-argument.)

Last edited:

Mythos

HSC
intertextual perspectives have nothing to do with the context and values between the two composers. Breaking up the words, intertextual = drawing from or referencing something, perspectives = a point of view. Therefore it is the point of view or attitude the composer is trying to convey regarding contextual concerns of their time. When putting together the module and elective, we were required to compare the intertextual perspectives offered by the two composers to show how similar/differing perspectives can arise from differing contexts. Correct me if i'm wrong ... jks don't care no more english forever wooooooo
wat, isn't that basically values and context? lol nws english is done

Ununoctium

Che barba
HSC
This could not be more wrong.

Straight from the syllabus:

Module A: Comparative Study of Texts and Context

This module requires students to compare texts in order to explore them in relation to their contexts. It develops students’ understanding of the effects of context and questions of value.

Each elective in this module requires the study of groups of texts which are to be selected from a prescribed text list. These texts may be in different forms or media.

Students examine ways in which social, cultural and historical context influences aspects of texts, or the ways in which changes in context lead to changed values being reflected in texts. This includes study and use of the language of texts, consideration of purposes and audiences, and analysis of the content, values and attitudes conveyed through a range of readings.

Students develop a range of imaginative, interpretive and analytical compositions that relate to the comparative study of texts and context. These compositions may be realised in a variety of forms and media.

The question for Module A was deceptive. You had to explicitly and extensively discuss context AND answer the question provided.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)